Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to me STI 2011...a few maintenance questions

kcobean

I'm new to 2011s and am picking up my first one tonight. The current owner is the second owner and he's had the gun for 10-ish years. He doesn't know the exact round count, but just to be diligent, I want to replace at least the recoil spring. Can someone tell me what the appropriate spring weight is for a .40S&W running 165gr bullets making major PF?

What other "maintenance items" should I take care of on this thing?

Does it have the recoil master still? Not sure if it was ever in there due to age but if it does you may just want to try the light replacement spring, I've had good luck with it.

If not, 12.5 or 12lb is the usual answer

I try and replace my hammer and sear at the same time. IMO, they should be fitted as a pair.

A friend once suggested that the proper spring weight was determine by having the slide at slide lock then dropping the slide on an empty case. If the gun dipped too much your probably had too much spring. Otherwise as 12# is pretty typical for most shooters.

I do not use a shock buff anymore.

This would only be half the action though. The dipping forward should just be enough to counter the upward pivot isn't it?

I think the better approach I doing some rapid successive live fire and check that your hits on a target say 7 yards away are not making a vertical grouping then you have the correct spring weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would only be half the action though. The dipping forward should just be enough to counter the upward pivot isn't it?

I think the better approach I doing some rapid successive live fire and check that your hits on a target say 7 yards away are not making a vertical grouping then you have the correct spring weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think it also depends on how hard you grip the gun here..