Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 Press. How long will this go on - UPDATE ON FIX

Like many of you here and even more out there who are not on the forum, we experience a very common and flat out PITA with Dillon and primer feed trouble. Guys this is a $1,700.00 machine and has had the same issue for the past 10 years. I have to ask why. Any manufacturer of a great product is proud of it. The have a right to be, they offer the best warranty I have ever seen on their line of loading equipment with the exception of the Super 1050. I can not tell you how many emails I have read thanking Dillon for doing such a good job. And frankly is the reason I have owned three.

This all said, I feel they have just ignored or put their head in the sand when it comes to the primer issue with the 1050. Perhaps you did not know this problem, and if you do not own a 1050 guess you would not. Read many of the threads on BE and see all the years of frustration and wasted hours working on a design issue that I feel is the responsibility of Dillon the manufacturer.

I doubt that the buying public would allow such a disrespect for the customer to not even get involved and redesign or find a cure for these issue of any other product.

But to my dismay I have never seen in any blog or problem thread where Dillon acknowledge that this is a big issue. Says we are sorry and are actively seeking a fix.

Just say ok, will send you some parts. Won't fix their issue but we shut up. UNTill we have the same things start up again.

Hey Dillon..... How about some real help and not just hide from it.

UPDATE ON FIX ADDED TOWARD THE END OF THE THREAD

JMHO

Ken

:cheers:

Edited by benos
Update added by Admin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken,

as a new 1050 owner I have already had this issue, Primer pockets on WCC headstamps not getting 100% swaged, and primers getting "crushed" or stuck in the Primer slide tray... and it is for this issue that I bought the 1050, so that I would not have to deal with crimped pockets, or crushed primers.

I agree, Help us Dillon.. This is a Commercial grade press that is not doing all the things we the customers bought it for.

WCC (5.56) is the only primer I have had issues with on my S1050. I would have thought S&B (.38) would have been a problem but no issue.

I bought this

http://ballistictools.com/store/reloading-products/three-gage-pack

To set up my swage And my last batch of WCC went through the press just fine.

I'm up around 14-15K rounds spread between .45 ACP, .38 Spcl, 30-06, and 5.56 (soon .308). 5.56 has been the only brass that gave me primer troubles and it was specifically WCC (08/10).

I think I've been lucky I haven't had an issue.

Edited by pmclaine

I load/process lots of GI brass through my 1050s.

No issues. I have three of them on my bench.

Wish I could be more help, but I have owned about 6-7 different RL-1050s and Supers over the years. Once I got the primer swage station adjusted correctly, it worked fine.

I truly envy you guys who run the 1K runs. I 1K is more like 200. I load 9mm also and use WCC brass. This is my third loader from Dillon and all have had the problem

Funny thing is this seems to not be a universal problem. But when you get it it is a PITA or worse.

All I ask Dillon to do is use its resources and find what is causing the trouble and then come up tith a fix. I just hate to be treated like I am stupid when talking with them

They always say we have heard this a few time but not many. My answer is B S

I agree, come on Dillon show us the class manufacture your are and take care of your customers.

I was pretty dissipointed to find that the 1050 uses the same primer oraface that the 550 and SD use as I came to enjoy the brass one on the 650.

There are some that use the 650 tube in the 1050 but I am not one of them. I just replace the tip when there is an issue. Set it up right and keep the system clean and it will last many thousands of rounds.

If you can't load 200 rounds without a primer issue, you have a setup problem and/need some new parts.

Edited by jmorris

I dunno if I can get on this bandwagon. When I bought my S1050 it came setup for 9mm. I ran mostly WCC brass and had no issues. Then I converted to a couple other calibers and every time I came back to 9mm I had primer issues. 2-3 smashed per 100 kind of issues which is a big deal. I finally found what I think is the ‘magic’:

• Use business card as gauge to space white retaining tab off brass
  • Shell plate on the loose side
  • Proper (deeper) swage on military brass

These days I run 1,000 rounds without a primer issue.

But I feel Ken’s pain and understand where he is coming from.

I have 2 1050's and have never had a swage issue. I had a bucket load of primer issues, but I fixed it. I was getting 5-10 crushed backwards primers per 100. Switched to CCI primers and now it is 1-3 per THOUSAND. I also run a RF100 and that is where i discovered the problem. A lot of the Win primers wouldn't even enter the tube because they were slightly out of round.

I guess I'm a pretty lucky guy. The only time I had problems with my S1050's primer system is when I didn't reassemble the primer system correctly after processing 223 brass.

It wasn't the machine, it was me!

Thanks for all the input. Here is the skinny. I have loaded on Dillon presses for 15 years. I know the proper way to set up a 1050. Operator Error.... No Way !

Gary at dillon and I have walked through this mess five times, with me doing each of the items he ask me to do. I used the business card, looser shell plate, tighter shell plate, different brass, different primer brand, kept the machine well cleaned and properly lubed per Dillon spec. Still this BS

Another issue now has joined the fight. The primer feed bar that moved the new primer under the punch will not travel all the way in. This it locks up the machine as its trying to send the primer purch into the 1/4 " steel bar. Ok before you ask, I have polished the prime bar like it was a match trigger. I have also cleaned and smoothed the trach this rides in below the shell plate. Have made sure the rubber is on the slide bar pin, even smoothed and polished the actuator arm that moves the primer bar. Just about three days work and still does not work. As I have said this is not a cheap piece of junk. $1,700.00 is a lot. The best so far I have run without issue is 400 rounds. That was before is wont even prime.

