Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AP Custom Handguard

rumblestrip

I was going to get on of these, but the rail moves? Is this just 49ers fan handguard or everyones? My samson doesnt move at all

My 17" AP handguard does deflect with pressure AND it returns when the pressure is removed.

I was going to get on of these, but the rail moves? Is this just 49ers fan handguard or everyones? My samson doesnt move at all

I am not speaking of any rail movement because my AP tube has no rail segments attached.. That said, if I wrap my fingers around my 18" barrel and press very hard with the heel of my hand on the very end of my 15" AP hand guard, I can get it to deflect a small amount. Once I release the force on the tube end, it returns to the original position. The force I have to exert on it to get a noticeable deflection is relatively large. My gas block is untouched under normal use and the barrel and attached Syrac gas block are completely "free floating."

I had an 11+ inch Samson Evolution on a carbine and of course it would not meaningfully deflect on a similar load because it was very think metal, by comparison. All these free float rails are cantilever beams, after all. There will be some degree of deflection, even if you cannot see it with the naked eye.

My local gunsmith installed the AP on my request, so I don't know all the details of what he did in the installation process. In all past rifle use the barrel hasn't been contacted by the hand guard. That's all the matters to me

If you want carbon fiber that has a different attachment scheme as well as more continuous fiber reinforcement (the AP has lots of holes cut in it) then may I suggest the Carbon Arms items here ( I have an earlier version of it on an upper they built for me. It's a fine unit, no doubt. Furthermore, I like the new attachment scheme even better than before. It's even in 308. :-) Every Carbon Arms product I've bought (4 or 5 different ones) has been top notch. If I ever decide to replace the AP, I will almost certainly use a Caron Arms unit.

Edited by michael1778

Yes. I can watch the handguard move and the screws stay still.

My 15" AP deflects with a lot of pressure but it springs back to its original position. Are you sure your bolts aren't bottoming out just before being 100% tight? The HG should not shift from it mounting position once set properly.

My 15" will deflect, with a lot of pressure, as in #29 above. but returns to the original position when pressure removed. It would not move that much if resting on a bench rest device or a fence rail as it doesn't weigh enough.

Yes. I can watch the handguard move and the screws stay still.

My 15" AP deflects with a lot of pressure but it springs back to its original position. Are you sure your bolts aren't bottoming out just before being 100% tight? The HG should not shift from it mounting position once set properly.

I am pretty sure. I can feel it getting tighter on the tube.

Here is what it looks like when it's centered up.

20140306_163250.jpg

This is what it looks like when it's bumped

20140306_163230.jpg

I just thought it was normal. Based on everyone else, it looks like that isnt the case.

You have a problem somewhere in the attachment parts, either the screws or the part under the barrel nut. I'd remove the screws, take it off and check everything from that point.

Agreed. You need a "do over" on the attachment. Something isn't quite right.

I don't understand How It's the part under the barrel nut. I said earlier I can watch the forearm move and the screws stay still.

Remove the screws, remove the HG, Thread the screws in till they bottom out. Is there a considerable gap between the head and trunnion? While its off double check the tightness of the trunnion to the barrel nut.

I don't understand How It's the part under the barrel nut. I said earlier I can watch the forearm move and the screws stay still.

Remove the screws, remove the HG, Thread the screws in till they bottom out. Is there a considerable gap between the head and trunnion? While its off double check the tightness of the trunnion to the barrel nut.

I'll do that tonight.

• 6 months later...

I don't need a top rail at all but I still got one because they can be had around 1-1/2" o.d. and a round one is automatically about 2" for gas block clearance. I'm not a thumb wrapper so it's never been in my way for a good grip and with my little hands I definitely prefer the smallest o.d. possible.

Joeboboutfitters had them in stock a couple of weeks ago.

Seems a lot of people are going to be ordering the new octagonal offering so aren't restocking the round ones yet (speculation warning).

Edited by jtaylor996

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3879

I put this on my build I did last month and I love it so far.

I went with lancer, as well. I had a screw strip (it was only hand tight!!!) immediately. Really screwed my range trip up, as I was having gas tune issues and couldn't get to the block adjustment.

After that it's been great. But for the price those screws should be a lot better.

The shifting and staying shifted issue is that your retaining screws are not tight enough. Mine does that if I don't tighten the dickens out of the 3 retaining screws, add more elbow grease and the handguard returns to normal.

Thanks guys. One of the members had a 15 that I bought from him a couple days ago. And I bought a 16 Clark custom that I'm going to have a machinest friend play around w on cuts and design to see what he can do since it's a solid blank with no cuts at all. I am really looking for a 17 ap but that's starting to feel like a unicorn right now.