Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I ran into a open pistol with an interesting serialnumber: Leatham1

czbeardly

Yesterday while going to pratice I had to swing by my old instructor/examinator to borrow his Timer as I had left mine at home. He told me to come into his reloading Cave and I thought he wanted to show me his tinkering with his open Glock, but he produced a 1911 open gun, that one of his friends wanted to sell. He pointed to the frame and said: Check out the serialnumber: Leatham1 - as in Rob Leatham. I might be new in the sport, halfway around the world, but I do know that name as I have watched many of his videos.

It had quite a story, of which half I have already forgotten as I was in a hury to get to the range, but it had one of the best triggerpulls I have ever felt, and quite frankly - the most insane short reset. His friend, also an old IPSC instructor/examinator was looking to sell of his Collection of guns as he is stepping down, and the asking price for it was 1500$ with an really old optic but 6 Magazines. Was told it shoots amazing with major loads but as it uses singelstack magazines, I belive it is a gun used for steel matches back in the day.

I will get to shoot it in a few days and will snap a few Pictures. Posting about it since I found it quite interesting. =)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully I will see it again at Mondays practice, and will snap a few shots. I would consider it if I seriously if I could spare the money right now, but I have ordered a Stag 3G upper for the Open division, and it will get expensive, really fast. I took the jump on one since I have passed all the requierments for owning an AR in Sweden, and more matches will be held Close by (by close - 2 hours car drive, one way.)

It looked really well but it had an older "huge" aimpoint sight. I have to ask, how many rnds would a 170mm singelstack magazine hold?

Pictures as promised, dumped it on my imgur account and created an album: http://imgur.com/a/HaUqP

I think the last picture was hilarious...

Also, it was doublestack, .38 and 9x19 barrel, battery was dead :( but I tried a few super .38 and I was blown away by how tight it was, trigger - amazing, reset - amazing, and being the first and only .38 super I tried, I was dumbstruck with how next to nothing it moved in my hands... DO WANT, and the asking price is nothing, well it is nothing but having invested in a rifle+optics+gear... and have two rooms to renovate... I might have to sell my some of my organs...

Still not sure how this gun ended up in Sweden, but it seems to be one of those "once in a lifetime" deals... I might have to do it.

As I said, the asking price is 1500$... a CZ czmate is ~6000$ here, a Tanfoglio Gold Custom Extreme is even more, alot more... I can only imagine what the money and time spend on this adds up on this, but it must be alot more then those 1500$....

Being a sv frame I'm sure it's still at the top of its game. Brandon might be able to find out how old it is nice piece of shooting history.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

It's probably not as old as you might think. it's definitely double stack not single stack. has an infinity frame and I think infinity grip, has obviously what started as a springfield custom 9X23 top end which has been modified, it also has a nice recoil-master set-up and those alloy body aimpoints were not cheap. basically top of the line till everyone went c-more and the non-tube optics.

I'd say the 9mm set-up was possibly for 9 minor for steel challenge and the super barrel for USPSA major. just a guess though. it comes with a big stick as well which is nice. for $1500 anywhere in the world that is a steal.

If you wanted to bring it really up to date perhaps just a newer optic and a slide racker, perhaps a larger magwell (but I personally like the checkered mag-well it has). There's no reason why it shouldn't be a competetive open gun in IPSC. :)

dude, with 2 barrels, and 6 mags (including at least one big stick), a custom built open gun on an infinity frame for $1500 no matter whether a D-grade pensioner shooter owned it it's worth the money. if in fact TGO owned it that is just gravy. sell whatever small child you have to sell and buy it!!

I have already sold all the small children I could fine... Shooting is far from the only expensive hobby I got :P Next up is renovation of 2 rooms, moar stuff for my Scion FRS/Toyota GT86... that rifle build, and training session with Eric Grauffel in a few weeks, aswell as lots of training for the Swedish IPSC rifle nationals...

But... I think I somehow can work this into my budget, there is always overtime :roflol: