Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Private Party Transfer

While I admit that I'm naive regarding this, I have done quite a few PPT's and have had very good luck. So with that being said, I have run across a s&w 500 ES kit gun 2 3/4 inch barrel for basically a song steal. The one thing that causes a red flag is that the seller would settle for a trade plus cash. When I asked him what he would like for a trade, he basically said any type of semi auto + 500.00 cash and I responded with depending on what firearm I would trade, It may affect the cash difference. He responded that he wasn't very picky at all as long as he got around 400-500 cash in addition.

My question to whoever wants to chime in is when a firearm could come up being stolen based on the serial #, that would obviously halt the sale of the firearm and the transaction dros would halt. In a straight trade, I would think the party with the other firearm would stop the trade based on the other being stolen and from there the authorities will handle as such. Has anyone ever experience this type of transaction and if so, do you have any protection with cash?

I really want this piece but I'm probably going to entertain the idea of giving him the cash after the dros is completed. Being in Cali, that would be 10days. Based on his reaction to this will probably help with my decision in the first place. LOL... Thanks in advance with your replies.

Going through a FFL gives no protection from receiving a stolen firearm. No serial numbers or brand name are given during a NICS check, only the information of the buyer and type firearm - long gun, handgun or other are the only allowed descriptions.

Edited by retarmyaviator

It sounds sketchy, I would walk.

You start the DROS on his 500 at the same time he starts the DROS on your auto, the 500 does come back stollen, you walk away empty handed. The FFL can't just give you your auto back once you've transferred it.

If the work "stolen" even enters your mind, but you're still willing to take the risk, I would try to work a buy instead of a trade, it would be much more simple.

Sounds like a twist on an old Craig's List or EBay scam .....Con man: i want to buy that green Widgit you have for sale for $500 ...You: Great! Con Man: I'm sending you a bank check for $1,000 and just cash it, keep what you need and send me the remaining $500 ...."

You: sounds good ..

Only problem is the bank check is a fake and you're out $500 plus your item ....

You could take the serial # down to the local police station and have them run a check on it.

I don't know about where you live, but where I am they can't do that any more; now they need a case number to go with and records request.

Around here the cops will come to your house to check a gun. There's also an FDLE stolen gun search page online. I would just tell the guy no deal until all due diligence is complete. Hold your cash until DROS is done and serial number checks out. I usually only buy guns from fellow CCW permit holders as there's less chance of running afoul.

Hold your cash until DROS is done and serial number checks out.

Has anyone ever transfered a gun to you without exchanging the cash first? I know I wouldn't, would you just trust a guy to give you the cash ten days after the pistol is legally transfered into his name?

The DROS is not the time to figure out if the gun is clean or not; if you're not positive don't start the paperwork, once it starts, the gun is no longer yours and it would be hell trying to get it back.

Edited by kneelingatlas

From OK here, when we fill out a 4473 all that the dealer calls in is the buyers info and whether its a handgun, long gun, or receiver. The gun's info does go on the 4473 but it stays with the dealer.

I'd imagine that if you walked into a police station with a gun wanting them to run the serial number and it does come back stolen the very next thing they will do is ask you to put your hands behind your back.

Personally I won't do a private party deal without an FFL involved. I will pay the transfer fee. Piece of mind that the gun is not stolen and the person is legal to own it.

They are written on the 4473 but they have nothing to do with the NICS check, which just seeks to check if you are a prohibited possessor.

Thanks for all the info. In california we all have to go through an ffl regardless. What I may do is ask him for the serial # to check what year it was made and check with a friend of mine who is a burbank officer to check the serial. Thank you again and if there is any additional info, I am all ears.

• 3 weeks later...