Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear help on Stock 3

AlphaSeeker

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I ended up getting one of the TiAlN 0.1040" bits (brand was Monster) and was quite surprised! After hearing all the trouble you guys had with it, I tightened the disco up in my vice with aluminum jaws, chucked up the bit in my cordless drill (1500 RPM) and opened up the hole in no more than 5 seconds! Went back with some 600 then 1500 grit sand paper, and some metal polish on a cardboard q tip shaft. Whole process took me 5 min maybe... Because I was doing it free hand my hole ended up between 0.104 and 0.106, but I'm not concerned. It would have been better on a press but I do not have one at home. The disco flops around completely freely on the pin in the hammer. The factory one was actually slightly snug on the pin. I think the 0.1040" is the right sized bit to go with.

I installed it and like many people found I need to do some fitting. BTW, a cut length of cardboard q tip shaft works as a perfect slave pin for test fitting. My plan for fitting it is going to be the following:

1. File the bottom of the wing until the trigger bar is able to drop below it and release the disco/hammer. (Right now it will not)

2. I think only after the first step is done will I consider taking any material off the front of the wing. That will reduce the rearward movement of the hammer on the da pull. I would think you would want that to go as far back as possible without engaging the hammer hooks on the sear. This step may not even be necessary as I've heard from some.

3. Lastly, if I decide I want more pre-travel on my trigger in SA I will remove some material from the back of the main leg where it engages the notch in the middle trigger bar.

I'll report back on my experience when I'm done.

I've tried posting twice and lost a whole essay twice as Firefox crashed. So I'm going to post in bits...

I got the disco fitted and installed and LOVE it. I think it is money and time very well spent.

So I ended up starting out by filing the front face of the wing until the measurement (in cut off picture) from the edge of the pin hole to the face was the same as the factory disco. I then used a cut off piece of q-tip in place of the pin to connect the disco to the hammer, then installed it in the gun. I put in the sear cage WITHOUT the sear and secured it with the safety. Hammer still didn't drop. So I started taking out the disco filing the bottom of the wing and putting it back together. When it was able to drop when I pulled the trigger aggressively, I stopped filling, and cleaned up the surfaces with 400, 600, and 1500 grit sand paper, then mothers polish. Then i buttoned it all back up and function tested.

Then something weird happened. the first ~5 SA trigger pulls if I pulled the trigger slowly the hammer would start falling after being released by the sear hook, but then about 2mm later it would get caught by the disco leg. If I continued to pull the trigger rearward the hammer began moving rearward again and ended up falling like I was completing my DA pull. After those first few SA pulls though, it never happened again. I ran various dry fire drills for 15 min and it continued to function properly in SA and DA. At this point I'm just going to attribute that to break in. I'll have to see how it does live fire.

A few install pictures:

post-33893-0-86380400-1432332036_thumb.jpost-33893-0-82325900-1432332044_thumb.jpost-33893-0-96848600-1432332054_thumb.jpost-33893-0-12619300-1432332061_thumb.j

Edited by EngineerEli

It already has been very lightly. I Just hit it by hand with some folded up 1500 grit. The fact that it was a problem for the first 5 ish trigger pulls and hasn't happened again since makes me just want to leave it alone for now and see how things go. Adding any more of a chamfer or radius there would only cause the hammer to drop sooner in DA which I would like to try to avoid.

So I noticed something else after the T3 Disco instal. If I rack the slide without the trigger pulled to the rear as if I was actually taking a shot, when you first touch the trigger you feel a click then everything is as normal. Turns out the trigger bar is not raising back up until you touching the trigger relieves the pressure of the trigger bar against the back of the leg of the disco. I tried going back and putting a mirror on the contacting surface of the disco but it didn't help. I notice it is angled slightly where as the factory one is more vertical. I wonder if that had some effect on it. Even with the slide off if you have the hammer cocked and push down the trigger bar, until you begin to apply even the lightest pressure to the trigger, the trigger bar doesn't pop all the way back up into place.

Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?

For the one piece sear you should never have to remove any material for the top of the sear. It sounds to me like the new disco is not allowing the trigger bar to come far enough forward to pop up and engage the sear leg in SA. I Would try removing a very small ammout of material from the rear of the sear leg until the trigger bar has enough room to pop up and engage the sear leg. You can reproduce this process with the slide off by cock in the hammer and pressing the trigger bar down if it does not come all the way back up it will cause you the problem we discussed.

Make sense?

Edited by EngineerEli

the leg

I ended up looking at the factory disco and compared it to the cgw one. The cgw has a bit of a hump on the rear of the disco leg where as the factory is flat. I flattered it on the cgw beveled the edges to reduce contact area then polished the whole area. It pops up most of the time now. I want to shoot the gun a bit and let it break in before removing any more maerial from anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I Would try removing a very small amount of material from the rear of the sear leg until the trigger bar has enough room to pop up and engage the sear leg. You can reproduce this process with the slide off by cock in the hammer and pressing the trigger bar down if it does not come all the way back up it will cause you the problem we discussed.

That did the trick, thanks!

I'm still trying to get my 1-piece sear to fit with my Titan hammer. The safety engages and will stay engaged at half cock and fully cocked but if I engage the safety when the hammer isn't cocked at all I can pull the trigger with good bit of force and make it fire. Prolly end up having to start over with another sear, lol

• 8 months later...

I have spent a couple of hours trying to fit this t3 disco and can't get it to work. I have read every ones post on how to do it but no success. I have the 1 piece sear and the titan hammer that worked with the factory disco. I pull the trigger and the hammer goes back but doesn't fall in da or sa..i have removed metal where it show in the pictures in this post.

I have spent a couple of hours trying to fit this t3 disco and can't get it to work. I have read every ones post on how to do it but no success. I have the 1 piece sear and the titan hammer that worked with the factory disco. I pull the trigger and the hammer goes back but doesn't fall in da or sa..i have removed metal where it show in the pictures in this post.

Like the post above you states.

You have to remove a touch off the lower sear leg. It's binding on the trigger bar.