Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is not having primer issues with the 1050 ?

We always seem to hear about what we are having problems with. I would like to hear from the ones not having any problems.

I always say no one ever calls to say you are doing a great job and I want to give you more money. It's always the problems we hear about.

I am not having any yet but have only loaded about 1000 rds.

SR

I haven't had any problems lately. No big deal when I do though, just change out the plastic oraface and go back to loading.

I guess if I just changed it every "x" number of rounds I would never have any problems but where is the fun in that.

We have had a huge influx of new reloaders recently. Many of them reloading for the first time on realitively complicated machines. That is likely the main problem.

Also why BE is a fan of the 550, closest thing to a SS Dillon sells.

Edited by jmorris

I recently had some problem on mine. The blue platic (small priming system) that is on the bottom end of the primer tube got mangled for some reason and it was a pain to deal with. Lots of wasted precious primers. I had to somewhat reshape it to get it back to work. That reminds me buy a 1050 spare parts kit. I hope its there. Plastic is nice but for a 1050, i think it should be a better material that shouldn't go out of shape. Its built for high volume production.

Im a last minute reloader, its frustrating when there are issues. Eats away precious time for dry fire warm up =)

Only issues I have had have been traced back to a bad piece of brass, incomplete swaging, poor primer punching(had the face of the primer punch, but not the body). When you dont catch one of those issues then you get a mangled primer stuck in the shuttle.

When I load with good brass(my own fully prepped .223 or 300BLK) I can load thousands with zero issues. Most of my primer issues lie with shitty range pickup 9mm brass.

I've owned 5 1050s (3 currently). No primer issues with any of them.

The only maintenance is changing out the blue plastic primer funnel and the rubber sleeve on the primer slide.

The 650 has a brass funnel because you don't push a primer back into the tube if the priming station is open. I'd rather change out the plastic funnel when needed v. a possible detonation any day.

None that havent been caused by insufficient swaging or a dirty press.

Same here. I've got three S 1050s and a RL 1050 and the only headache with priming has always been related to swaging adjustments.

I've only had problems with brass where part of the old primer remained stuck in the primer pocket, even after the decapper had been through it, which isn't the fault of the 1050. I've since changed the spent primer disposal system, using a .223 case, a piece of clear tubing and a soft-drink can, so I can see and hear the spent primer.

After I did this:

First, check the rubber tubing on the post at the back of the primer slide. You want the part of the tubing that "touches" to always be in perfect condition, showing absolutely no wear or "denting."

You can either rotate it a bit, or buy foot of it at an auto parts store - which will last you forever.

Then with that variable removed, this is what made my 1050's priming system 100% reliable: Add or remove the .001" shims from under part# 13108, until - with the machine at rest - drop a single primer down the primer magazine tube, and it should drop into its hole in the primer slide - 10 times in a row.

... I never had any priming problems, over loading hundreds of thousands of rounds.

• 1 month later...

None that havent been caused by insufficient swaging or a dirty press.

Same here. I've got three S 1050s and a RL 1050 and the only headache with priming has always been related to swaging adjustments.

Given no problems with the primer system (none of my new 1050 with about 15,000 rounds), I am curious about two things - why so many presses? Do have an 06 or 07? and, what does break on th 1050? What spare parts should I stock up on? I have been running a 650 for almost 15 years and have had problems with almost everything except the platform over the years. In fact, I have gone through 3 indexer rings in the last three months and only 1 in the previous 15 years.

Big problems when my large primer setup hits a small primer 45ACP. Freaking Dillon. Smooth sailing other than that.

Just starting to run into this issue. I have been doing mostly 40S&W which is super easy.

Other than hand sorting a couple of thousand cases, what is the answer for dealing with .45 small primers?