Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Medium to long range carbine

DDustin

Does anyone know of any good medium to long range carbine training videos and classes? Everything seems to cover hosing targets at 25 and 50 yards but I need to cover 200-600 yards techniques.

Thanks a lot.

Dustin

Oh, I got cha I would suggest taking a class from Red Neck Tactical. Those guys teach a whole bunch of what you are looking for in their rifle classes. Get hold of KurtM or Bigbrowndog on these forums.

Edited by kurtm

Oh, I got cha I would suggest taking a class from Red Neck Tactical. Those guys teach a whole bunch of what you are looking for in their rifle classes. Get hold of KurtM or Bigbrowndog on these forums.

This is coming from a guy who, while old, still uses REAL iron sights to shoot those distances. I've seen the grey hair in person, and still didn't believe it possible.

I am going to try and dance on the head of a pin here...and I will likely get some hate mail...ho well.

Most of the top 3Gun Pros are not good riflemen. Sure, they have an enviable skillset and can do amazing things inside 100 yards, but stretch it out??? I have witnessed numerous monumental failures by some of the top names when the targets stretch out past 100 yards. The ability to hit offhand 100 to 150 and to go 1 for 1 on those 300-600 yard targets...those portions of stages eat the lunch of several top guys. So much so in fact that some won't go to the 2 or 3 matches that require those skills on multiple stages. If I were to list the names of some of the best riflemen who happen to shoot 3Gun, some you would know, but a bunch you would not. What is funny is that 4 of the best riflemen (my opinion) in the game are guys who shoot Irons/1x...KurtM, JamesC, PatrickK and KellyN. Voight is insane when the distances stretch. But watch guys like Carl Carbon and Dan Sierpina go one for one on the long range portion of stages and it is just impressive. These guys have the cadence to shoot more hits per second than the guy who empties the 60 rounder on a 6 target array. Have you ever seen Dan win a stage? No, but in the long range portion, I have seen him lay down runs that would put that portion in the top 5, the man can shoot a rifle!

NO, you will never get good watching video. Sure, there are some long range shooting videos, and series out there that will give you some "stuff" to fill up your brain, but there is no substitute for trigger time. A class with a guy like Kurt will cut down the frustration and amount of ammo you burn getting there, but you still have to put in the time on the range, not on youtube. I will admit I have more dryfire trigger presses on my 700s than my ARs, pistols and shotguns combined, and you can learn a lot. I yell at myself doing dryfire on my 700s, because I can SEE my mistakes...I try to burn it in so that it is natural. But when you don't know what the mistakes are and how they affect your impacts, frustration sets in. Also, if you do math and figure drops and holds on the range, you have lost already. The math gets you to a point, but DOPE (key words are "Previous Engagements") has to be experienced on the range. Building the consistent position can be somewhat learned on video, but you have to apply it on your rig with your shoulder and trigger finger and see the results.

So, if you go take a class from a guy like Kurt (is there really anyone like him, we hope not) and you get those fundamentals as a foundation and then you can practice those and you will see a marked improvement.

speaking of going one for one, I watched Mr. Miller go one for one 22 times on a stage with all the targets needing to be engaged either at 45* or 90* thru a pallet slat gap with irons the other day, it was quite impressive.

nice shootin' bro!!

Trapr

Mark, I like you too!!

There is not much offered in the training realm for this type of shooting. Most carbine classes focus on shooting well under 100.

My advice, take a class from Kurt or Voigt (or me!) or even take a "precision shooting/sniper rifle" class. Jerry M and Bennie Cooley's videos will give you some perspective on positions and barricades. Better yet buy a set of MGM lollipop targets and shoot them till the break!! (something that I've not been able to accomplice but getting close on one lollipop).

Shoot groups at 200 and 300, master your zero, do short focused drills on your new set of MGM lollipops: offhand, supported offhand, reverse kneeling, sitting and prone

It's going to be tough to find tactical/practical rifle classes that deal with much beyond 200yds because that's beyond what's commonly considered practical for a carbine.

You might want to look into taking your carbine to a precision rifle course from someone who is going to stress 100-200 for half the time and give you a chance to see what you can do at 300-600yd against guys with bolt actions.

http://practicalfirearmstraining.com/

Edited by Graham Smith

I HAD to learn how to shoot a rifle when I started shooting 3-Gun...so what did I do? I hooked up with a NRA High-Power rifle group and shot Service Rifle for a year. I listened and learned from the guys who played that game. By the end of that year I had a Service Rifle Master card.

If I had known Kurt back then I would have found a way to learn all this in a day or two by taking a class from the IRON Master himself!

KellyN is a High-Power rifleman and I know that Dan Sierpina is too. I believe Kurt is too. See a pattern here?

Want to know how...now? Sign up for a RedNeck (Kurt and Trapr) class!

+1 you will spend more $$$ on ammo trying to figure it out for yourself (like I did) than the cost of the class and you will be good in far less time. I wish I had just taken a class... still might.

Mark, you can add Tate Moots and Kuan Watson to your list of long range rifle men.

I HAD to learn how to shoot a rifle when I started shooting 3-Gun...so what did I do? I hooked up with a NRA High-Power rifle group and shot Service Rifle for a year. I listened and learned from the guys who played that game. By the end of that year I had a Service Rifle Master card.

If I had known Kurt back then I would have found a way to learn all this in a day or two by taking a class from the IRON Master himself!

KellyN is a High-Power rifleman and I know that Dan Sierpina is too. I believe Kurt is too. See a pattern here?

Want to know how...now? Sign up for a RedNeck (Kurt and Trapr) class!

I've been really wanting to shoot service rifle matches but I haven't seen any near me. I even started puting together a rifle for it. I have also bee trying to find out info about the Redneck classes but I can't seem to find that either. I would love to take some of their classes.

I've been really wanting to shoot service rifle matches but I haven't seen any near me. I even started puting together a rifle for it. I have also bee trying to find out info about the Redneck classes but I can't seem to find that either. I would love to take some of their classes.

Try the NRA website for schedules, or the back of the American Rifleman. Make sure your gun meets the allowed modifications. It's a long day to shoot 88 rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not by any means a good rifleman, but I will say, on the way long(er) distance stage at the SE Regional (150-290), where I shot by FAR my best stage (6th/180ish) it was all about controlling breathing, picking the proper shooting stance, and getting a nice trigger squeeze. I think the only reason I beat a lot of people is because I took the time to settle into good shooting positions (which takes practice and can be done dry-fire easily), and then using good fundamentals.

Practice kneeling, crouching, standing prone, etc. with a barrier and at different angles and settling the sights before a trigger pull. For 3 gun long distance I think the most important thing is getting into a solid position as fast as possible.

Practice kneeling, crouching, standing prone, etc. with a barrier and at different angles and settling the sights before a trigger pull. For 3 gun long distance I think the most important thing is getting into a solid position as fast as possible.

What he said. But I would Save your money on the video and buy more bullets and practice. Nothing is better than good practice!

Id like to take a class like this sometime. Rifle really seems to be the deciding factor at many matches and its by far my weakest aspect. As well it should be, I shoot far less rifle rounds than anything else, and I can only rarely go beyond 200 yards.

Any quick tips on a proper kneeling position?