Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help picking non-2011 Limited gun

Hey all,

I know I need an STI Edge, but it will never ever happen in the foreseeable future. It would be an irresponsible purchase for a family man with my income. So, I need the next best thing. I have about 650 to spend. I've been shooting a hi-cap copy of the beretta 96, and I'm selling it this weekend to buy something that has an aftermarket parts availability. I wouldn't sell it if I could get mag extensions and a magwell on it. Here's my options as far as I can tell:

Tanfoglio Witness Match

Glock 35

M&P Pro 5"

maybe an XDM 5.25" if I can find a deal

I'm leaning heavily towards the Witness Match. It seems like the weight will help a lot with follow up shots.

I like that the G35 comes with 3 mags and there are tons of cheap aftermarket parts but I have never shot a glock and I'm not sure we'll 'bond'.

I like the M&P price and the fact that it comes with a FO front sight.

I like the barrel length on the XDM but honestly I think it's an ugly gun- almost as ugly as a Glock. I know that shouldn't matter, but well, you know... And in Colorado I'll have trouble acquiring the 16 round mags.

I really want to make a good decision here and I'm hoping you all can give me some points that maybe I haven't thought of.

I can afford the upgrades as time goes by. I am a person that has to tinker with things and customize things. I'm a woodworker and finish carpenter- custom is what I do. Limited really is the only division I'm interested in (and classified in).

All listed guns are great guns, but they are not what I would pick up to shoot Limited. It kind of sounds like you already made up your mind...EDGE. My advice, shoot what you have and continue saving. It will take a while to save for an Edge, but you will be happier in the end. When the funds are there, keep an eye on the classifieds. Great deals will come across sooner or later. Happy shooting...

If you have to have one that you listed, I'd go with the G35. But like was already said, go with a G34 and shoot production. It will save you money up front and for the long haul. Or, keep an eye on the classified here. You might find a Para or Caspian limited build for under 1k.

I like the second option you presented- I am simply not going to switch to production. I'll start looking for a P16- that would have to be the next-best-thing to an STI and would provide a platform that I could easily transition from to the STI, if the financial situation changed a lot.

I'd do a G35 in that case. Don't go crazy upgrading it. Save your pennies for the next purchase, and when ready you could always sell the G35.

A P16 by the time you get it tuned and setup with the right parts and mags, etc is going to get you pretty close to a used Edge.

Honestly your budget is the constraining part. Find a used Glock or M&P to save a few $$$ and then add extras as you can. Although I currently shoot M&P's I've shot Glocks in the past and I suck just as bad with either one :).

Tanfoglio and Xdm both allow for a thumbrest which is huge in my humble opinion. The mags and magwell on the XDm require you to have the perfect angle to reload, it can be frustrating. The XDm is a similar grip angle to the 1911 and will eat anything you feed it. Trigger upgrades on the XDm can be amazing but I have felt a couple awesome Tanfo triggers. You can throw a tungsten guiderod in the XDm and have a better upfront weight. Tanfos are cooler and point and feel awesome. I shoot an XDm with pretty much everything you can do to it done and can't find a real issue with it. Its more accurate than me and has yet to slow me down. I covet a witness elite limited. Thats all the opinion I can give.

I shoot a G35 in Limited with a Zev stainless heavy magwell and dawson mag extensions, I like it. I haven't ever shot a 2011 but I have held them and played with them a bit and they are pretty sweet, as are the Para P14/16's. Are they three times as cool? That is for you to decide.

I figure I have about 800 bucks in my gun, and that is as cheap as I think it is possible.

One of our local guys made GM with a Glock 35 and shoots it to this day. Just remember that to be competitive it won't be a $650 gun by the time you change the internals, add a mag well and set up your mags properly. I'm into my Glock 34 production gun for well over $850 and that's just to make it shootable with a stock barrel and six magazines. Never mind the cost of a holster, mag pouches, belt etc. Buy once, cry once.

Try a Glock. If it fits and points well for you then go with that. I use a Gen 4 G35 for Limited with about $200 in upgrade parts and mag extensions.

-Jake

Glocks are solid indeed. Great bang for the buck, no pun intended

I was looking at an XDm in .40 (beacuse Glocks had never fit me very well) and then I got to try the Gen 4 G35 with a grip force adapter at a match. I shot the piss out of the Glock and then bought it without giving the XDm a second glance.

-Jake

Good buy Jakobi. The Gen 4s definitely make it easier to find the right grip for you. They also add a nice beaver tail too. Just put a down payment on a G34 Gen 4. Now the long road to waiting begins...

As much as I prefer the Tanfoglio, I'm thinking of giving the Glock a try. If I don't like it, I can likely sell it fast for as much as I am into it. The Witness will be harder to sell even though I believe it is a better gun. Besides, if I got the Witness Match I feel like I'd always be wishing I had the Elite Limited.

I shoot IPSC/USPSA Limited Minor with my Tanfoglio Elite Match 9mm. LOVE IT!!! It has the rail, gives a little added muzzle weight which I like. Deadly accurate. Henning Walgreen in Colorado has any upgrade you'll ever want for it as your budget can handle. Can be purchased in 9mm, 40s&w, 38super, 10mm, or 45acp and converted to any of 6 calibers including .22 with slide/barrel/mag conversion kits. Super smooth action with very crisp trigger. Many have compared the Elite Match to custom guns costing 2-3 times as much. I purchased 10 extra 9mm mags, factory 17rnd, installed Henning's extended base pads (140mm) on three of them for 21 round capacity. Still have 6 unused factory 9mm mags.post-47744-140010862982_thumb.jpg

An awesome Limited gun or entry level Open gun you can build on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I shoot IPSC/USPSA Limited Minor with my Tanfoglio Elite Match 9mm. LOVE IT!!! It has the rail, gives a little added muzzle weight which I like. Deadly accurate. Henning Walgreen in Colorado has any upgrade you'll ever want for it as your budget can handle. Can be purchased in 9mm, 40s&w, 38super, 10mm, or 45acp and converted to any of 6 calibers including .22 with slide/barrel/mag conversion kits. Super smooth action with very crisp trigger. Many have compared the Elite Match to custom guns costing 2-3 times as much. I purchased 10 extra 9mm mags, factory 17rnd, installed Henning's extended base pads (140mm) on three of them for 21 round capacity. Still have 6 unused factory 9mm mags. uploadfromtaptalk1400108645634.jpg

An awesome Limited gun or entry level Open gun you can build on.

I'm pretty new to some of these manufacturers. Are tangfolio based off CZs?

The budget you have is the bad part. I just buy what I want because I know that the initial outlay of cash (or trade goods) will be greatly exceeded by the gear, upgrades and ammo to feed it. I'd go with the Tanfoglio (CZ clone). The nice thing about the double stack guns is that you really don't need a mag well as the top of the magazine is tapered nicely. You can wait on that to save money.

Edited by mgardner

Yes Tanfoglio is a CZ platform. Also imported to the US through EAA.

It is not a true CZ just a close resemblance. Go to the CZ Custom webpage and they have a disclaimer saying that the CZ parts are slightly different and usually will not fit.

Glock 35 vote for me. Easy to do a .25 cent trigger job. Not the best but it works. Sights if you don't like the factory ones or leave the adjustable factory rear and get a fiber optic front. Kkm drop in barrels give you more accuracy and let you shoot lead. Zev mag wells are nice but not a have to.

All in all, if cash is an issue, the 35 will work right out of the box. Spend the rest of your budget on Taylor freelance mag extensions and a holster rig.