Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Far and Near Changes at IRC

I understood your comparison. I was making a statement towards the topic. I don't believe special rules put in place by a stage description would overshadow the rules established by the governing body. Meaning giving the shooter the lower hit or a mike if it was too long of a hole when the rules clearly state otherwise.

Edited by ChrisC

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid question number 2: Do you have to go prone at 50?

No, you have the option to shoot the 50-yard string from a standing postiion, but (and get a load of this crap) if you choose to shoot off your hind legs you must start facing uprange. That's right--you read that correctly--shooters are penalized for shooting the stage from a more challenging and difficult shooting position. Makes no sense, but it doesn't matter--people still defend this crappy stage like it's their favorite old dog.

Mike I had questions about the up range surrender start for standing shooters. The stage is very accuracy driven as well as speed. I have worked on it. I hope I do well. I will definitely be watching my score on that stage.

Edited by ChrisC

No, you have the option to shoot the 50-yard string from a standing postiion, but (and get a load of this crap) if you choose to shoot off your hind legs you must start facing uprange. That's right--you read that correctly--shooters are penalized for shooting the stage from a more challenging and difficult shooting position. Makes no sense, but it doesn't matter--people still defend this crappy stage like it's their favorite old dog.

Well now I really don't know how to shoot this one. Facing uprange? Anything else random like gun unloaded?

I tried it yesterday going prone, and offhand, it seemed about even. I just didn't feel as rushed offhand.

Anyone have any tips? Does everyone go prone? The first thing I noticed looking out the top of my glasses is that my vision went blurry. What do good shooters score on this stage? 6 alphas?

I never even occurred to me till just now just how crazy it is that of you opt to take the hardest 6 shots of the match as a bi-ped you are forced to not even be looking at them at the start.

Well now I really don't know how to shoot this one. Facing uprange? Anything else random like gun unloaded?

I tried it yesterday going prone, and offhand, it seemed about even. I just didn't feel as rushed offhand.

Anyone have any tips? Does everyone go prone? The first thing I noticed looking out the top of my glasses is that my vision went blurry. What do good shooters score on this stage? 6 alphas?

No, everyone does not go prone, I would say based on watching alot of guys shoot it that most do not go prone because its something they do not practice on any regular basis, so the disaster factor is very high. If you don't practice it, you don't know good arm position, body position so you can actaully see the sights, neck range of motion, etc...it can go very very badly if you don't know what that position feels like and looks like behind the gun.

Most all the best scores go prone at 50 and 25, gun planted on the ground is by far the most stable position.

There is plenty of time at 50 for going prone, you can get on the ground and get the first shot on target in 3 seconds 25 is much harder, you get down there and you have to shoot and keep rolling, no time for any delays, hitches, pauses.

edit...as for best shooters, I'm not sure because i have never gone downrange when their targets are scored, you just see their final scores like everyone else and you can see the best guys are routinely shooting single digit scores. So even if they score a 9 for example, that means they shot at least 27 X's. There are only 24 available at 10 and 3 yards, so that means at 50 and 25 they scored at least 3 X's and the rest were alphas, so yeah, the top shooters are shooting alphas at the worst when they have a good run. There are no B's or C's...

Edited by seanc

“There will be turning target arrays for Far and Near so as to eliminate the bottleneck of this stage and bring world class target systems to our match.” We have not had the “Botteneck” effect since we went to 5 up. That is left over from when we had 3 and 4 up. The big problem is that shooters do not want to shoot this stage first thing in the morning and do not show up. For the past few years, Jerry and I were done running shooters thru it and there were still stages being shot.

Its crazy. Shooting that stage first thing in the morning when the sun is just cresting the hill is such a disadvantage it is insane.

edit, and i've heard the stories many times about guys being on early squads being "late" for the match then walking onto the stage at a more favorable time of day and shooting it.

That sounded so crazy to me that I could not believe it.

Edited by seanc

We tried pushing back but were told to work them in, every shooter will shoot the stage. It is amazing how big the squads are around the middle of the day..... but being fair to the shooters, it is hard to see with the sun coming up over the hill.

Earlier talk was about the elongated hole. There is no such thing as a perfect double... (unless it is on Far and Near). It is truly amazing how many shooters claim that they have a double. Yes the hole is slightly long, but that is because you were just a few steps from the target at the last position. More than once I have pulled the target and let someone else make the call. One year, we put white cardboard around the targets, was not considered a "No Shoot" but it made it very easy to find the round('s) that were off the target and see the targets. Even had a Grand Master claiming a double until I pointed out his round of on the white cardboard. Will be very interesting to see how many doubles we have this year considering that the turning target will create a hole bigger than the round,.... "and you know RO, I got all my shots on the target, it must be a double" wish I had a nickle for each time I have heard that over the years.

If we are going to use the targets turning as the start, what are we going to do when the wind blows and the target moves? I have held up on running shooters because of the wind (trying for the same condition for all). So... the wind blows moving the target, you start your draw and then the targets start turning, it is going to be hard to call since the target was moving and that by definition is the start signal. It is going to be a fun time. ;-)

Well, I have been following this thread, and as a result, I was very nervous about this big change to Far and Near. However, I got to test out the system this afternoon, and I am very impressed. The mechanism is very cleverly designed and seems to be strong as well. The start is activated by a cool wired remote contol box. It is a random delayed start, so there is a short delay between "Stand By" and the start. At the 50 yard line, there is a horn at the start so even people who start facing up range will know when to start. At the 25, 10, and 3 yard lines, there is no horn, but the air compressor powered activators make an audible hiss sound that tells you the targets are turning. The sound should help eliminate any confusion in case the wind moves the targets a little.

I was worried that there would not be enough time to shoot the targets before they turned, but the designers programmed in enough time to get your full time before the targets disappear, which admittedly is a little scary.

In short, I was pleasantly surprised, and my fears are gone. I am looking forward to shooting it this weekend, and I think that this kind of innovation is exactly what ICORE needs.

Good luck, and have fun!

Edited by S&W627shooter

Well hmg you sound like a real fun RO to have on the range based upon those comments. I don't know if you were referring to my post or someone else's or just making a blind statement but it is very possible to have a shot land side by side and create a hole that could appear to be an elongated hole. With the speeds required for the far and near it is doubtful it will be intentional. I have shot turning targets for annual qualifications for more than a decade. It is possible to have a skidder on a turning target. It is also possible to have bullets share some part of the same hole. On the other hand I have witnessed shooters argue that they have a perfect double in a delta ring when clearly it is a single hole, but that's why we have overlays and rules. Rules that need to be followed and not created in spite of a rule book of an organization. I will try my best on the far and near, I will observe the scoring of my targets. If I miss then I miss but if I hit I expect to received a proper score.

Edited by ChrisC

Good news; We aren't facing uprange! But we do have to have our fingers interlaced behind our head. At least I won't be dizzy going for baller status.

Josh took the whole thing standing and had a 24 I think. Very baller.

The turners were fine. As some noted you actually have more time because visual start you react when they start moving.

I did see an elongated hole on a well known shooters target, so skidders happen. It was a 4" rip across a/b and was scored a miss.

Even still, if we are going to be forced to shoot this stage the turners are better and a welcome improvement.

Still would rather it just be a no par time stage.

Edited by seanc