Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 THUMB SAFETY INSTALL

stickboy44

I just tried fitting a single sided thumb safety on my 2011

When the safety is on and you pull the trigger.. the hammer falls and pushes the safety off...

Did I take too much metal off when fitting it?

Edited by stickboy44

Most of these are cast, so peening or welding may not work so well. It's also a tricky area to get into. Not sure how you're going to peen in the right location. Same for welding. You have either do a real fine TiG bead or spend the time to dress it down. Better to just start over with a new part.

Most of these are cast, so peening or welding may not work so well. It's also a tricky area to get into. Not sure how you're going to peen in the right location. Same for welding. You have either do a real fine TiG bead or spend the time to dress it down. Better to just start over with a new part.

Peen or welding works sometimes.

I see a lot of self fitters have a very scary safety. Or should I say non-safety. Make sure you check if it works. Cock pistol and put safety on and pull trigger. Nothing as scary as knowing you have been holstering a light single action trigger with no safety. Great way to get a hole in your foot.

I have fitted a few without incident and have found the 10-8 armorer's block to be helpful along with removing the grip safety so you can see how much to remove. Most importantly, go slow. There is usually just one light swipe of the file between doesn't fit and just fits.