Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Far and Near Changes at IRC

The International Revolver Championship has been a world class match for the last 22 years and this year is no different. We are proud to announce some major changes to this years IRC signature stage Far and Near. There will be turning target arrays for Far and Near so as to eliminate the bottleneck of this stage and bring world class target systems to our match.

We will be running 3 shooters simultaneously through the stage at once and this will allow us to speed up the match not only for our RO's but for the competitors as well. A long with the turning targets there will be some changes to the stage procedure as well.

1. There will not be a overtime shot penalty as the target turns at the end of time. (This was to keep people from stacking shots and getting the hits as we could not determine what the last shot was. so the penalty was stiff)

2. There will be a penalty for an extra shot fired as per rule book

3. If a bullet is more than 1-1/2 diameters the shot does not count (ie skidders or shots fired after time has expired)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will still have the audio start as the alternate position at 50yds does not allow you to see the targets turn. We may not have them at the other distances.

We will still have the audio start as the alternate position at 50yds does not allow you to see the targets turn. We may not have them at the other distances.

It is going to be same COF, 6 targets, 36 shots?

160 grain bullet traveling @ 787fps will arrive at the target 0.1905 seconds after it left the barrel. If the timer allowed up .3 tenths beyond par, I suspect to stay consistent we would get another 2 tenths to support the flight time of the projectile.

Is this just wishful thinking? :D

Edited by Ty Hamby

Ty, the .30 overtime was what was calculated for the targets to turn from the end of the time allowed. I am interested in how it will work out.

Ty, the .30 overtime was what was calculated for the targets to turn from the end of the time allowed. I am interested in how it will work out.

That makes sense.

I will be watching RO's shoot on thursday for sure to try and get an idea of what this will be like. I've watched plenty of bianchi video's, so I get it but you really need to be paying attention...

the .3 was added to the rule book to mirror USPSA and it is supposed to be the reaction time from hearing the horn on a par time stage and your not pulling the trigger. The horn is typically .3 secs long.

Turning targets are basicly the same. I have never timed the targets at the Bianchi Cup to see if they include a .3 turn time. I suspect that they don't.

As to whether we set the time to .3 longer that is to be determined as we will test the array before the IRC and make the determination at that time.

David

The stage description will indicate the 1-1/2 times dia. as a miss. This is standard rules for turning targets. this keeps a person from shooting a skidder that passes 2 scoring rings or was shot late.

the .3 time is irrevlellent as the target time will be set at say 5 secs. you will have 5 seconds of shooting time and then the target will turn. Just remember that sound travels slower than light. you will see the target turn faster than you will hear a buzzer.

dcs

Had an incident today. Two rounds close enough together to be deemed a bullet and a half on target, Only problem was that it was not on a turning target. It is an issue one may want to study on prior to the IRC. Roger Davis

That is a good point. I had been thinking about a tumbling bullet. When I was taping targets at the SW Regional one of the targets sure had what looked like a sideways bullet. I would hpoe something like that would not be counted as a miss.

That is a good point. I had been thinking about a tumbling bullet. When I was taping targets at the SW Regional one of the targets sure had what looked like a sideways bullet. I would hpoe something like that would not be counted as a miss.

How was it handled? the uspsa rule book does not discuss this at all except in determining if elongated holes are from richochets/splatter.

Had an incident today. Two rounds close enough together to be deemed a bullet and a half on target, Only problem was that it was not on a turning target. It is an issue one may want to study on prior to the IRC. Roger Davis

I predict there will many elongated holes on far and near and I hope they have a good procedure for dealing with it.

I predict there will many elongated holes on far and near and I hope they have a good procedure for dealing with it.

From this previous post it seems they do have a procedure in place.

The stage description will indicate the 1-1/2 times dia. as a miss. This is standard rules for turning targets. this keeps a person from shooting a skidder that passes 2 scoring rings or was shot late.

the .3 time is irrevlellent as the target time will be set at say 5 secs. you will have 5 seconds of shooting time and then the target will turn. Just remember that sound travels slower than light. you will see the target turn faster than you will hear a buzzer.

dcs

The 10 second clock starts as the target turns. The last shot leaves the barrel @ 9.85sec. from when the clock started. Due to a .2sec flight time the bullet gets to the target after it turns back and will be scored a miss. How can a target not be available for shots fired withing the 10 second par?

(160 grain bullet traveling @ 787fps will arrive at the target 0.1905 seconds after it left the barrel.)

Not critical just taking note.

How was it handled? the uspsa rule book does not discuss this at all except in determining if elongated holes are from richochets/splatter.

The 10 second clock starts as the target turns. The last shot leaves the barrel @ 9.85sec. from when the clock started. Due to a .2sec flight time the bullet gets to the target after it turns back and will be scored a miss. How can a target not be available for shots fired withing the 10 second par?

(160 grain bullet traveling @ 787fps will arrive at the target 0.1905 seconds after it left the barrel.)

Not critical just taking note.

More powder!

Regarding the elongated bullet issue, the far better approach would be to simply score any shot that fully penetrates the target, regardless of the angle, as a hit on the highest scoring area the bullet passes through. This one and a half diameters stuff is going to cause big trouble--(you gonna have one guy assigned the job during the entire match to objectively and fairly run the dial calipers?)--and the difference between an X and a miss is HUGE.

Edited by Carmoney

I used to shoot a little bullseye. We called them skidders. I have no idea if I spelled that right. Turning targets where used in that game. When we had an "elongated bullet issue" they would score the shot as one ring lower scoring value than the last mark made by the bullet. That system didn't seem to cause much controversy and there were a lot of doubles in that game. The way a bullet tore through those thin paper targets made it obvious when a shot was fired at a turning target.