Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chokes for 3-Gun

JFlowers

My Browning Gold will not shoot an accurate slug out of anything but a MOD. It has way too much backbore and I think the slugs just wobble around untill it gets to the choke so it need a MOD to get it going straight again. I just leave it in for everything. Funny thing is I have never felt like I have a problem shooting the airborne clays with it. They don't go very height, your not that far from them and they "stop" on the way from going up to down. It's not Sporting Clay where you get clays being thrown across at 35mph. I only shoot 1 1/8 oz #8 shot at no less than 1200 fps (3 dram).

• 3 weeks later...

I use a MOD choke on my 1100 CM and never changed it ever. Shot a match with poppers at 50 yards using slugs and got them with just one shot each. I'm no expert and just started shooting 3-gun early last year, but due to my ignorance I never really knew when I should be using the IC and rifled chokes that came with the gun. The MOD choke seems to work for me as an all-around choke, but should I use the rifled choke when shooting rifled slugs? What's the general rule when to use IC and MOD chokes? Thank you all.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't go by what is written on the side of the choke. Factory bore and choke diameters can be off as much as .005 (which is a choke constriction) from factory published data.

You need to have your bore measured and then your chokes to ensure you are running the right constriction. Other words, base your choke constriciton off the bore diameter. After you have had your bore and chokes measured, then test them with the load you intend to use at the distance you expect to shoot.

Choke constrictions are usually measured as follows:

.000 Cylinder (no constriction or the same constriction as your bore)

.005 Skeet

.010 IC (improved Cylinder)

.015 Light Modified

.020 Modified

.025 Improved Modified

.030 Light Full

.035 Full

.040 Extra full

A Browning Invector Plus bore is supposed to measure .740. Standard Benelli & Berettas generally have a .721 bore. (I'm not sure about Remington).

Here is an example of how you can get into trouble. My Benelli inside bbl. diameter measures .720. The factory IC choke that came with the gun measures .715. So....my IC choke that is supposed to give me .010 of constriction is only giving me .005 which is a Skeet choke. This is why you need to measure your bore and chokes.

If you don't like the measurements of your factory chokes, you can order custom chokes from a bunch of manufactures to the exact dimension you want. Briley is probably the best for flush mount chokes.

Also, remember that the optimum bbl. and choke diameter relationship is supposed to give the CLAY shooter a nice 30" pattern at a given distance. I've found that chokes really don't start opening up (any choke) untill about 15'-18' in front of the bbl. So depending on how YOUR gun patterns YOUR load at a given disance and how large or small the target is (how many pellets you want to hit the target with), will dictate what size choke you use.

Hope this helps.

Nick-

a question for KurtM....I'm not happy with the factory Benelli chokes for my 21' field as they are rusting already... so began looking in Brownells for some aftermarket stainless chokes, and decided to try the light modified as you suggested. While checking out several manufacturers Inoticed that they were not consistent on the actual bore diameter.... which choke manufacturer do you recommend? thanks Les

Tom, I love the It logo!

Yet another Briley vote.

I like interchangeable chokes. I won a shotgun stage at a 3 Gun Nats partially b/c I put a full choke in my gun. It hammered far away steel with some authority and when I saw it hit, I knew it was going and could move on. I also like to do some other shotgun sports with my 3 gun shotgun and interchangeababilty is nice. Plus you look cool and have more gadgets to play with.

But if I was stuck with one choke (or foolish enough to weld one choke in), it would be modified.

Happy Mardi Gras!!!!

Les:

They all beat me to the punch on this one. Briley!!!

Kelly, which one was that?? The last stage we shot, I wedged inbetween Burkett and Voight, and as I recall they shot open. I think the SILVER SOLDERED,NON WELDED, LT MOD, seemed to do alright there! Remember chokes are like good beer, If it's a screw top it isn't what you want anyway. :D:D:D Of course if the top is silver soldered on its a bit difficult to drink!! KURTM

Read more carefully, I wrote "a" 3 Gun nats. It was not the 2004 3 Gun Nats. It was Stage 1 at the 02 3 Gun nats. I only won the stage b/c you were not there. ;) I don't think anybody came close to your performance with a limited shotgun on the last stage we shot in 04 - the last thing that brought me to the darkside of Benelli.

And when I'm feeling a bit fey, I like a screw top Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Kelly:

If I read carefully, I wouldn't get my exercise....jumping to conclusions :o BTW I just bottled a fine batch of Porter for SMM3G. No screw tops need apply!! Nor adjustible chokes. I don't know how many times I have heard the lament... I forgot what choke I had in my gun!!!!

Steak and Ale again?? I promise to cuff both Eric and Hung. :D and Hog tie Jimmie! :lol:

Of course steak and ale! Maybe we can get Bennie to cook the steaks and I'll just drink. I don't know about Jimmie and PacMan though, they break s^@t and kick the dogs. After Jimmie's rampage, poor little Kira hides everytime she sees a Vietnamese!

Ported tubes are a great way of reducing recoil if you already plan to shoot Open or Modified. If you had wanted to shoot Standard (or Standard Manual under IPSC rules intead of USPSA), a ported tube would appear to bump you into Modified or Open. See item 13 in Shotgun Rules Appendices D1, D2, D3, and D4 (or US D1, US D2, and US D3 in the USA).

Richard

Schennberg.com

• 2 weeks later...
Im gonna take a run at the Briley choke with the comp attached. Just wish it came in light modified. Ive used several of their chokes in the past and i really like them.

Shot a match last weekend. When i got to shooting fast i had to wait for the bolt to finish its cycle before the next shot. The comp'ed choke tube did a very good job of putting the gun back on target.

253896.JPG