Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the Texas Star

shred

[Vince, avert your eyes, this not only has a TX Star in it, but some um, Level-1 exceptions to the rulebook]

At a local match we had a stage where you had to shoot a bunch of paper above the table, then 4 poppers and a TX Star from under it.

The course designer was thinking the shooter would go prone after shooting the paper. I thought that if I sat down, I could see all the steel, only faster.

Turned out when I shot it I couldn't actually see the top of the star, so I had to do it the hard way..

Here's that part: 500K WMV Video Clip

You have got to be kidding me! Did anybody without a dot on their gun actually clean those plates as they screamed through the trans-sonic region?

Eveybody else went prone and shot the top of the star first like you're supposed to.

Ok, there was some luck involved on the last plate :D

If you shoot the star like that, but start at the top and go down one side (top plate, next one down, then sit there at 3:30 (or 8:30 if you go right) and let them roll around to you), the time is about as fast and the shooting is a whole lot easier.

• 1 year later...
<_< today was just one of those star days at the range. Normally we get stars you shoot thru the barrel which really isn't bad. You just learn to take it either from a knee or I am short enough I just squat down. But today the stage had two stars on it with poppers that activate it, a weight to make it swing and walls in between the activator and the star so the star got a good swing on it before you got there. Needless to say we watched it eat a lot of people up! Fun stage though....

• 4 years later...

definitely start at the top. I work for the Sheriff's Office and one of our Captains use to shoot competitively. Needless to say we have an excellent range. Some of us will get together and go out and set up several of the targets and come up with different courses of fire to shoot. The other day we where playing with he Texas star. We decided to make it a little harder, one of us would go up there and spin it as fast as we could then run back behind the line and start shooting. You would be amazed how fast it will spin before the plates start falling off. Don't know how far they are shot at at matches but we where shooting from 15 and 25 yards. Lots of empty mags laying on the ground at your feet! But when you go back and shoot it as it was designed, you'll clean it no problem. It's like going from the 50 yard line to the 7.

• 3 weeks later...

[Vince, avert your eyes, this not only has a TX Star in it, but some um, Level-1 exceptions to the rulebook]

At a local match we had a stage where you had to shoot a bunch of paper above the table, then 4 poppers and a TX Star from under it.

The course designer was thinking the shooter would go prone after shooting the paper. I thought that if I sat down, I could see all the steel, only faster.

Turned out when I shot it I couldn't actually see the top of the star, so I had to do it the hard way..

Here's that part: 500K WMV Video Clip

That was awesome! Do you still shoot like that or have you gotten even better?