Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about iwb holsters

ntphd

Okay, I realize this question is a bit off-topic (i.e., it's not about competitive shooting). Nevertheless, I'm guessing a lot of folks on this forum have experience with concealed carry.

I have a concealed carry license, but do not carry regularly. I'd like an iwb holster that I can simply clip on when I need to carry. Anyone have any experience this sort of product? (http://www.falcoholsters.com/eshop/gun-holsters/iwb-concealment-holsters/leather-holsters/93-iwb-concealed-leather-gun-holster-with-steel-clip-it-20s.html)

It looks like it would be great for convenience. I just wonder about stability. I wonder whether that one, convenient clip would allow the holster to move around too much when trying to draw.

Any input/experience shared will be appreciated.

Thanks.

It depends. Sometimes single attachment holsters do fine for smaller lighter guns - usually you'll be better off with pull the dot snaps on loops. The biggest issue I would have with that holster is the thumb snap - that's a lot going on in a concealed draw.

Concealed holsters are pretty personal and depend a lot on gun type, body type, and personal preference. Good luck, there is a reason that folks end up with a box of concealment holsters.

I have an IWB holster from N82 Tactical with a single clip and it is very comfortable and secure. Your belt and pants will go a long way to keep it in place. Also look at Cross Breed.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

PS: Have no experience with the one you mentioned.

Edited by chirpy

I have an IWB holster from N82 Tactical with a single clip and it is very comfortable and secure. Your belt and pants will go a long way to keep it in place. Also look at Cross Breed.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

PS: Have no experience with the one you mentioned.

This is the important part. A good belt is important, the proper pants are just as important. The looser the clothing the more the holster will move around. I use either a Galco Concealable, or a Sparks VM-2 for that reason. My belt might be solid but my pants tend to be looser around the hips and butt. Both holsters attach through either sewn in belt loops (Galco) or thumb snap loops (VM-2) and are a wide base across my belt so that the belt is what is actually holding everything solid.

You also have to consider what you are doing throughout the day. Sitting at a desk, or in a vehicle requires a different holster than one used for walking or standing a majority of the day.

Yeah, that is what I was going to suggest . . . Alien Gear. I like the IWB, and the price is hard to beat.

Just my opinion here . . . I carry ALL THE TIME, because I don't know if I could live with myself should I need it and did not have it. To witness a life lost, that I may have been able to save, that would be a bitch :eatdrink:

What gun are you planning on carrying? What location are you wanting to carry? What level of comfort do you want while carrying? If you can, go to a stocking dealer near you with your gun and try some on. See what you like and what fits you and your gun, before you buy.

As mentioned above a good belt is a must.

I personally carry everyday. I use a Galco KingTuk. Extremely comfortable in all situations. Excellent retention while not having anything to hinder a quick draw. Easily concealable. Held on by 2 belt clips. Easy enough to put on, takes me about 10 seconds every morning.

I use a Comp-tac Minotaur MTAC with a 1911 for IWB. Comfortable and stable. The Infidel Ultra may suit your needs.

The biggest issue I would have with that holster is the thumb snap - that's a lot going on in a concealed draw.

I agree with this. That is too much going on for IWB.

I used a CoMKydex for a number of years that looks similar but all kydex and no thumb break. Great holster that was comfortable and really fast to get on and off.

I also have a CompTac Minotaur. The big advantage of the Minotaur is that you can position it in a lot of different ways whereas the other style tends to shift on me. Disadvantage is all the screws and attachments. Takes longer to get into place and my screws keep coming undone. It's currently out of order until I get to the hardware store for more screws and locktite.

Hey folks, thanks so much for the great information!

I should have mentioned gun type, but truth is I haven't decided. Maybe a 1911 (commander) or a CZ P-01. Some of you already addressed the 1911.

I also should have been specific about carrying circumstances. Although I realize this will make the purists cringe . . . The reason I'm interested in the clip-style iwbs is that I would like to be able to look out of my car window, decide "yeah, I should go ahead and carry here," and then slip it and clip it.

I'll check out your suggestions. If anyone else wants to add to the list, all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks again.

They usually frown upon carry questions here but I will answer this as a "hypothetical IDPA sort of question" though I don't know if these holsters are approved for IDPA use.

Glock 23 in an Alien gear here,would almost use it in a match as I can reholster without "dropping trou" like some IWB holsters and am unsure as to it's legality in IDPA and though I haven't timed it vs. my Safariland USPSA rig it does seem pretty quick once the draw sequence is initiated....Basically the same could be said about the Crossbreed,Comp Tac, and others like this ( leather back plate/kydex shell ) Old Reliable makes them as kits if you like building your own...

Have always believed carrying is a full time thing or a no time thing, badguys don't descriminate and though it may "look OK over there" it might be too good to be true.. but I can also see where one might like to have the option available I don't because I never liked leaving one behind in an unattended vehicle (theft) and always carry concealed, I blame it on my upbringing in Massachussetts whiich required concealed and IIRC no leave in car unattended back then.

Just a thought to think about :

This is the only pistol I own that I hope turns to a pile of dust before it's primary intended role is needed,but will be glad it is there and ready if that start buzzer ever beeps :unsure:

Edited by Amerflyer48

I have a minotaur for my CZ Compact L. It's pretty nice but not the easiest to get on and off in a hurry for me. I if that was a requirement I would get the CoM Kydex that has the single large clip.

"Although I realize this will make the purists cringe . . . The reason I'm interested in the clip-style iwbs is that I would like to be able to look out of my car window, decide "yeah, I should go ahead and carry here," and then slip it and clip it."

It's not a purist or nonpurist thing, it's just plain smart to pick a setup that allows for a quick and easy carry option from a seated position inside a car. A lot of folks don't think of that. Not all situations, and locations are appropriate and/or legal for conceal carry. And sometimes leaving the holster in the car is smart, too. Smart and good planning for thinking of that.

Edited by grapemeister

I've had a hard time finding something for my P-01 for IWB in Kydex. I did find something similar in leather that works pretty good. Check out Barsony (http://www.barsonyholstersandbelts.com/servlet/the-161/Leather-Inside-the-Waistband/Detail).

I also have a BladeTech IWB Klipt Holster (http://shop.blade-tech.com/klipt-appendix-holster-c-1_13_22.html#.Uy5Msl4dB-M) for my 1911 Officer that works pretty good.

I think the leather is more comfortable though. The main drawback of the Barsony models are they ride lower and cover a bit too much of the grip for a decent draw.

Edited by IronicTwitch

I have a King Tuk myself for my 1911. Works well and I use it whenever I decide to carry that gun.

i have the king tuk for my 1911 as well, only complaint is that it hikes up my boxers where the holster is for some odd reason.

for my smaller frames i've tried several different holsters such as the remora / foxx holster / desantis / and a few more that has slipped my mind. the foxx holster and desantis is very comfortable and very well concealed. Alien holsters have a very very long waiting list!

I carry my Sig P229 in .40 S&W in a Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe horsehide IWB holster, 2 spare mags in a Blackhawk polymer double mag carrier all held up by a horshide with internal polymer stiffener from The Beltman. Love the setup, it's very comfortable and durable. I bought them in horsehide because of the extra stiffness and the resistance to moisture over bullhide. I also have a Blackhawk CQB level 2 retention OWB mostly for open carry.