Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Pro .40 - load lengths

Yeah Its been my experience that some of these guns take 500-1000 rounds to break in. I've had a few that were perfect out of the box, but the majority had a hiccup or two during the initial breakin. I don't think its a length issue. I've never had issues with length on these guns (but I do not have a .40 so take that for what its worth).

When you load by hand are you pulling it all the way back and slingshotting it, or are you kinda letting the slide release softly?

1500 rounds through it now. I usually pull it all the way back and let it rip.

Hanging up on the extractor/casehead not getting out of the magazine fast enough/nose too high compared to the casehead is the problem. Need to figure out how to address that root cause and I'll be golden.

Edited by ny32182

Tune the extractor properly

I came here to parrot exactly what CHA-LEE is trying to explain. You extractor is preventing the case coming up correctly on the breech face. I had the exact same issue with a 45 conversion kit. Went through exactly what you are going through. EXACT same malfunction. I tried to fix it by screwing with COL, bullet type everything. I finally sat down and noticed how loosely my Limited's extractor held the cases compared to how tightly the .45 conversion held them. Here is how I fixed the issue.

1. I radiused the crap out of the bottom of the extractor.

2. I polished the crap out of the extractor.

3. I took some material off the edge of the extractor (I would recommend lightening the spring instead).

Now it runs like a champ. Listen to cha-lee he know's what he's talking about.

Edited by bessy

I had the exact problem with my Limited 10MM , problem went away after about 500 rounds.

I did not have any problerms with my Lim Pro 10MM or my 38 Super conversion upper.

Sean

I first started loading my minor loads at 1.155, and didn't have any problem with the K40 mag (with the spacer intact). I'm guessing I could have been on the hairy edge of the mag spring fighting with the round dragging on the inside of the tube. Since then I have shortened my minor loads to 1.125 so that I can shoot them in my G35 as well. I'm wondering if taking the spacers out would have any affect on reliable operation with short OAL? If not, I would take them out in a heartbeat.

My Stock III should arrive next week and I got my Dillon conversion kit setup today. I'll be running 155 grain bayou bullets and going to try an OAL of 1.135 and thinking 3.6-3.8 grains of titegroup and see how that chronos to make minor PF. I have only a couple of K40 mags and I believe 1.145 was the OAL max so we'll see. Has anyone got any updates on their minor testing for .40 especially out of a Stock III?

Sent from my flux capacitor

Ok, I haven't been to this thread in a while, but now that I have some real time with 10mm mags I came back for an update.

Cliffs: I think Cha-lee and bessy are correct... I now believe the extractor is the ultimate issue.

Long version: I've been changing one variable at a time in hopes of narrowing it down. I'm not sure if it is break in wear or feed lips, but I do think the 10mm mags are just a little bit better. I shot the gun in a club USPSA match for the first time Saturday, with the 10mm mags, and had no malfunctions... gun started clean. "I've finally got it licked" I thought. Negative... Sunday, right at the 200 round mark since cleaning, the malfs started. With the 10mm mags though, they are a little different: The slide stops with the cartridge PERFECTLY inline with the chamber. There is no way in hades that there is any bad contact between anything other than the case and the extractor at the angle of the jams I was seeing this past Sunday.

It is still very highly related to how clean the gun is... when it is very clean it runs fine; right around 200 rounds, boom, it becomes very unreliable.

I feel like it is going to be a crap shoot but I'll start messing with the extractor next. I'll probably just start with the one the gunsmith sent with all the surfaces polished and go from there. I'll just be winging this part of it, basically.

• 2 months later...

I finally got all the bottom corners of the extractor radiused as advised by Cha-lee and others. I haven't shot it yet, but, it is butter-smooth now through that part of the loading process, and in fact I think it feels even better with .40 mags now instead of 10mm.

I probably won't have any time or desire to shoot this gun again until after nationals, but when I get a chance to try it out I will report back. Unlike most I'm a little OCD about dirty guns and try to be a frequent cleaner, but will let it go a minimum of 1k to make sure it is still running a little dirty.

• 1 month later...

Nope, I still have not shot it, sorry.... I was considering shooting it at the Southeast Regional Pro Am here coming up, but, I've still been 100% using the Stock 2s for everything. Maybe after Pro Am I will just commit to shooting it for a few weeks.

I've been in contact with the problem and talked to ny32182 about it. My Lim Pro .40 hangs up at slide lock. I shoot is once a month at an IDPA indoor and going to slide lock is pretty much a must. So fresh mag in.. push the lock down.. hands at the extractor. I've done ramp work, etc.. not to the extractor.. looks stock to me... I do see a need for improvement. And to think.. if this fixes it, I paid someone a lot of money to pimp this gun. That is for another day. Just letting you guys know another DIY smith here.. systematically figuring this out.

• 7 months later...

Looking at some older threads it looks like the max length the Mecgars will allow is 1.145"?

I just observed my factory mags can take 1.16" and drops into chamber. 3.6gr N320 behind a 180gr RNFP BB Ibejiheads feels too light. Need to get more serious about setting up. Just got past the Henning Gen 3, 4 extended FPS issue.

I finally got all the bottom corners of the extractor radiused as advised by Cha-lee and others. I haven't shot it yet, but, it is butter-smooth now through that part of the loading process, and in fact I think it feels even better with .40 mags now instead of 10mm.

I probably won't have any time or desire to shoot this gun again until after nationals, but when I get a chance to try it out I will report back. Unlike most I'm a little OCD about dirty guns and try to be a frequent cleaner, but will let it go a minimum of 1k to make sure it is still running a little dirty.

Can you describe the radius? Maybe a pic would be better.

Just some random .02. I shot a lot of 40 through a limited the last two years. I struggled early on with FTFs and it ended up being my ammo binding up in the magazine. I spoke with Grams directly about this and he brought up some good points.

If you are running standard mags with the back spacer, I would not run your ammo remotely long even if it plunk tests in your barrel. You already have full surface contact on the side walls with the brass in the K40 mags.

First the 40 cal magazine doesn't have side wall ridges like STI mags or MecGar 9mms to keep the full bullet surface off the sidewall. These two ridges reduce contact surface of the bullet to the side wall. In the 40 mags if you any dust in there, it causes more friction. Sooooo if you are longer you just added even more friction on the front to back of the bullet as well. Personally I would load at a max of 1.14" and no more. Your press isn't spot on and will have some fluctuations in length.

Stock photos.

Notice side wall ridges.

NewMag.jpg

Standard 40 cal mags don't have the ridges.

Mec-Gar%20CZ%2075%2017%20round%20MGCZ751

Exterior of the ridges.

MEC-GAR%20WITNESS-TANFOGLIO-LF%2017%20RD

Edited by praetorian97

I hope you get your gun running soon. I think you will like the balance of the limited pro and the way it shoots. I have never had an issue with any type of F-T-F with my limited pro, except when some lube got up in my seating die and OAL went down to 1.02". Good luck.

My Limited Pro setup:

.40 S&W

8 lb recoil spring

14 lb hammer spring

Henning firing pin

Favorite load:

155 gr. RN Bayou Bullet

3.4 gr. WST

1.125" AOL

This load is a very soft and reliable.