Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who else thinks that the current ammo shortage is a form of gun control?

Just think ,if we are unable to get ammo, reloading components ,then what good are our guns?

When a man is unable to go in any store and buy 22LR, when the ammo companies are supposedly running 24/7.

What gives? And as far as finding any 22s ,I am not going to pay $60 a brick, I know I know , Should have stocked up earlier,(biggest BS line I hear), Ive got a stock of 22s, But that wont last forever! But what about the guy, who works, supports his family with what paycheck he gets week to week and then only is able to do a little shooting when and he has a few spare dollars to spend on the ammo, he is SOL!

Just my 2cents, flame away people, I can take it !!

BTW if push comes to shove, I have a cap and ball revolver, enough powder, and lead for the round balls. even have the molds for the round balls and mini balls too!

Like all conspiracy theories, it is POSSIBLE that you're correct.

I firmly cling to the belief that WE, the shooters, have been buying

everything in sight, because there's a shortage. :surprise:

And, there's a shortage because we've been buying everything in sight. :sight:

But, I can't prove it. You might be right. :ph34r:

Around here the ammo scabs line up at Walmart and Academy and buy up all the .22 then re-list it for profit on the local gun sites (see Armslist). You can get just about anything at Walmart right now except .22.

I know I know , Should have stocked up earlier

So here is your problem. Ever since Obama came into office there has been a major gun grab by the public trying to stock up in advance of the impending next assault weapons ban.

We all did this to ourselves and every time you see ammo on the shelves and buy and stock pile every box you are part of the problem. The laws of supply and demand are driving up prices on what you can find.

DHS isn't stockpiling ammo as part of a conspiracy. Iraq and Afghanistan didn't help.

People are now settling down a bit and I am seeing much more on the shelves. I think we are out of the rough for a bit but I think ammo hording by the public is the new reality that will continue to affect price and availability.

Not trying to start a flame war, Just a conversation! Yes I can find ammo here and there, But the prices are crazy .I'm talking about the average Joe who cant really afford it, when he feels like it . And yes I know that the scalpers are out in droves.

But as far a us as shooters buying up everything we see, I don't know. But why cant the ammo companies and powder companies get it out to us, no one can buy up powder ,primers ,bullets that fast. The powder and ammo companies can surely run at fast speed, Or can they only go at a snails pace? And are they running 24/7?

I would just really like to know !

Like I said, Our guns are not worth squat without bullets or powder!

BTW, I do have it on good authority(family member) that one of the big chain stores is hoarding a big stockpile at their distribution center ! Like 5 tractor trailer loads

Edited by ghost21

I was just over at a local WallyWorld and they had a lot of Ammo on the shelves. No, there weren't any rimfire .22s but considering that .22s are probably the most popular caliber and are owned by more people than anything else it makes sense that the demand would be highest for them.

I think it will slowly get better as the average family may want a few thousand on hand, but not a closet full.

I also doubt that many companies are going to spend millions to expand production when they also feel the demand will decline in the not too far distant future.

As far as powder goes, there are many more people getting into reloading which means they all want a few 8lb containers in the closet, as well as all the old reloaders who want many 8lb containers in the closets. The fire in the plant in Australia didn't help the effort either with some of the Hodgdon powders.

I want to know where all the powder is....I mean every kind....when suppliers like powder valley, grafs, widners, midway, brownells have been out since it seems Nixon was in office something is going on....

Prior proper planning

post-16683-0-42546400-1394068302_thumb.j post-16683-0-54415800-1394068338_thumb.j

Because as soon as someone finds powder in Stock they buy up as much as they can and so they don't have to worry about shortages next time. I have noticed pretty steady stock availability for companies who have limited primer boys to a small number of boxes per order.

I had a discussion with a shooter sponsored by an ammo manufacturer who was running 24x7 shifts but had backorders which would take several years to clear.

There had been some hesitation to invest in new capacity since demand will likely taper off.

Who else thinks that the current ammo shortage is a form of gun control?

