Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gloves for shooting matches?

harryorwell

I'm new to all this but was wondering why folks don't use gloves more...especially the folks that have grip slip issues etc. seems to me a set of thin golf gloves would feel great. I know some wear gloves but can't figure why more don't. Is it a feel thing?

P.s. maybe someone could recommend the better gloves for competition shooting...thx.

You and me both. A lot of the OFs around here give me a hard time for wearing gloves.

Having experienced an unanticipated case head separation as a result of an AMERC case slipping in with my brass, I now consider them mandatory safety equipment.

I have neuropathy of the hands. Everything feels slippery and I find it very difficult to get a consistent grip and even racking a slide. I started using regular leather golf gloves and weight lifter gloves. Neither were much better. I've since found the cheap synthetic golf gloves give a FAR better purchase particularly on synthetic grips and I have no difficulty racking slides or getting a secure grip. Granted, they force you to pay attention during mag changes which would slow down higher ranked shooters but as a 67 year old D-C shooter I'm not much of a threat to them anyway. I confine my shooting to enjoyment and working on all A's, let the clock be damned. One thing tho, I cut off the trigger finger off the glove as I found it sometimes interferes with what little finger feel I have left and sometimes would be a problem getting the finger into the trigger guard. Of course, YRMV.

I think it's because there are better ways to solve grip/slip issues than gloves. Grip tape in the right places can do wonders. Some type of fast dry liquid (Pro Grip or similar) should also always be in your bag to take care of sweat. Gloves will reduce your dexterity and I would be more worried about magazine changes and even fine trigger manipulation. It seems like adding another layer between your hands and the gun will almost always produce more opportunity to have your grip shift on you and will reduce feel and dexterity.

Seriously, you guys should try some type of liquid hand chalk. It's amazing how much it improves your grip on hot days. There are a few brands like ProGrip that are sold through your favorite shooting suppliers but I found something stuff called "Power Grip liquid hand chalk" on the shelf at my local Home Depot. It isn't quite as good but the convince of picking it up locally is a plus.

After using this stuff on hot days going without feels like you are trying to shoot with a wet fish.

Nomex aviator gloves that are issued at work. Gloves are primarily to protect hands from environmental hazards, not to cure slippery grip. They work fine for both.

Gloves do slow down gun manipulation a bit. For competition ProGrip is a better solution.

I tried gloves just for the sake of it at the range and hated it. My trigger control was sacrificed for grip and I didn't like the feel. If you have grip issues try strengthening your grip or grip tape. Sweat can be cleared with chalk or dirt if need be.

I have worn gloves on several occasions, and have found that a pair of Easton batting gloves with their vibration reduction system work the best for me. Great grip for all firearms, tight enough to manipulate all controls/reloads and even help keep my hands warm on cold days.

I love gear and especially gloves, I'll own a pair for gardening, handy man work, motorcycle riding, cold weather, etc. So when I started competing I said heck yeah I'll use gloves! But only to find that I'd have to put it on and take it off when having to tape targets, so I eventually gave up wearing gloves altogether, when it's cold out, I'll just use those pocket hand warmers in my pockets!

There is not a single top tier practical pistol competitor I'm aware of who wears gloves under any match conditions .... There's a hint in there somewhere ...

Edited by Nimitz

I only wear gloves when running a pistol caliber carbine and a saiga 12 (only one match a year). Gloves hang up on the lifter when reloading shotgun so they only come out for resetting steel targets.

Bicycle riding gloves.....the kind where the end of each finger/thumb is missing. I never have to take them off for doing things like taping targets, etc. I started wearing them after doing 4 day handgun courses where your hands started to get kind of beat up. (OK, I'll admit...typing on a keyboard for a living doesn't do much for calluses.)