Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun 10+1 or bigger for tac ops?

jriggs

so I used my versa max competition for the first time last weekend at the shoot house shoot out and I loved it. I was running the +2 extension on the end so my capacity was 10+1. all stages began with 9 total in the shotgun with an empty chamber...and for just about all the stages the 10+1 worked great but I did see two different opportunities where a 12+1 would have been perfect for hitting additional targets with the shotgun (the specific targets I'm talking about could either be engaged with shotty or pistol) I decided to drop the empty shotgun and go to pistol instead of reloading. but had I had 12+1 I would have been able to load early and shoot all the targets with my shotty and then move onto the last 8 targets with my pistol.

so my question is.....

what are most guys running for capacity in their Tac Ops shotguns. i really don't want a 14 round tube on there but was thinking 12-13 would be perfect.

thanks,

riggs

There are trade-offs...the longer tube may restrict you in some movements and positions, you will need to change the spring more frequently. I run 10+1 and so far, I have not seen a situation where loading 1 or 2 more shells would have improved my scorecard. But 6" less tube sticking out has benefited me in a few cases.

Most matches will start you with 8 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. Starting 9 in the tube and empty chamber is not typical.

Sometimes.. and not very often, night matches is my current example, matches will only have 'Open' - so it is nice to start with 12+1 in those cases, and not have to change your setup

ETA - if I didn't have a 24" barrel, not sure I would go that long, it would look too funny for me

Edited by D.Hayden

the reason I ask is because I was checking out the Lancer +3 extensions yesterday and they're pretty much identical to the Versa Max extension...so either Lancer is making those for Remington or they're both buying from the same manufacturer. either way the +3 is only about 1.5" longer and the +4 is about 2.25" longer...I was thinking at minimum to snag the +3 for that extra shell for those "DOPE" moments...which I'm hoping I don't have but I know I will :)

the reason I ask is because I was checking out the Lancer +3 extensions yesterday and they're pretty much identical to the Versa Max extension...so either Lancer is making those for Remington or they're both buying from the same manufacturer. either way the +3 is only about 1.5" longer and the +4 is about 2.25" longer...I was thinking at minimum to snag the +3 for that extra shell for those "DOPE" moments...which I'm hoping I don't have but I know I will :)

Listen to my opinion or not, I would NEVER use carbon fiber in a wear condition. The health hazard alone is not worth it.

what "health hazard" are you talking about? the VM comp comes with a carbon extension....

and by wear do you mean the way the carbon gets eaten up by the gas leaving the end of the barrel?

I have a 10+1 and have regretted not buying a 12+1. The last match I shot, it would have sucked having a long tube on this table abandonment but the stage planning flexibility outweighs that imo.

what "health hazard" are you talking about? the VM comp comes with a carbon extension....

and by wear do you mean the way the carbon gets eaten up by the gas leaving the end of the barrel?

Carbon fiber dust is not good to breath. When you have buffers springs and shell rims running against the unfinished fibers, it will abrade and create dust. Those particles are like miniature barbs in the lungs. Also a big reason we do not put slots in our hand guards...not good in the skin either.

Believe me, I looked at CF buffer tubes and magazine extensions...took very little to realize it was not a good idea.

I'll probably get more hate mail again, but one thing I take seriously is undue risk.

The combustion gases are not good either, never had that in any designs we sold, just tested it.

Edited by MarkCO

The other thing I should add is that I load quads. If I shoot an array of 4 at the first position (not unusual) I can load 8 just as quickly as I could load 6 (more or less).

If you quad load, 12+1 lets you load a quad right after the beep.

I have been shooting a 14+1 setup and I like it a lot. For me, flexible stage planning outweighs the occasional close quarters awkwardness.

Best is to have several choices. I have an MXT on my Stoeger, and I bring a +6 up to a +9 tube to big matches. I look for the stage most likely to screw me on the shotgun, and pick the tube that works best for that stage. Once the match starts most places won't let you swap extensions.

I would suggest the best use of a 12 round tube is for quad loading---it means you can stuff four shells quickly right after the beep. Not to say it might not come in handy other times, but I basically felt like 10 in the tube (meaning, load two over capacity right at start) seemed fine...until I started quad loading.

Carbon fiber dust is not good to breath. When you have buffers springs and shell rims running against the unfinished fibers, it will abrade and create dust. Those particles are like miniature barbs in the lungs. Also a big reason we do not put slots in our hand guards...not good in the skin either.

Believe me, I looked at CF buffer tubes and magazine extensions...took very little to realize it was not a good idea.

I'll probably get more hate mail again, but one thing I take seriously is undue risk.

The combustion gases are not good either, never had that in any designs we sold, just tested it.

I've read marks post about the carbon fiber dust before. He know a lot more about it then I, but I have taken his advice to heart. There is nothing in this sport worth killing my self for.

Your body can't break down carbon fiber. Once it is in you, it is not coming out and just keep get deeper in your lungs and it can create some nasty health problems.

I hope this dose not come a cross wrong but just trying to look out for a fellow shooter.

It's nice to have something in multiples of 4 for quad loading. I considered 11 because from an empty chamber and using an AutoLoad shotgun it would let you toss 3 quads. I settled on 12 in the tube since even with a 28" barrel the tube was still slightly longer and I wanted to have the option of tossing a quad as soon as I picked up the gun. If in doubt get a 10 round tube and a plus 2 extension.

Not that I'm doubting but I'd be really interested in seeing how much wear there is inside an extension such as the one on the VM comp over say 1000 rounds? I've now got exactly 300 through mine and I'm going to mic the inside and take some photos.... Then I'm gonna check it at 1000 and see he much wear is taking place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk