Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chokes for 3-Gun

JFlowers

For 3-Gun, is it best to use a single choke for a match or is it permissible to change chokes between stages based on the shell/shot/slug required for the stage? If its a single choke, what is the best overall choke? What are the pro's and con's of that choice?

James

James

I'm with Benny on mainly sticking with one, but I like a bit more spread than IC as the default position. I take the gambit with me. Usually, I end up sticking with cylinder until the situation deems a shift to a Briley Spreader if there're up close clays; and if they're way out there, heavy metal, or heavy brush, the IC or modified might come into the picture.

Mhearn

I use a Modified Improved. I tested it by shooting targets at 25 yards. I fired every type of shot known. Afterward I computed the # of pellets multiplied by the pellets weight. This gave me a relative hit factor. I assumed that velocity was a constant (I know it isn’t but didn’t think it would make that big a difference). I then tested my theory at an 8” plate at 25 yards. I shoot tactical matches and most of them wont let you change between stages.

The bottom line: Mod. Imp. Choke with #7/8 Wal-Mart birdshot had the highest hit factor.

The only drawback to the Mod. Imp. Choke is a little leading. I may go back to a regular modified choke.

I agree with Benny, I run IC 95% of the time. If I see a lot of longer shots on steel or clays, I may switch to MOD. Once, at a 50 yard clays stage, I used my super full turkey choke. I carry all of the tubes everywhere I take the shotgun, though they seldom get used.

As for slugs, I use IC, and some guys will run them through MOD. Don't shoot them through anything tighter than MOD please!

Along with everyone else, I primairly shoot I/C in the shotgun. One exception would be at the DPMS Tri-gun match in 2003. One stage was set up similar to a sporting clays stand (I think, anyway. I've still never tried s.c.) You had a total of 32 clay birds to shoot out of the air. The birds were thrown four at a time. I had a modified choke in for that. The guys who only had I/C were hurting.

Of course, I had forgotten to bring my other chokes to that match. So I ended up just shooting without a choke for the rest of the match. It didn't seem to be a problem.

One thing you really want to do is find out which chocke gives you the best accuracy with the brand of slugs you shoot. I found that Light Mod gave me the best results, My buddy got better results with Cyl from his gun with same slugs. Go figure.

I found that most things will drop with IC if you are used to changing up your shot sizes. I loaded up some 1 ounce #4 loads just for grins and did comparisons to 6's and 7.5's. I could reliably knock down steel out to about 35 yards with the 4's in the IC that the 6's and 7.5's wouldn't. I was impressed that an ounce would be enough. Generally though my standard competition load is 3 1/4 dram - 1 1/8 of either 7.5, 6's, or 4's. That gives a velocity of about 1250 fps and guarantees that my Gold will cycle them positively with my heavier action spring. I cut a slug from the cartridge and measured it to see if it would pass through my Modified choke tube. It's just tight in the choke and I can nudge the slug through the choke by hand with a little bit of pressure. I shoot standard loaded S&B 1 ounce slugs in my Gold.

I generally carry all my chokes, but generally I'm choked IC for most things. I might slip a mod in if the targets are really far away and people are having problems with hard steel, I have not as yet had this problem, 7.5 or 6's have

been sufficient.

Vince

I took the hint from a 4 state sporting clay champion and stuck with light modified for EVERYTHING!!! How stuck on this am I???? I silver soldered that little sucker in! I guess I could switch chokes between stages....but I would need a torch!! KURTM

Don't forget that one choke mfg's or shotgun mfg's "modified" is another's "IM" and vice versa. See what works in your gun w/ your loads. That being said, non-rifled slugs will shoot well out of just about any type of choke, some might like a particular choke more than others.

Heck, when I shoot sporting clays, I very very rarely change the chokes in my gun.

Benny,

Thank you for the advice. I agree that the Imp. mod. slows me down on close plates and pigeons. I would like to run an Improved cylinder but the local matches would make me pay. Here in NC around the Fayetteville area we have a lot of “tactical” matches and if you don’t knock down the pepper poppers or distant plates the penalties are huge. We shoot a lot of slugs also. I shoot wolf slugs and 7 ½ Wal-Mart shot for the price. I also like to stick to one gun/one load as much as I can. I think I will try a light modified choke and pattern it. All the matches around here also require you to keep you gun in the same configuration for the entire match. If you had to play under these rules what choke would you use?

Will

If it were me, I'd use Modified exclusively as I can use a speader load with fine shot (9's or 10's) for close in stuff and swap out to 4, 6, or 7.5 for longer distance stuff. Like I said above, my slugs will go through my modified without a hitch. If I were shooting buck, I'd want something tighter than IC anyway.

Vince

Dear Shotgun Lord

Please make sure that all those competing against me at next years United States Practical Shotgun Championships in Anniston, AL have Mod chokes in their guns when they shoot the "Who Dares Win" speed stage (6 Clay birds at 7 yards as fast as you can).

I pray that all those I compete against are married to a particular choke for the entire match regardless of the stage conditions. May I be so blessed. For me, I'm going to shot #9 in a spreader choke when the situation warrants and modified with #6 if I'm facing heavy steel poppers or whatever else seems best as the situation changes.

Please Please Please Shotgun Lord hear my prayer.

Mhearn