Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection

Yaarr

Hi Guys, which do you think is better Hearing Protection, (Peltor, etc) or Moulded Earplugs.

My second part of the question is because when I have tried Oakley Shooting glasses with my Peltor Hearing Protecton, they don't fit very well, so in order to wear my Peltor, I have to use slim flat Shooting glasses, or it would seem that if I wanted to wear Oakley Shooting glasses then the best way would be to buy Moulded Earplugs.

Lastly, where is the best/cheapest place to buy some Moulded Earplugs, as here in UK they are really expensive and I may be coming to Florida in February?

Any advise here would be welcome.

Ear plugs are almost always going to be "better" in terms of sound reduction than ear muffs of any sort. I haven't tried the molded/custom plugs as they are expensive and for the same price I can buy a several year supply of cheapo disposable foam plugs.

I use the foam plugs and electronic hearing protection (Dillon). I crank up the gain on the Dillons so I can still hear normal conversation but get all the noise attenuation (plus it keeps my ears warm during the cold weather matches).

I am of the opinion that hearing protection is really a matter of personal preference.

If you want to explore the custom molded plugs look up any good audiologist (look in the phone book under "Hearing Aids" or whatever you call them across the pond).

There have been a few threads about custom plugs here so you might try a search as well and see if you can turn those threads.

Hope that helps.

For IPSC shooting, especially around the guys with hybrid guns, I like to do as Kimel sugested and wear plugs under the electronic muffs. I use the Peltors 6s. I wear Oakley M-frame and even though they interfere a little with the muffs, once the settel in tehy aren't a problem. And with the plugs, it's not a problem.

I went from the cheapy foam to the peltor 6s. It was nice for a while but the electronic stuff doesn't have the noise reduction of the foam sqishies and now I pay the price with some hearing loss.

I'm with kimel use the foam and the electronic muffs this works pretty good and hey! you only have one ear., well most have two.. you get the idea B)

Yaarr,

IMHO the most important thing about earplugs/muffs is to get some that you can wear all day. If your plugs/muff are uncomfortable, you won't wear them. If you don't wear them, well.....

Also. if you are wearing earplugs, be sure to wear them correctly. They must be properly inserted into the ear canal, not just placed in the ear. IMHO, improperly worn ear protection is only marginally better than no ear protection.

I wear foam plugs and used to wear Peltor 6's. I wear plugs and muffs if shooting indoors.

FWIW

dj

Thanks guys.

I have tried the disposable foam ones, many times inside my Peltors, but they don't seem to seat inside my ears properly, so now I only use them inside my Peltors if I am on a stage with a tunnel, etc.

They ony reason I was asking, is because I was finaly thinking (after many years of cheaper Shooting glasses) of buying some Oakley M Frames and I wondered how they worked with custom-molded earplugs, as I find them annoying with Peltors.

Also I think that both items will be cheaper in USA.

Thanks again.

I have both, custom Molded Ear plugs and Peltor ComTac(both expensive...:/), with Wiley xl1. The reason I went for the molded plugs - after an entire day of standing at matches, the ear muffs caused the back my ears to feel sore and painful...that you have to take them off every couple of minutes.

Do a search for Soundscope shooting earplugs. In my opinion they are the best. they are molded to fit your ears, with electronic hearing enhancement, and loud noise reduction. when it is hot, you are cool, and when it's cold, you can wear you skull cap over your ears. another plus, is they don't interfere when you are shooting your long guns. several of my friends have them, and we have been in the car on our way home, before we realized we still had them in. they are that unnoticable. in my area they are available for 409.00 out the door. which is just a little more than pro ears or peltors. look at it as one less gun you can buy, but we all take them off of the end of our list's anyway.

im sure somebody will be making ear plugs at the Florida Open.

I wear custom molded, and Pro ears. the pro ears work fine, but i need

the extra from the plugs when im shooting, helps reduce flinch.

peltor 6s for me when shooting my standard pistol, when shooting my m16 i use foam plugs. the ear muffs get on the way of the cheek weld.

People here are right, when i am behind a guy who shoots a modified or open pistol, i feel that the peltors do not do the job that well. i double plug in these instances

I use foam plugs and Dillon muffs over the top.

Someone needs to ask Oakley if they have any alternate ear stems to reduce the pressure when using muffs. You can angle the stems above your ear without too much trouble and this may help some.

I'll send an email to Oakley and ask them if there are alternative ear-stems available.

Also if you are thinking of getting some custom made ear plugs then get them when you visit Florida.

The exchange rate is almost $2 to the pound at the moment so you will save a lot of money by getting them made here.

Soundscopes are the best hearing protection I have used. They are cooler in the summer, and warm in the winter because they do not restrict the type of headwear used. For this same reason they work great with your long guns too.

They only reduce the volume of the shot to an acceptable level, not blank it out. Conversation is normal, so normal you forget you're wearing them.

Sure they are over $400, but they are worth it. You can get them from an audiologist. Once you own them, nothing else will do.

I see people use those squeeze-type plugs that expand in your ear. But I also see them removing it after every stage and then putting it back on when shooting. With the amount of crud our hands are handling in the range, this isn't really a healthy practice, is it? :unsure:

• 5 months later...