Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 Press. How long will this go on - UPDATE ON FIX

I, like you, would not trade my 6 Dillon machines for anything. I have removed the white plastic index part on both my 1050's and have to visually observe the primer on the slide as it moves towards the brass for every pull. Negates any speed.

Can't wait to hear how your machine comes out.

PS for newbies...I have loaded and own RCBS, Lyman, Pacific/Hornady, Star, and MEC, since 1982. Dillon is the way to go.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a local guy that refused to use a swage rod in his 1050 because he was using commercial brass. His machine was giving him fits left and right.

We added in the swage rod back in and adjusted it. Now it runs perfect.

Well, I am using commercial brass. The problem is not getting the primer to go in. Its the bar that moves the primer from under the primer feed tube to where the press seats it in the primer hole. The slide bar that carries the primer will not go all the way forward so the machine comes down on it and stops things. I can manually move the bar by hand and it will then go all the way forward but not on its own. Believe me if I thought the swage was causing this problem I would replace it now.

The brass I load Is WIN 9mm Luger

I saw that exact thing happen a while back with a buddies 1050. He was using all commercial brass and did not want to run a swage rod.

Every once in a while the primer slide would bind and give him fits.

We installed/adjusted the swage rod, replaced the primer magazine tip and also adjusted the primer magazine assembly.

Runs perfect now.

I have an RL1050. I do not swage on the 1050.

I have loaded; 9mm, 40, 45, and 223. The .223 I swage with a Dillon Super Swage.

I rarely had primer issues. Out of a couple of thousand rounds I may get 1. Rarely to do I get a crushed primer in the slide bar but it has happened. Inverted primers were caused by the Dillon Auto Primer. That has turned out to be a POS but still better than doing primer pickup by hand.

I pretty much standardized on Federal primers. The brass has been all different kinds.

Sorry to hear about your primer issues, they can be a real PIA.

Good luck with Dillon.

I have also got a few crushed primers over time, but very few. I cannot get the primer to get anywhere near the brass primer hole before it jams the machine up. Hopefully I soon will find out what Dillon has to say. I will report back the findings even it it turns out to be my fault. Thanks for your input.

Being mailed today. They called and said they had discovered three problems. From their discription all sound like MY error. I had a bent index bar, primer tube on backwards, and the shell plate was out of spec. So today I am sending overnight 10 ea. Brass, Bullets, and they have Win SP primers there already.

So, it may be me with egg on his face. More later as this issue develops further.

Hopefully, I will hear the final word from Dillon. I will leave their findings, and what was done to fix the trouble. Maybe you guys will never go through this problem. Gosh, I will even be honest and tell you what part I played in it not working.

News at 10 film at 11

I wouldn't necessarily believe everything you're told. Let's just see how it runs. Lots of folks seem to blame the brass. For me, it is primers sideways.

Exactly. The primer catches one side of the pocket and gets twisted while trying to be seated. The end results is a sideways or mangled primer.

Thats why I always recommend using the swage rod even when not using GI brass.

I have the same issue. I have run 1000 9MM before the wheels fell off the last time but about 2 out of 100 rounds didn't get a primer. As soon as I saw these I stopped, vacuumed up all the spilt powder before continuing. When the press locked up at 1000 rounds the gun needed complete disassembly of the top end. I regularly process 223 brass without issue. That brass loaded on a 550 is "perfect". I am about to attempt to load 223 on the 1050 again but worry I will be back with the press locked up again. My issues all are primer related. No primer, spilt powder, then either the powder or the primer locks up the machine.

When I hear stories of people running 1000 rounds in under an hour I just don't see how. I can get 300-350an hour out of my 550.

One thing I do believe, you can't mount the 1050 rigid enough. Mine is tied to the wall, floor on a layer of plywood laminated between 2 layers of press board and it still could be mounted more securely.

Edited by Why1504

When I hear stories of people running 1000 rounds in under an hour I just don't see how. I can get 300-350an hour out of my 550.

I can do it with good brass. My .223 and 300BLK is all prepped on another 1050 and I have no problem cranking 1000 rounds an hour. I am re-swaging the primer pockets too just to make sure they are GTG. 9mm, now thats another story, but I am using un-processed range pickup shit brass for the most part. Im guessing the second time through with all my 9mm brass will be a lot better since all of the really bad stuff got culled on the first go round.

I can do it with good brass. My .223 and 300BLK is all prepped on another 1050 and I have no problem cranking 1000 rounds an hour. I am re-swaging the primer pockets too just to make sure they are GTG. 9mm, now thats another story, but I am using un-processed range pickup shit brass for the most part. Im guessing the second time through with all my 9mm brass will be a lot better since all of the really bad stuff got culled on the first go round.

I have had better success with 9MM than 223. I have never run more than 250 rounds of 223 with out the press completely locking up. I ordered a set of 40 S&W dies, some bullets and brass. Do I set the 40 up on the 1050, or the 550?

NEW UP-DATE

​Just now I got a call from Gary at Dillon Precision and told me they just shipped back my press via Fedex. Looks like the final word is that what was wrong was my fault. The magazine tube for primers was backward, dies were not quite adjusted right, and I had put a aftermarket shell plate on found on Ebay. It was so far out of spec that even the center shaft hole was oval. They also replaced the slide bar primer rod and springs and adjusted the machine. I had sent them brass, and bullets and they had primers so they could test the machine on my components.

The 1050 should be here by Thursday or Friday and I will get it mounted back on the bench and give the final report. Yes, I was angry at Dillon, some of it was deserved, but most was not. My feeling is that you could not buy from a better company or one who deals with the up most of business ethics. Truly amazing given today's business climate.

PS: THE CHARGE $0.00

WOW

I have a feeling there will be a lot more posts like yours to come, with after market parts being more popular.

However, hard to bash a company for their product when you are using parts they didn't make and I don't remember that detail in any of your earlier posts.

Like many of you here and even more out there who are not on the forum, we experience a very common and flat out PITA with Dillon and primer feed trouble. Guys this is a $1,700.00 machine and has had the same issue for the past 10 years. I have to ask why. Any manufacturer of a great product is proud of it. The have a right to be, they offer the best warranty I have ever seen on their line of loading equipment with the exception of the Super 1050. I can not tell you how many emails I have read thanking Dillon for doing such a good job. And frankly is the reason I have owned three.

This all said, I feel they have just ignored or put their head in the sand when it comes to the primer issue with the 1050. Perhaps you did not know this problem, and if you do not own a 1050 guess you would not. Read many of the threads on BE and see all the years of frustration and wasted hours working on a design issue that I feel is the responsibility of Dillon the manufacturer.

I doubt that the buying public would allow such a disrespect for the customer to not even get involved and redesign or find a cure for these issue of any other product.

But to my dismay I have never seen in any blog or problem thread where Dillon acknowledge that this is a big issue. Says we are sorry and are actively seeking a fix.

Just say ok, will send you some parts. Won't fix their issue but we shut up. UNTill we have the same things start up again.

Hey Dillon..... How about some real help and not just hide from it.

JMHO

Ken

:cheers:

I would have charged you.

JMHO

Edited by Scott Steele

However, hard to bash a company for their product when you are using parts they didn't make and I don't remember that detail in any of your earlier posts.

^this, glad they got your straightened out, chalk it up as a lesson learned and enjoy your s1050!

~g

​Just now I got a call from Gary at Dillon Precision and told me they just shipped back my press via Fedex. Looks like the final word is that what was wrong was my fault. The magazine tube for primers was backward, dies were not quite adjusted right, and I had put a aftermarket shell plate on found on Ebay. It was so far out of spec that even the center shaft hole was oval. They also replaced the slide bar primer rod and springs and adjusted the machine. I had sent them brass, and bullets and they had primers so they could test the machine on my components.

The 1050 should be here by Thursday or Friday and I will get it mounted back on the bench and give the final report. Yes, I was angry at Dillon, some of it was deserved, but most was not. My feeling is that you could not buy from a better company or one who deals with the up most of business ethics. Truly amazing given today's business climate.

Hmm, after rereading your original post after having read your update post, I'd say you owe them a distinct and heart felt apology. I am not sure what part Dillon deserved. You placed all the blame on them in the original post and laid it on pretty thick, never mentioning for that matter the use of critical components that were sourced aftermarket.

JMHO.

Like many of you here and even more out there who are not on the forum, we experience a very common and flat out PITA with Dillon and primer feed trouble. Guys this is a $1,700.00 machine and has had the same issue for the past 10 years. I have to ask why. Any manufacturer of a great product is proud of it. The have a right to be, they offer the best warranty I have ever seen on their line of loading equipment with the exception of the Super 1050. I can not tell you how many emails I have read thanking Dillon for doing such a good job. And frankly is the reason I have owned three.

This all said, I feel they have just ignored or put their head in the sand when it comes to the primer issue with the 1050. Perhaps you did not know this problem, and if you do not own a 1050 guess you would not. Read many of the threads on BE and see all the years of frustration and wasted hours working on a design issue that I feel is the responsibility of Dillon the manufacturer.

I doubt that the buying public would allow such a disrespect for the customer to not even get involved and redesign or find a cure for these issue of any other product.

But to my dismay I have never seen in any blog or problem thread where Dillon acknowledge that this is a big issue. Says we are sorry and are actively seeking a fix.

Just say ok, will send you some parts. Won't fix their issue but we shut up. UNTill we have the same things start up again.

Hey Dillon..... How about some real help and not just hide from it.

JMHO

Ken

:cheers:

I would have charged you.

JMHO

Yes, and I fully expected to pay for my mistake. I have never been one for a free ride.

But thanks for your input, I promise to weight it carefully.

;)

Hmm, after rereading your original post after having read your update post, I'd say you owe them a distinct and heart felt apology. I am not sure what part Dillon deserved. You placed all the blame on them in the original post and laid it on pretty thick, never mentioning for that matter the use of critical components that were sourced aftermarket.

JMHO.

Thank you for your advise on what I should have done. But guess when you're only looking in from outside you only see and interpret what you want to.

I promise, I will gravel at the feet of Dillon.

Thanks