Most of it is self inflicted. panic buying is why the ammo supplies evaporated, and gougers buying ammo to scalp on Craig's list. The stampede started because of the idiots who think that the current admin can collect all the guns and ammo, so gun sales spiked and people wanted to buy five cases of ammo for every new gun. The panic got worse when ammo supplies dried up and never really abated.

There has been a shortage for at least a decade, because the upsurge in global wars uses ammo.... and it is a finite resource. We have reduced inflow of imported supplies like Wolf, Tulah, Sellier + bellott and we have reduced output of US makers because they also have to fill government contracts (which they will not admit they have).

I know I know , Should have stocked up earlier

So here is your problem. Ever since Obama came into office there has been a major gun grab by the public trying to stock up in advance of the impending next assault weapons ban.

That is it exactly. And each time there is a public shooting, the frenzy explodes to fever pitch panic and the ammo is all gone again because everybody is sure the guns are going to be confiscated.

5 tractor trailer loads is nothing in terms of quantity. I work at a large retailer and I can tell you since Obama took office demand (aka sales) has been growing incredibly fast. Suppliers just can't keep up and are unwilling to invest a lot of Capitol. They add labor and run lines 24/7 but there is a limit. To change the availability you have to invest capital. But it is much more profitable to run your lines at max capacity.

I think they fear that if they drop 50 million or whatever to build more buildings and then demand drops off they get left holding the bag. As it is. They are probably growing profits rather nicely.

5 tractor trailer loads is nothing in terms of quantity. I work at a large retailer and I can tell you since Obama took office demand (aka sales) has been growing incredibly fast. Suppliers just can't keep up and are unwilling to invest a lot of Capitol. They add labor and run lines 24/7 but there is a limit. To change the availability you have to invest capital. But it is much more profitable to run your lines at max capacity.

I think they fear that if they drop 50 million or whatever to build more buildings and then demand drops off they get left holding the bag. As it is. They are probably growing profits rather nicely.

If they jumped on it 6 yrs ago when this started, they would have paid for the capital expense ten fold.

Do you know how many people I hear say they are getting into loading? They then go out and buy powder, primers and bullets...I ask them what kind of setup are they running and the typical response "Oh I don't have loader yet, I'm just getting suppliers for when I start" and I usually have this look on my face :surprise: . If you don't reload, then stop buying up supplies the ones who do would really appreciate it (thanks).

As for loaded rounds, I can get 9, 40, 45, .223, .308 and .22...how much do you want to pay for it???

Do you know how many people I hear say they are getting into loading? They then go out and buy powder, primers and bullets...I ask them what kind of setup are they running and the typical response "Oh I don't have loader yet, I'm just getting suppliers for when I start" and I usually have this look on my face :surprise: . If you don't reload, then stop buying up supplies the ones who do would really appreciate it (thanks).

As for loaded rounds, I can get 9, 40, 45, .223, .308 and .22...how much do you want to pay for it???

I understand you view. I hope you understand the view of the person getting into it. Spending hundreds on equipment that will be sitting for months waiting to luck into a couple $25 pounds of powder is frustrating. Having the components justifies the investment in the machine. They are also able to look at many current reloaders and say "Please stop buying up years worth of components so that we can get some product and join you at the range".

Ghost21 wrote:

....BTW, I do have it on good authority(family member) that one of the big chain stores is hoarding a big stockpile at their distribution center ! Like 5 tractor trailer loads

Pics or.....

Why not sell it now?

I don't understand why they are just sitting on it???

Ghost21 wrote:

....BTW, I do have it on good authority(family member) that one of the big chain stores is hoarding a big stockpile at their distribution center ! Like 5 tractor trailer loads

Pics or.....

Why not sell it now?

I don't understand why they are just sitting on it???

Believe only half of what you see, and none of what you hear ;)

If they jumped on it 6 yrs ago when this started, they would have paid for the capital expense ten fold.

No, because panic demand is not real demand. It will eventually drop off and all the extra production capacity will be unused and the money they invested will be wasted. They make WAYYYY more money starving the market and keeping prices high. Just ask Big Oil..... Edited by bountyhunter