Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizing requires extreme force

Poseidon215

Ok, I have a Hornady LnL with Lee Carbide die set in 9mm. I am having a hard time sizing brass while loading. There are times is requires a ridiculous amount of force to size the brass and even more to get it to release on the downstroke. I have been forced to use two hands at times and I know this should not be the case. I contacted Lee and their initial response this morning was to lube the cases. A friend of mine has a 650 with dillon dies and I got the chance to load on his press last night using all of my components and brass. His press ran like butter compared to mine. I sent back to Lee telling them that I isolated it down to their sizing die and that a dillon carbide die did not have any of the same issues. Also when I removed the Lee die I looked inside and there are wavy lines that almost look like machining marks that were not polished out before shipping. Does anyone have any ideas what I can/should do?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I have a Hornady LnL with Lee Carbide die set in 9mm. I am having a hard time sizing brass while loading. There are times is requires a ridiculous amount of force to size the brass and even more to get it to release on the downstroke. I have been forced to use two hands at times and I know this should not be the case. I contacted Lee and their initial response this morning was to lube the cases. A friend of mine has a 650 with dillon dies and I got the chance to load on his press last night using all of my components and brass. His press ran like butter compared to mine. I sent back to Lee telling them that I isolated it down to their sizing die and that a dillon carbide die did not have any of the same issues. Also when I removed the Lee die I looked inside and there are wavy lines that almost look like machining marks that were not polished out before shipping. Does anyone have any ideas what I can/should do?

Are you using case lube? Your dies are fine. In fact, Lee is better than Dillion dies.

No I bought carbide dies so I wouldn't have to use case lube. I did try some one shot on a few cases and it was noticeably better but I shouldn't have to. Like I said the dillon sizer went through them like it was nothing that's why I wondered if maybe I had an out of spec die or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using same press with Hornady 'carbide' dies and had somewhat similar experience.

If you don't use NuFinish during tumbling to 'slick' cases out, you will have what you describe.

Also, even if you do, and clean dies before reloading, you may still experience same thing after 50-100 rounds loaded as dies get dirty.

I now use Hornady Case Lube (spray) to spray and 'swish' cases around in a bucket before they go into press. It works very well!

I'm assuming you didn't use your dies on your friends' Dillon? That would rule out any timing issue, although it sure doesn't sound like on.

I use the same press and same dies w/out issues.

RE: case lube - many people use it, including w/carbide pistol dies. One Shot is great for this, a light mist into my ready to load bucket, close lid, shake, repeat, then load up primer tubes while the OS dries. Load up, makes everything nice and smooth, and no need (IMO) to tumble off. I don't use OS for rifle lube, though.

Sure sounds like a die issue. Any chance of some macro pics? I'd keep hounding Lee, or alternately, borrow your friends' die set for a day just to ensure nothing funny is up with the press (doubt there is, but you can use this in discussion w/Lee CS).

No I bought carbide dies so I wouldn't have to use case lube. I did try some one shot on a few cases and it was noticeably better but I shouldn't have to. Like I said the dillon sizer went through them like it was nothing that's why I wondered if maybe I had an out of spec die or something.

If everyone is ridiculously hard - then I would look at a hardware issue, but you say it ain't so.

I would remove all but the sizing die and test. I would look inside the die . Some brass is a little harder, but I use an undersized die(Lee)

I have already gone through to make sure it's not something else. The sizing die is definitely the culprit. I tried to get a macro but I cannot find the lens for the dslr and my phone wouldn't take a decent pic that you could see anything so I'll try again in the morning

I have experienced some stubborness when resizing on my Lyman Tmag press and yes - using lube did solve my problem but that slows the reloading proccess way down, plus makes things a little more messy and sticky. Granted not alot more but enough annoy me. The trick I have found to bypass using lube is in the tumbling. Use one of these two products in your tumbling media. Either Nu Finish car polish or Mineral Spirits. Both of these work very well but I myself prefer mineral spirits. Number one its cheaper and number two it does a better job removing powder residue. The Nu Finish will definity make your Brass shinyer though. But both products will leave your brass nice and slick and smooth. This made a huge difference when resizing my brass.

Things that cause hard sizing are....

Really clean cases,

Brass that is expanded more,

Die that is not centered,

One die is tighter then the other (EX: Lee vs Dillon)

Defective die.

LACK OF CASE LUBE.

I make my lube using Lee's sizing lube and a bottle of alcohol. Works great, does not need to be removed. In fact it disappears like magic when you size the case. One tube of lube to 16oz of alcohol. It's hard to mix but that is the only downside.

Here's a thread regarding lubing cases no matter what dies you use.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188166&hl=

General consensus is use lube and it seems the most popular is Hornady One Shot. Spray a little and forget about it.

I have experienced some stubborness when resizing on my Lyman Tmag press and yes - using lube did solve my problem but that slows the reloading proccess way down, plus makes things a little more messy and sticky. Granted not alot more but enough annoy me. The trick I have found to bypass using lube is in the tumbling. Use one of these two products in your tumbling media. Either Nu Finish car polish or Mineral Spirits. Both of these work very well but I myself prefer mineral spirits. Number one its cheaper and number two it does a better job removing powder residue. The Nu Finish will definity make your Brass shinyer though. But both products will leave your brass nice and slick and smooth. This made a huge difference when resizing my brass.

Danman, I don't quite follow you on slowing down the process. One Shot drys completely so no tumbling or cleaning off after. Takes 30 seconds to spray on.

OP you may indeed have a bad die, but I think you will find that lubing no matter the die will make life easier. I use a redding Titanium Carbide sizing die and still lube. 9mm can be ornery when sizing.

When looking at a carbide die, the carbide ring is the only thing that touches the case. If you see any "glitches" in the ring, then - as said above - the die is screwed. If you can detect any abnormalities in the ring in your die, I'd contact Lee CS and make arrangements to return it.

(yes, the decapping pin does touch the case :roflol: )

I've yet to use any sort of lube with any of my Dillon carbide dies in 9mm, 38/357, 44 Mag and 45 ACP in my RL1050 without any problem since the mid 1990's.

I do have a Lee U-die or undersized die for resizing bulged cases in 9mm and it does offer a good bit of resistance even with lube. The first one I had the carbide ring split in two and was replaced.

My guess is the die in question has an issue or its the brass or both.