Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 gr. 9mm Minor Loads

Matt Cheely

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my loads are for my CZ. I can't shoot the Precision 147 in it as to get a short enough OAL, I would have to seat it too deep. So I loaded the bullets I bought to test just for my G34. 3.6 gn of SR7625 at 1.155 OAL gives 132 PF with CCI SPP on 55 degree day.

Just got a load figured out for Bayou 147s with Titegroup, all using mixed brass, CCI 500 SPP, and OAL 1.140", all chrono'ed the same out of a M&P 9L and a Glock 34:

2.8g - 124pf

3.0g - 128pf

3.1gr - 133pf

3.2gr - 137pf

I'm sticking with the 3.1 load for Production.

Recently developed a new load for G17G4 with Bar Sto barrel:

3.6gr VV N340

147gr Missouri Bullet Lead FN

1.120 OAL

Federal Match SPP

Starline brass

Avg Vel: 903

PF: 133

Excellent functioning w/ very good accuracy.

• 2 months later...

3.6gr SR7525, 147 Rainier RNFP, 1.135 OAL, Fed SPP match, STI Spartan 5.1 bbl, 10# recoil, 15# main = 881 FPS for 129.5 at 85 deg sea level.

Gonna cook up a load with the same particulars, same gun for N320 in a couple weeks.

Blast from the past, 10 year old thread!

OK, after 10 years what is your favorite loads for 147gr minor? It's been a long road and I'm sure you've tried many "pet" loads. Please share some of your findings.

Thanks,

Steve Filla

Edited by LikesToShoot

I've read on Enos that the 147 gr bullet (I'll be using coated lead) is not consistent accuracy wise. Any truth to that?

I'll be loading up some Blue Bullet 147's tonight for the first time. I'm curious of this as well.

I just bought some of the 147 round nose... I'm not sure I found the best load yet but they are better than the plated I have used and just as accurate as the 115 FMJ Ive loaded in the past.

DSCN0930_zps6baae1fe.jpg

I've read on Enos that the 147 gr bullet (I'll be using coated lead) is not consistent accuracy wise. Any truth to that?

I'll be loading up some Blue Bullet 147's tonight for the first time. I'm curious of this as well.

I just bought some of the 147 round nose... I'm not sure I found the best load yet but they are better than the plated I have used and just as accurate as the 115 FMJ Ive loaded in the past.

DSCN0930_zps6baae1fe.jpg

There's no doubt your PP load is accurate but at 6.2 gr I'm sure there's a flame coming out of that barrel, as well as some recoil.

That 3.3 Red Dot and 3.6 WST load look good enough to chrono and really should be a soft shooting load.

Nice picture!

I use TiteGroup for all my steel challenge loads.

Glock 34

3.1 TG

Berry 147gr RN

1.14 OAL

PF 133

Nice and soft

I'll load of a batch of these this week and try it out. I'm about to switch over to TG.

I know this is a old thread but does anyone have any load data for 147gr plated with bullseye powder?

I know it's not the ideal powder but it's what I have. From looking on the internet some have suggested 3.3 bullseye at about 1.14 oal. Does this sound like a place to start?

I use TiteGroup for all my steel challenge loads.

Glock 34

3.1 TG

Berry 147gr RN

1.14 OAL

PF 133

Nice and soft

I'll load of a batch of these this week and try it out. I'm about to switch over to TG.

I dropped it a tad more and by batch of 100 ran perfect! Very nice to shoot. Nice "plunk" with the chamber/case guage.

Glock 34 w/ KKM barrel.

3.0 gn Titegroup

147gn Berrys RN

1.10 OAL

Winnchester Primer

I have 8lbs of TG. I'll be rolling this for a while.

Hello to all,

I have several pounds of WAC (Winchester AutoComp) but do not have a compensated pistol/barrel. My go to pistol is a SIG X5 Comp. While new to reloading, my research says that there are much better powders for softer (less recoil) reloads. However with most pistol powders being next to impossible to get these days, I plan to use what I have found to create my next 9mm, minor PF (125-130) reloads. My plan is to use my cleaned field brass, CCI 500 primer, 147 grain Xtreme copper plated round nose bullets at 1.140 or 1.150 OAL using the Dillon 650XL. Any advice you can provide regarding your use of WAC for minor PF loads would be appreciated. Or, if you have chronographed a similar build, please let me know.

Jack

Edited by Hwjack

Hello to all,

I have several pounds of WAC (Winchester AutoComp) but do not have a compensated pistol/barrel. My go to pistol is a SIG X5 Comp. While new to reloading, my research says that there are much better powders for softer (less recoil) reloads. However with most pistol powders being next to impossible to get these days, I plan to use what I have found to create my next 9mm, minor PF (125-130) reloads. My plan is to use my cleaned field brass, CCI 500 primer, 147 grain Xtreme copper plated round nose bullets at 1.140 or 1.150 OAL using the Dillon 650XL. Any advice you can provide regarding your use of WAC for minor PF loads would be appreciated. Or, if you have chronographed a similar build, please let me know.

Jack

Autocomp is also hard to come by. If I were you I'd look around to do some trading. I'm sure you'll find someone!

Below is a table of chrono data using WST, 9mm Xtreme PRN (115 and 147 gn) bullets from a Sig X5 and CZ-SP01 on a hot Florida day - may be useful as a starting point for some ... Click on table to enlarge (sorry, couldn't figure a way to get it to stay larger):

post-51549-0-04610200-1405561455_thumb.p

Edited by Hwjack

4.0 grains of Autocomp is the max listed for 147 grn bullets. I use that with my XDM 5,25 and I get about 128PF with Montana Gold. I have some Berrys plated bullets on order, that same load should give me another 5% velocity which should put me around 133PF.

4.0 grains of Autocomp is the max listed for 147 grn bullets. I use that with my XDM 5,25 and I get about 128PF with Montana Gold. I have some Berrys plated bullets on order, that same load should give me another 5% velocity which should put me around 133PF.

Thanks Britin - that is the same value (4.0 grains WAC) a local reloading supplier gave me. I plan to build about 10 each at 3.4, 3.6, 3.8, 4.0 and 4.2 at 1.150 for chrono tests. Will publish findings in a similar table to above once completed.

Edited by Hwjack