Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 938 carry with lowered hammer?

valkabit

In my opinion, planning to hand-cock the hammer while under stress of a potential life and death encounter is a VERY bad idea. I carry my 938 chamber loaded, cocked, with safety engaged - it's always functioned just like any other 1911; reliable as a rock and it's never discharged unless I pulled the trigger.

Agree with the guys above.

From a mechanical perspective, I believe the P938 has a firing pin block, so if the hammer is pulled back far enough to not engage the sear and then slips and falls forward it shouldn't activate the firing pin without the trigger being released/engaged/pulled.

Anyone else confirm the FPB design? I haven't tried this on the range with a non-FPB gun, but I'd imagine you'd need a very sensitive primer to get a primer ignition from a partial hammer fall.

Edited by IronicTwitch

Yes the P938 has a firing pin block. I agree with Fullauto_Shooter, that assuming you will be able to cock the hammer is a bad idea.It's definitely easier to push the safety off.

Many people start off uncomfortable with the cocked and locked idea, and if that's your friends issue I understand. Once you get a working knowledge of the firing mechanism of a 1911 style pistol, you realize that a lot of things have to fail before the pistol could ever discharge when you don't want it to.

Dave

I carry a 938. Not only does it have the FPB, it also has a very positive safety engagement. It is extremely safe and very difficult to disengage the safety unless you mean to do so. I carry it not only because it shoots incredibly well but it is a miniature version of my 2011 competition gun which has thousands upon thousands of rounds down the pipe. In a bad situation I will be guided by muscle memory alone, it almost shoots identically.

I carry a 938. Not only does it have the FPB, it also has a very positive safety engagement. It is extremely safe and very difficult to disengage the safety unless you mean to do so. I carry it not only because it shoots incredibly well but it is a miniature version of my 2011 competition gun which has thousands upon thousands of rounds down the pipe. In a bad situation I will be guided by muscle memory alone, it almost shoots identically.

Very well said - I find the same thing to be true about similarity to the 1911 / 2011 platform. I've tried all types of pocket pistols - Kel Tecs, Ruger LCPs, Kahrs, and others; for my money the SIG 938 easily surpasses them all.

It's much safer to carry it cocked and locked, the way it was designed.

Less chance of an ND than lowering the hammer on an empty chamber, and MUCH less chance of getting your skull caved in with a tire iron while you're trying to cock the hammer.

• 4 weeks later...

This is my new sig p938. It's a SAS model. I didn't like the plastic trigger from the start so I found a SS trigger on eBay and replaced it. I also replaced the hammer spring with one from Galloway precision and now the trigger is a nice 5.5-6#. And it looks great. I would love to replace the hammer with one of SS but can't seem to find one. If anybody knows of a SS hammer please reply. Thanks

I can't seem to upload the pic. Sorry.

Edited by Ttrnash

You lose fine motor skills during combat so you most likely will NOT be able to pull the hammer back under stress for a life or death attack. Which may leave you pulling the trigger back wondering why the gun won't fire. If he's not comfortable carrying this way he should look at a different carry gun. It's not like the wild west where you had to carry your revolver on an empty chamber because the galloping of your horse would set your gun off.

+ 12 or is it +13?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, under lots of stress (like during a shoot out), the brain can only handle "small or fine motor skills" like cocking the hammer reliably without supposedly thousands of repetitions in practice (they told us in training classes it took 3k times to do a small motor skill under stress), so they taught the sling shot method of slide release to use after going empty and having the slide lock back, instead of just hitting the slide release lever. Of course everyone is different and that number will vary from person to person.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Does anyone use the pocket carry holster that Sig sells?

I have a Sig 238 and I use the Sig pocket holster. The holster works great, but it is bulky. I carry in my front pocket, but I do need large pockets. The Remora holster is also an option and it is much less bulky.