Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Almost done buying stuff...the big lie!

I started 3-gun towards the middle of last year. I had a rifle, shot gun and pistol so I would only need a few more things, right? I started out using a home built franken rifle, an 11-87 and an STI Eagle in 9mm. I put all the goodies on the 11-87 Choate tube, EZ loader, oversized safety, synthetic stock, better chokes... I bought some of the older caddies for loading weak hand and was ready...That lasted 1 match and I had to have a 1301C Beretta. BOOM, $1100.00 a nordic tube, some chokes... I realized the 1.5-6 TruGlo wasn't cutting it, I had to get a better scope, so I bought a M-Tac and a mount...and then I needed load 2 style caddies. I had to have a 3 gun bag and a better holster more suited for 3 gun. I switched to Safariland ELS for all my stuff... That was expensive. I shot a 3 gun nation match and found out the M-tac wasn't great I am old and 4X didn't cut it. So I bought a Leupold VX-6 Multigun. The Warne mount I just bought wouldn't let me push the scope far enough forward.... New mount. I was running a A2 stock on the rifle and decided I needed an ACE stock...

Then I entered a match I was going to have to fly to... Hello Patriot cases... BOOM $425.00! More chokes, Invictus caddies, all the dillon stuff to load rifle another tube extension for the shot gun... whew I am done! Wait, what about those TTI base pads for the AR mags... 39.00 each

My rifle isn't really great and it is pretty heavy... I should switch the barrel for sure... I really could use a custom pistol... The Leupold reticle isn't the best.... Guess I am not done after all..... I really thought I had most of what I needed! Wife says how much more stuff do you need? Me, not much I am almost done... lol

904D9A8E-C148-43AA-80AB-FBFB6519E1F1_zps

Wait until you decide to try another division like HM, HMO, Open or Limited. It only takes small changes to your equipment stocks, you really only need a couple of more thinks.

If you get your wife involved then she will only need a little more stuff to. :roflol::roflol:

Currently in the "almost done" myself...yea right but once cry once huh....at least I'm still young and my MTAC is serving me just fine....as of now, and I got a nice versamax, but i really want a tube from RCI my rifle is awesome but if like to build an 18" rifle length one, I'm a glock guy so I just bought a 34 Sunday bc my 17 wasn't competitive enough for me, now I got all these TTI base pads some TTI sights a ZEV heavy brass magwell and sending it off next week for a grip job...damn I don't guess I'll ever be "finished"

How many times has my wife heard that "almost done" in 14 years of shooting sports?

The other one is "I'm going to take my time with this build, 6-12 months at least"

Lets just say, it's good for a big laugh!

wow that depresses me I just started I decided to start with great equipment and just bought a Beretta 1301 and ordered a JP-15 ready not go out of the box (ouch on the price). I'm set on the pistols as I shoot IDPA. I held off on the optic and all the rest. I'm going to learn the game locally first before I buy any more fancy stuff. Here in NE most of the matches are 100-200 yrds max.

The trend I have noticed in any game or racing hobby with equipment (slot cars, rc cars, racing, shooting, golf) is that people tend to think they have the BEST equipment to play, or be competitive. This either fuels a buying frenzy to buy more competitiveness, or a move to exit the sport because they can't afford to be competitive.

The reality is if people just practiced more and used what they have, the extra gains in performance they would pick up would offset most of the equipment disadvantage.

The last 5 or 10 percent of equipment disadvantage would only then show itself on a national stage, against the best shooters, who also happened to have the best equipment too. At that point, to be competitive for a win, yes the more expensive equipment could make the difference in wins and losses, skill level being equal.

Having said that I'm always looking for new equipment because I like new stuff. I'm as guilty as the rest!

wow that depresses me I just started I decided to start with great equipment and just bought a Beretta 1301 and ordered a JP-15 ready not go out of the box (ouch on the price). I'm set on the pistols as I shoot IDPA. I held off on the optic and all the rest. I'm going to learn the game locally first before I buy any more fancy stuff. Here in NE most of the matches are 100-200 yrds max.

There are very few 3 gun matches in the northeast. It appears that Green Mountain Shooters has 3 for this year. New Bedford has 1. Some of the matches we see listed locally say "3 gun" and they may use 3 guns, but, they are not what is commonly known as 3 gun.

It's very challenging to stop at "good-enough-for-now."

It left my least match emotional divided between selling all my 3 Gun gear the that night to buying a new shotgun as soon as possible. After a little time settling down I decided to try to address my mental issues, practice a bit more, and be satisfied with the gear I have... for now.

I usually sell a gun to buy a gun, I'm selling my tried and true Ruger Red Label 12 ga over under (an American Classic) to buy my Beretta 1301, at least thats what I told my wife. My real new gun is my JP-15, my first rifle. I have not told my wife about that yet. I usually use the excuse I buy quality weapons so I can sell them if we need the money. Then there is the old home defense excuse. I think besides the weapons you can spend a lot on the "extras" in three gun. Thats where I'm going to hold off, maybe I'll hit an Army/Navy store.

Question: How many more guns (or accessories) do I need?

Answer: One more.

Same principle works for guitars, bikes, surfboards, fishing poles, or whatever else you are into....doesn't work so well if you are talking about women, though. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

The trend I have noticed in any game or racing hobby with equipment (slot cars, rc cars, racing, shooting, golf) is that people tend to think they have the BEST equipment to play, or be competitive. This either fuels a buying frenzy to buy more competitiveness, or a move to exit the sport because they can't afford to be competitive.

