Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dummy Rounds

Smitty79

I was thinking of making up some 9mm dummy rounds that have the right weight so that I can have a simulated loaded magazine for reloading drills. What do people use? What are your safety protocols? I do my dry firing into a cement wall about 20 ft from where I stand. I was thinking of trying to find some red coated bullets and building from there.

Use nickel plated cases and leave the dead primers in them. I don't load nickel so it makes it easy for me to ID dummies

This is exactly how I make my dummy rounds.

But, I can remember it Sarge stole the idea from me, or I stole it from him :roflol:

I don't think the 3-4 grains of powder would make any difference to the feel of the overall weight

I have seen people that drill through the cases to make them more identifiable.. I'd deprime them too.. so it more obvious

I loaded with cases that have used primers in them. I also took a red sharpie and colored the entire round red so it matches the snap cap that I keep in the top of the mag. That way there is no way to confuse they are dummy rounds.

I loaded them with just the bullet and no primer at all. I then colored them with a sharpie. I also have them in my "dry fire only" mags. They get beat up in dry fire so I make sure I dont use those mags at a match.

I made some rounds up with just the case and old gold coloured projectiles that I no longer use. My current loads have a deep orange projectile so they are distinctly different.

The only thing I don't like is dropping a full mag onto the hard floor. I will load one mag with only three rounds and use it as the starting mag so it isn't hitting the deck with as much force.... I figure this is going to be closer to what the mag will have in it that I drop in a reload for a match anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a good idea to practice draws/reloads with dummy rounds. Any time you are trying to develop muscle memory through practice it is best to simulate, to the greatest extent possible, all of the external variables that will be present in the real life situation. It is a small amount of weight, but our fine motor skills are generally a lot more perceptive to small details than we are.

as for dropping full mags on the floor, I don't like to that either I normally stand facing the bed so they fall on something soft. This is assuming you are home of course.

I fold up a blanket to place on the floor in my basement dry fire range. They land much softer that way.

My wife calls it my prayer mat. I guess that might be pretty close to being true.

I use no primers in my dummy rounds so it makes them more obvious. I also never put them into the chamber. I personally use a little rubber o-ring under the hammer just because it's quieter and less harsh sounding than going klack klack klack all the time. I have 2 mags that I leave loaded with dummy rounds all the time so I can easily throw my rig on every day for 15 mins or so after work.

The trick is to find something that works for you, so that you never get confused which is which. I double-check the primers every time i gear up to practice, and I dry-fire downstairs, far away from any live ammo or non-practice-mags.

As far as dropping magazines, i use the laundry basket about half full of clothes. I also occasionally do drills in the yard (onto grass) that involve dropping the mags too.

I made mine with brass black and some FMJ bullets from MG which I don't use anymore due to cost. Blackening the case head, no primer because my firing pins aren't weak and puny, and a ton of crimp. I have to reseat bullets and crimp again occasionally.

I try not to drop fully loaded mags on my carpet, but like to reload with a full one for realism.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the 3-4 grains of powder would make any difference to the feel of the overall weight

I have seen people that drill through the cases to make them more identifiable.. I'd deprime them too.. so it more obvious

Same Here, I use Nickle Brass, Deprime, and drill a hole through the side of case and check like 3 times when I put them in my mags.

Edited by deerassassin22

I use two laundry baskets with some old rags inside, put them up on a couple of stools, roughly where I'm going to execute reloads while leaving a position. This gives me a very limited window as to where the reload must be done.

• 3 weeks later...

Good thread. I heard some good ideas I had not thought of. I too only load the bullet and color the brass red. At first I left the used primers in but my firing pin would get stuck in the primer after repeated dry firing.

• 4 weeks later...

Until recently the majority of my mag change practice was done with empty mags. I bought a set of 2 snap caps I would put one on the chamber and one in the first mag on my belt.

I noticed that I had fewer flubbed reloads with that first mag because I had fewer edges to catch. And then while at the range in a practice session I was getting irritated because mag changes werent as smooth as they shouldve been. Realized the weight difference threw me off quite considerably.

Got my new press last weekend. One of my first projects was making a few dummy rounds without powder or primers. And I also lightly coated the headstamps with red spray paint. I dont ever plan on chambering these but it helps for quick recognition.

When I begin a dryfire session. I unload the pistol (it currently serves double duty as my night stand gun) and repeat out loud that I am going to practice as I load the dummies. Then when im done I unload the dummies and reload the real rounds and say out loud that the gun is hot and I do not ever mess with it once its reloaded and placed back in the bedside holster. Keeps me from having any "oopsies" everything is very deliberate.