Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to build a 9mm minor open gun for steel

PPGMD

So I am trying to put together a 9mm minor Steel Challenge open gun. I want to be able to use factory ammo.

I have a STI 2011 5" frame, a STI classic 5" 9mm slide, and a Safariland 014 holster. I already have my gunsmith lined up. Now just need to get some guidance on some of the remaining parts.

Magwell: Pretty likely going to use a Dawson ICE

Barrel/Comp: I am looking to build a quick transitioning gun, so I am looking to avoid having too much weight hanging on the end. I also understand that since I am going to use factory ammo, and shooting minor that I have to carefully select my comp. The barrel/comp that has caught my eye is the Schuemann Tribrid barrel.

Optic: Not so sure about, I want it low to the slide so I can more easily transition from open to iron sights, but I also don't want the left side blocked like on a 90 degree Cmore. I am looking at a Deltapoint 2, though I am unsure about the dot or triangle.

Optic Mount: Again low to the slide is important. The Arredondo looks like it would fit the bill, though I have seen some mounts for blast sheilds, not sure who makes those.

Magazines: Not really sure, part of me wants to pick up some proper long magazines in case I want to try some USPSA with it. But since USPSA is likely going to be just for fun, I might pick up the Dawson mag tuning kit and do it myself.

Ok any of my thinking off? Any suggestions? Just trying to get some ideas before I formally talk to gunsmith I've chosen later this week.

ETA: I've been here for over six years and I finally got enough posts to hit the classifieds. Woot, though I have nothing to sell.

Edited by PPGMD

I'm in the same boat as far as wanting to get an open minor gun built and have been trying to find all the parts and pieces I want before going to the builder to get it all done. I'm pretty much settled on the deltapoint 2 but not on the mount. The Arredondo will work but just because something will work doesn't mean it's the best option for me. I'm having a hard time locating other mounting options and I don't want to slide mount it.

Mags: it's cool to get the super tuned ones from dawson or brazos but aren't really necessary as far as I'm concerned. I was going to do the tuning myself as well and that way if they get a little tweaked later on down the road I will be able to take care of them myself.

Barrel/comp: I've been seeing good things about some of the titanium comps out there and they went that much more expensive and they will save you some weight. That will also give you a little more flexibility in the barrel selection as well.

A six inch schuemann hycomp barrel, slide cut/lightened to 10oz or less. 7lb wolff recoil spring. titanium guid rod. fast and flat as a frogs rear end. def a cmore. This is my yet to be built, build sheet. the other barrel I was going to consider was a t1 trubor with the front baffle cut off.

After returning from steel nationals and having a look at the top shooters guns the general look that I saw winning

Was a 38 supper single stack frame with slides that looked like swiss cheese . I'd guess @ 7 oz 2 port ti or 3 port aluminum comp .. All the top ten except Jessie were running c more upright mounted optics.

The point being if you want to be competitive look at what the top guys are running to see what works.

The guns were so similar the ten best shooters in the country. All came to the same conclusion independently may be on to something.

John Nagel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

All the top ten except Jessie were running c more upright mounted optics.

Doug uses a Leupold Deltapoint and Jerry was using an Eotech XPS (with the shroud removed).

But good point, I might have to look at a traditional barrel and comp setup with a lightened slide. Though 9mm is must since I don't reload.

There is a lot of good info in the Bianchi forum. A lot of those guys are running 9mm minor open guns. They have a shroud for the barricade, but the comp, slide and ammo would be the same.

Actually at Bianchi I am going to see about at least handling a few different open guns, I know that Doug Jessie, and the other people in the running for the win typically bring a steel gun with them too.

The RTS might be worth a look. On mags, I am finding out (I'm new to double stacks) that the length of your round matters and if the factory rounds are short you may need spacers for reliable feeding. again I'm new so got to research more.

Hello: I would use 140mm or 126mm mags (make sure magwell works with 126mm mags). Magwell just use the one that fits your hands. C-More with a 16MOA dot. Cheely 90 degree setback mount. Barrel with no holes and a light good comp ( I use mine). Lighten slide with balance point further back. Other parts I would use are what your gunsmith likes to use and is reliable. Use 115 grain bullets. Thanks, Eric

Well I talked to my smith. He tends to favor the traditional comp setup, though can do short guns with the Schuemann barrels. But the fact that I realized that I had a Bar-sto barrel certificate from a previous match (which I have to use since the expiration is coming up) tilts it toward a traditional setup.

Maybe I will get the optic and mount off my next three matches coming up in the next eight weeks.

• 1 year later...

I have a Steelmaster and like it. I did a sub 2# trigger job, cleaned up a few things, and I have been consistently running Steel Challenge in the 110's. I load my own rounds using typical slow Open powders, Autocomp, VV, etc. I do like the shorty for steel and minor loads. Run a full size for Major in USPSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a purpose built steel gun in 9. It was 4.25" 8oz slide with a Schuemann and cheely Ti comp on a 2011 frame. Sideways Cmore etc.

If I were to do all over again, I'd do it just like that with a single stack frame.

post-20939-0-52150200-1431495764_thumb.j

Edited by 818-DVC

Also in the same boat. Deciding between 2 builders. Going 9oz slide w/5" brl, ti comp and rts2. Will be ordering within the next week or so. The wait time is the killer...

Edited by echotango

I had a purpose built steel gun in 9. It was 4.25" 8oz slide with a Schuemann and cheely Ti comp on a 2011 frame. Sideways Cmore etc.

If I were to do all over again, I'd do it just like that with a single stack frame.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I really love your pistol. Would I be right in saying Matt Cheely built it? has a cheely-esque feel to it.

Just curious to know why you'd go with a single stack frame instead of double stack if you were going to do it over again. Thanks!