The reality is if people just practiced more and used what they have, the extra gains in performance they would pick up would offset most of the equipment disadvantage.

The last 5 or 10 percent of equipment disadvantage would only then show itself on a national stage, against the best shooters, who also happened to have the best equipment too. At that point, to be competitive for a win, yes the more expensive equipment could make the difference in wins and losses, skill level being equal.

Having said that I'm always looking for new equipment because I like new stuff. I'm as guilty as the rest!

Very true, although I shoot in several 'outlaw' type 3 gun matches, pretty much with everyone in a single class. I didn't think this would bother me much, but have to admit when someone shows up with an RMR on their pistol and a built VEPR or MKA with 10 or 20rd mags on a high shotgun count stage....it's making me think a bit, to the point that I'm considering shooting some more 'sanctioned' matches in the future, with a bit more emphasis on divisions....or 'gearing up. :-/ Note I'm not 'competitive' so much as working on improving my skills, but I do see the advantages in a more level playing field..

I usually shoot my Walther 4" PPQ, which is 'limited' in my choices of mags are 15rd or 17rd. We have a few guys traveling multiple states for 3 Gun Nation and other matches, so they're running 2011s and max length mags, etc. I am considering picking up a new PPQ w/5" barrel, and considering picking up a DeltaPoint II once they're available...maybe to throw on the shotgun (Mossberg JM Pro, a bit of work but nearly zero issues to date) to start, and consider moving or picking up another for the (not yet purchased) 5" PPQ later.

I keep pushing back to 'not worry about it,' as the $ can add up quickly, and I don't particularly want to compete in Open if/when I decide to make that change, but..we'll see.

yeah i swore to myself i'd stick with my 1-4 scope and not drop the coin on a 1-6, but since they've come down in price a little decided it was something i didn't want to do without. it never ends. but i still haven't bought a true 3-gun shottie yet...

I usually shoot my Walther 4" PPQ, which is 'limited' in my choices of mags are 15rd or 17rd. We have a few guys traveling multiple states for 3 Gun Nation and other matches, so they're running 2011s and max length mags, etc. I am considering picking up a new PPQ w/5" barrel, and considering picking up a DeltaPoint II once they're available...maybe to throw on the shotgun (Mossberg JM Pro, a bit of work but nearly zero issues to date) to start, and consider moving or picking up another for the (not yet purchased) 5" PPQ later.

Interesting my main action pistol sport is IDPA. I started with a Walther PPQ 4 inch barrel, its a great pistol shoots straight and I love the grip. The only reason I moved to a G17 4.5 inch barrel was I could customize the trigger group in the G17 a lot easier than the Walther. I lust after the Walther 5" PPQ M2 but I think I'd have the same problem with the trigger group. I've got a modified trigger group in my G17 that results in a 2-3 lb pull and man does it break crisply and have a short reset. Thing is there is so many after market parts to modify Glocks, nto so for Walthers. However the Walther pistol line has the best ergonomic grips out there. I still have my PPQ QA and its a keeper. Now if I can only learn to shoot those long barrel things

Edited by Quag

Interesting my main action pistol sport is IDPA. I started with a Walther PPQ 4 inch barrel, its a great pistol shoots straight and I love the grip. The only reason I moved to a G17 4.5 inch barrel was I could customize the trigger group in the G17 a lot easier than the Walther. I lust after the Walther 5" PPQ M2 but I think I'd have the same problem with the trigger group. I've got a modified trigger group in my G17 that results in a 2-3 lb pull and man does it break crisply and have a short reset. Thing is there is so many after market parts to modify Glocks, nto so for Walthers. However the Walther pistol line has the best ergonomic grips out there. I still have my PPQ QA and its a keeper. Now if I can only learn to shoot those long barrel things

I'm with ya, but on the plus side, the Walther doesn't really 'need' trigger work nearly as much as an out of box Glock. I'm not sure of anyone doing trigger work on them, let alone drop-in parts.

My Glock has maybe a 4# trigger pull, with the Walther probably around 5# - amusingly in context of this thread, I still want to avoid building a 'race gun' that can't be used as a daily carry...(then mentioned a DeltaPoint in the same thread. :D ). What I would like to see is a bit more sight options for the Walther, mainly. Getting the 5" PPQ would probably 'somehow' turn into mounting the DeltaPoint on it, calling it the 'game gun,' while at least keeping mag compatibility and general feel with my current gun. Then of course, someone convinces me to buy a 2011...and maybe I'll justify it by being able to hold 21 rounds in it, or something.. ;)

In reality, I don't feel the gun is holding me back at this point vs practice and skills, so until then, it's all just 'play,' right?

Yeah, it's kind of a downhill slope, isn't it? :D

I run a unmodified Walther P99QAc (3.5 inch barrel) as a carry gun. My modified G17 is strictly for matches. I can't wait to try a 5" PPQ however I can't get one as I live in the wonderful peoples republic of Mass.

BTW my skills are not up to my guns, that's for sure

What about your back up guns? You better start building another set to use as backups, last year at the 3-gun nationals all of my backup guns got used, the good part was that I did not use them.

Nearly every item you buy. you buy because you want to, need is rarely the reason.

We love our gear and want the next best thing. Truth is some old dude with a lot of experience will

hold his own against you with a stock AR with iron sights a pumpgun and a Glock.

Buy what you like because you want to and can afford it. But understand, more practice is...more important.