Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 gr. 9mm Minor Loads

Matt Cheely

In the past I've been using 124gr. FMJ rounds in my Glock 34. Just picked up some 147gr. Precision Cast lead bullets as I've heard they can shoot quite a bit softer. I'm having trouble finding a load for them. I have a bunch of Win 231 and titegroup on hand and would like to use them if possible. I'm tending to lean toward the 231 as it is the slower burning of the 2 powders.

The only loading I could find in my books was a Hodegon load for 3.3-3.5grs. of 231 running about 850 to 900 fps. It also gives a COL of 1.169. :huh: This seems really long and dosen't load really well into the mags. Though they do cycle fine when manually racking the slide.

So if you would share your 147gr. lead loads that would be great. I'm also looking to see what kind of COL you are running with each. I've looked with the search but can't really find much of a variety of loads. It mostly brings up Major loadings.

Thanks in advance! :)

Edited to add: If you could also recommend a better powder to try, preferably something by winchester, hodegon, or IMR as that's readily available to me. That would be great. Thanks again.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm tending to lean toward the 231 as it is the slower burning of the 2 powders."

You are headed 180 deg from where you want to go for minor. Fast powder will generate LOWER perceived recoil. FOr example, I skate the edge of light recoil minor loads by using one of the fastest powders on the chart: V V N-310 under a 147.

This load was used to take 2nd place at the last IDPA winter nationals & it won every GSSF in New York state in AC class. You wil not find data in any load book however. You will find Titegroup data however.

"Glock 34. Just picked up some 147gr. Precision Cast lead bullets"

I believe these are not lead bullets at all. Put another way (before you get flamed for shooting bare lead in a GLock) these are actauly called "coated" bullets because they are coated with polymer bearing molydisulfide. Yes the core is lead, but they are usually identified as "coated".

Titegroup is a fine choice for 147s. Simply use the Hodgdon LEAD data to start since it is the safest and coated sometimes mimics lead more than plated or jacketed (I would suspect that 2.9 to 3.0 grns would meet Minor though double check) and load to 1.155" OAL - that length should fit in all 9x19mm magazines including Glcok 17/34 magazines.

Regards,

Douglas

www.shootersparadise.com

Yeah, what Carlos said! I have two pet loads right now for my G34.

3.7gr W231 147jhp 1.150 OAL

3.0gr TG 147lfp 1.150 OAL

3.2gr TG 147JHP 1.150 OAL

These are the most accurate loads out of my gun @ 25yds. I tried VV310, but at 25yds I didnt like the accuracy. DougC

My wife's 9mm load is 3.0 gr of TG with a 147 gr plated bullet OAL is 1.125". I looked at some of our videos and could see little if any smoke from her gun. Our practice load is a 125 gr lead bullet with 3.5 gr of TG. Chronos at 1050 fps. It does generate a good bit of smoke, but then again so does a .40 with lead bullets.

Forgot to mention we, gasp, shoot lead bullets in the stock Glock barrel.

To shoot Production I have just received delivery of a Para LDA P18-9, could well be the first one into NZ.

I have loaded 147gr JHPs over 3.5gr of N320, which I tested at the range and recoil was really way down - allowing good frontsight retention and control. Probably hardest thing will be geting used to the trigger - it sure is smooth though.

Swapped the recoil spring out for a Wolf 10lb as well, leaving all other springs as standard. When I finish the chrono I'll post some results.

I'm interested to hear of anyone else doing similar or different things with a Para LDA P18-9, and what works or doesn't work for them

cheers and all the best for the New Year :D

Did some chrono work today. The 3.0 TG load makes a 10 shot average of 872 fps, 128 pf. I noticed that some of you guys load it out to 1.150". I am a bit suprised that it makes the 125 pf. My load at 1.125" just does.

SHorten the case a tad judiciously then run 3.3 grains of titegroup. It IS my IPSC production load and it shoots great from my LDA, my CZ 85, my Edge 9mm (steel gun) and my HK Expert (my no determined application gun).

They say its dirty, it leaves alot of residue but the residue is so easy to clean. 3.3 TG is your load, WST is better suited to 180 gr. .40sw, Although I've recently switched to WSF for 200 gr. RN's in .40 for limited. Almost shoots as soft as the 147gr 9mm butter balls. Accuracy will always fall off a little when slowing a heavy bullet down that much say vs. 115gr or 124gr. 9mm flying fast, But I still get 2" groups from the bench at 25 yards.

Thanks,

Jon

Yesterday I shot some rounds loaded with 231 and also titegroup loaded at different OAL's. First up did them at 1.155, then 1.125 followed by 1.100. As the OAL went down, felt recoil went up and they seemed to get dirtier ( :huh: which suprised me). I figured that the increased pressure would cause the powder to burn cleaner. Didn't chrono the rounds as I was indoor and my chrono dosen't work with flourecent lights.

I also did a little chrono work down at the outdoor range today. Ran some 147's with 3.4 grs. WIN 231 loaded at 1.165 OAL and it was running a tad over 132 pf. Also had some loaded with 3.6 grs. 231 and they were running at 136 pf. I loaded all of these at the longest length I could so that the felt recoil was lowest, and also seemed to burn the cleanest (which wasn't really all that clean).

No crono so have no idea where it sets in the numbers game but I have had good luck with Bullseye and the 147 gr cast bullet..

3.2 gr Bullseye and a 147gr cast bullet at 1.150.. Little smokie but not as dirty as the AA 5 load with a 124 plated that I was using..Shoots better also..

I normally drop 3.0 grains N310 underneath a plated or FMJ 147 RN for 131 pf or better through a 5" Kimber. The last lead load I did allowed for a decrease in the charge to 2.8 grains for the same pf.

I keep arriving at the same conclusions as it relates to using lead in any chambering.......

Cheaper (always)

Less powder required for a given pf compared to plated and FMJ (usually in that order).

Accuracy and groups usually tighter (but not always)

Dirt, smoke, gunked-up guns and dies (always).

Bullseye and lead???? I can't even imagine given my last conclusion above. :P

Side Note: N310 is the softest shooting by far....especially when compared to that be-loved Titegroup.

All my humble opinion of course and as always work your loads up in guns carefully.

TR

My pet load for my Glock 34 in USPSA Production is a Zero 147 FMJ over 3.5 grains of N320 with Winchester SP primers. OAL is 1.142.

I used to use West Coast Plated 147 gr. bullets, but I found that they had a tendency to keyhole infrequently from time to time. The powder charge was the same as with the Zero bullets.

Cor

That is true about gunked up guns but it seems that there are some ways around some of it..I have found that overlubing internally has a lot to do with all that gunk..that is the easy part..The hard part is a protected base on that lead bullet..

A gas check is the way to go but not easy to get,not many bullets are available with them..I have used them with a bevel based bullet but it is a slow process as the check must be started in the case correctly and then the bullet is seated..I believe a thin card wad would work if there was a way to cut them out in quantity cheaply..Plastic might work also with the same problems in manufactureing..

Still would be an extra step in loading but results just might be good enough to be justfied..

Anybody else got any ideas ??

Didn't believe me eh Matt ???? get to the store and get some Silhouette dump in 4.1 shoot at 136 PF and never fear a Pepper Popper.... Oh yea and don't buy that cheep powder from Mac any more :D

PS I have a few pounds here if you have trouble finding it

Didn't believe me eh Matt ???? get to the store and get some Silhouette dump in 4.1 shoot at 136 PF and never fear a Pepper Popper.... Oh yea and don't buy that cheep powder from Mac any more :D

PS I have a few pounds here if you have trouble finding it

:lol: Just looking for a few more ideas. I'm going to try that load of yours. Already running out of Mac's powder anyways. :rolleyes: I've been shooting so much ammo lately it blows my mind.

That is true about gunked up guns but it seems that there are some ways around some of it..I have found that overlubing internally has a lot to do with all that gunk..that is the easy part..The hard part is a protected base on that lead bullet..

A gas check is the way to go but not easy to get,not many bullets are available with them..I have used them with a bevel based bullet but it is a slow process as the check must be started in the case correctly and then the bullet is seated..I believe a thin card wad would work if there was a way to cut them out in quantity cheaply..Plastic might work also with the same problems in manufactureing..

Still would be an extra step in loading but results just might be good enough to be justfied..

Anybody else got any ideas ??

Actually I've found a gas check unnecessary. It's more a matter of powder, bullet and lube choice. I once put almost 5,000 rounds of LSWC reloads through my Wilson .45, without cleaning and without malfunctions. When I finally did clean the gun, it was simply because I had it apart to do something else and I said, "Oh well, as long as it's already field stripped I might as well clean it." But I didn't NEED to clean it, the gun was still smooth.

I think the reasons I was able to do this were (1) I was using Laser-Cast bullets which are harder than the hinges of Hell. After almost 5,000 rounds of this stuff, when I looked down the barrel before cleaning it, there was no leading. NONE. The bore was so clean it looked polished. (2) I was running Titegroup powder. Some people will tell you Titegroup is a dirty powder. Some people will tell you it's very clean. Given my experience, I come down on the "clean" side of the equation. What Titegroup does give you, which I think is a major reason some people consider it "dirty", is a fair amount of extremely fine gray soot. My personal experience is this is no big deal, though it sems to freak out some folks. (3) I was using Slide-Glide as a lubricant, and the fine powder fouling from the Titegroup, when mixed with Slide-Glide, simply didn't form the sort of gritty gunk that interferes with gun operation.

• 9 years later...

3.6 231 @ 1.14 147gr jhp in a 5" 1911 10lb recoil an 17 hammer spring. Pathetic how light shooting. Didnt lock back on a few mags.

Also did 2.5-2.6 Clays 147gr moly @ 1.145 and those were great too. Clays was tough to drop consistently every time in a Hornady case activated drop.

Saturday I'll be trying 3.3 231 147gr moly @ 1.145 in a XDm 5.25

I've read on Enos that the 147 gr bullet (I'll be using coated lead) is not consistent accuracy wise. Any truth to that?

I'll be loading up some Blue Bullet 147's tonight for the first time. I'm curious of this as well.

147 Bayou and 3.0g of N320 is just under 900 fps out of my XDm 5.25. 2.9g of Titegroup was pretty much identical velocity, but seemed to have a little harsher recoil. These are loaded at 1.140"

Edited by R-Bros_JLR