My plan is to call Dillon today, I am only going to speak to upper management and try in a businesslike and professional manner to get this resolved. If they do not help me, then I will be pursuing different sources.

I had the same issue and mine was the adjustment on the lever that slides the bar back and forth. It was very aggravating but I walked away from it for a couple of hours and came back to try again. This time I was able to get it adjusted correct. They are great machines but at times can drive you crazy.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I have a half-done drawing in CAD for a brass primer oriface for the 1050 that would still give you the safety of the plastic one.

Regarding the timing/positioning issue, Dillon could fix this by making the post on the toolhead adjustable from front to back.

On the modern design for the cam arm that moves the slide, there's that very thin spot that in my experience bends very easily, which can make getting the positioning right almost impossible once it's bent. I've seen pictures of older presses where this is more solid.

Another trick, replace the rear spring with a stack of #8 washers. Add washers until the positioning is almost correct, fine tune by moving the cam leg around as usual. There's no need for the rear spring to be a spring really, and it just adds another variable to the mess. Just be careful, too many washers will bend your leg, so err on the side of too few.

• Proper (deeper) swage on military brass

The problem I run into is that to swage hard enough to really avoid all primer issues on the 1050 means that all the other dies are varying with the thickness of the web of whatever's getting swaged. Usually amounts to about 0.004 variation in sizing and trim if the brass is all the same headstamp. That's acceptable, but just barely.

I just now got off the phone with Dillon. Spoke with Gary, who is the GM when the Dillons are not there. So I figure he is the man.

We again went over all the possible problems and what to check, We both came to the consultation blowing it up might be best.

I went back to the loading room and just cycled the press while sitting in front of it. After maybe 10 times I accidentally noticed that the Primer Safety tube moved or flexed when the handle was almost all the way down. The I notice that this happens when the machine locks up. Hummmm

I new unscrewed this part just a few turns to remove and pressure from it and cycled the machine. After 25 times my arm was tired and I called Dillon back. Their answer was that tube is not supposed to move at all.

Gary is sending me an new prime safety tube, a new magazine tube and his best wishes. We both think this is it and will try and report back.

Hopefully this is not a just throw some parts on it and pray.

Ken

:sight:

I hope thie new primer assembly is the correct solution for you!

When I wrote above about me not properly reassembling the primer assembly correctly, it was the lever arm bracket (13001) not being set to the correct height. It was somewhat tedious adjusting that, but not too bad. You might want to keep an eye on that while you switch out your old parts with the new.

The other thing I reinstalled incorrectly, which I'm half embarrassed to admit is I reinstalled the primer slide stop (13108) 90 degrees from its proper position.

Hopefully my mistakes can save someone from the lack of frustration I put myself through!

When I bring the handle down to seat a new primer is when I can see the post moving. It appears to be tourque related and is most noticeable when trying to move the primer slide to the end position. That is where the problem happens. Last night I shimmed this tube up just a little and then retighten the screws. That small amount of added space allowed to unit to function as I expected.

Ok,,, when the new part comes, the proof will be in the puddin.

When I bring the handle down to seat a new primer is when I can see the post moving. It appears to be tourque related and is most noticeable when trying to move the primer slide to the end position. That is where the problem happens. Last night I shimmed this tube up just a little and then retighten the screws. That small amount of added space allowed to unit to function as I expected.

Ok,,, when the new part comes, the proof will be in the puddin.

Would it make a difference if you'd raise the lever arm bracket? Perhaps it's too low and causing the torque?

any updates on this? I have a still in the box 1050 and would like to know if/when it happens to me what was causing it. Now do you think this problem you are having and what you think is it is going to to fix the other machines having the similar problems or just yours?

News Flash !

The parts did not fix the trouble. I have talked to Steve Dillon last Friday and have a RMA and the 1050 is leaving in the morning. A promise was made it would return right and working 100 %. So I guess I can see first hand just what back the Big Blue Press.

I will report back what they find, and a review of what all has happened.

I hope you never have a problem as I have. Many have not. Good Luck.

Not having these problems, I can only say that there is either something wrong with your swage rod or your adjustment. I have used a .223 Back-Up Expander to be sure that I was actually contacting the bottom of the case and I didn't need the case mouth flare at that step as the powder funnel handles expansion/flare just fine. May not have been of any use, but at least I know the back-up die is supporting the case while swaging.

Priming problems, for me, have been a matter of alignment and cleanliness.

Not having these problems, I can only say that there is either something wrong with your swage rod or your adjustment. I have used a .223 Back-Up Expander to be sure that I was actually contacting the bottom of the case and I didn't need the case mouth flare at that step as the powder funnel handles expansion/flare just fine. May not have been of any use, but at least I know the back-up die is supporting the case while swaging.

Priming problems, for me, have been a matter of alignment and cleanliness.

I only load 9mm loads. Use only one head stamp brass. So I do not use the swage, thus it does not come into issue. I have loaded many rounds on this press and only recently has it started screwing up. I think if four guys from Dillon and two here in my shop cannot set it up correctly we all should quit.

Just saying !