Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Waiting 15 years...

GrumpyOne

For a position to open up at a certain company (the position would have me checking and doing quality control on the equipment I currently install), being told hundreds of times that they need me in that position (the company filling the position telling me this), finally having that position come open, and finding out that they intend to hire from within and train whomever they hire.

Lovely.

That sucks G. Seems like these days everyone is full of shit. I'd talk to whoever supervises the person who told you that they were going to hire and train from within and give them the straight dope about the actual cost of doing this. Training is expensive, and in critical situations where experience counts, inexperience can cost millions.... Grumpy experienced guy.... Priceless!!!! :bow:

That sucks G. Seems like these days everyone is full of shit. I'd talk to whoever supervises the person who told you that they were going to hire and train from within and give them the straight dope about the actual cost of doing this. Training is expensive, and in critical situations where experience counts, inexperience can cost millions.... Grumpy experienced guy.... Priceless!!!! :bow:

The guy who told me they were gonna hire and train from within....is the guy who is gonna do the hiring and training from within...

For a position to open up at a certain company (the position would have me checking and doing quality control on the equipment I currently install), being told hundreds of times that they need me in that position (the company filling the position telling me this), finally having that position come open, and finding out that they intend to hire from within and train whomever they hire.

Lovely.

Yeah. How do you know when your boss is lying? Lips are moving.......

I worked in industry for over 30 years and learned a lot of sad truths: the loudest complainers get the lion's share of the raises and perks. The good soldiers who patiently wait for what they are promised only get the shaft.

Edited by bountyhunter

In today's working world: experienced guy = expendable because new guy with less experience will hire on for a lot less...... and then they train him and their need is met until he realizes he's being screwed and quits to go somewhere else. Then they hire another cheap replacement and train him.... and the cycle repeats itself. Probably does end up costing the company more in the real cost, but stupidity is not in short supply among the people who decide such things.

The guy who told me they were gonna hire and train from within....is the guy who is gonna do the hiring and training from within...

Guess who will train him..

Not I....I work for a completely different company....I was actually trying to get hired by my customer....their "Advanced Technical Support" will get no more technical support from me...Good enough to call when the SHTF and nobody else can fix it, but not good enough to hire.

Gah! I am soooo sorry to hear about this. Please accept my profoundest condolences. :(

All of you who posted here thus far are RIGHT. And I, too, have encountered my share (or maybe even more than my share) of sadly-lacking, shouldn't-be-in-that-position managers. Don't get me started or blood will start spewing from my eyes . . . <_<

I have been hosed royally since leaving the military over 10 years ago. This is why my sig line says I don't trust anybody.

Sorry to hear about your "shafting" my friend. Would be the last time I EVER helped them.

If it makes you feel any better, I had to fire an employee in good standing the other day because the boss "didn't want him there" I questioned why since he was literally one of our best employees.... I got fired for it.

But I didn't back down, and I know at the end of the day I acted with integrity even if it cost me my job.

There are a few good folks out there, but good luck finding them anymore :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it makes you feel any better, I had to fire an employee in good standing the other day because the boss "didn't want him there" I questioned why since he was literally one of our best employees.... I got fired for it.

But I didn't back down, and I know at the end of the day I acted with integrity even if it cost me my job.

I guess you're a victim of the new pot laws in Colorado. Your boss MUST be high......

I guess you're a victim of the new pot laws in Colorado. Your boss MUST be high......

No offence to prior military in any way shape or form here, but he is a former "high level operative" and it has built a huge ego for him. So big in fact, he said "No one questions me" in the conversation we were having. I LOL'd

Its pretty sad really, great business idea, poor leadership skills (and leadership skills are knowing when to accept advice from others that have experience in a certain field tha you know you aren't good at) another small business fail soon I fear.

Not I....I work for a completely different company....I was actually trying to get hired by my customer....their "Advanced Technical Support" will get no more technical support from me...Good enough to call when the SHTF and nobody else can fix it, but not good enough to hire.

So the guy who will be taking the job you wanted at this other company... you will be forced to interact/"interface" with him?

Interesting...

Sounds like somebody just handed you lemons. Time to make some lemonade.

Ah, technical support.

Many years ago I worked digital subscriber loop repair for Qwest Communications here in Albuquerque. On those off times that I could not get a system back up I would call AT&T tech support in Denver. Those guys were sharp. In Qwest's infinite wisdom, we were told not to call AT&T anymore but to use a new in house tech support group. First call, "leave a message and...". Went home that night with the system still in the tank. About 10:30pm the boss called screaming and yelling, "don't leave that remote until the system is back up!" That turned into a 28 hour day and would have gone longer if my second level didn't call to ask what the problem was. He ended up telling my manager to call the tech support group's manager at 2:00 am and demanding that one of the two tech support guys, for 14 states, get out of bed and reply to the message I left 2 days before.

Made a crap load of $$$ doing it their way.

Pat

So the guy who will be taking the job you wanted at this other company... you will be forced to interact/"interface" with him?

Interesting...

Yes, I will be interacting with them. Yes, I will have to help train them. No, I won't be able to get out of it or say no.

Interesting...

Yes, I will be interacting with them. Yes, I will have to help train them. No, I won't be able to get out of it or say no.

Ahh-- but you can say "yes" soooooooo slowly.

I hate to crash this pity party, but after fifteen years you can't honestly believe there's anyone standing in your way but you can you?

Thanks Steve

If the position has not been open for 15 years, and they decide to hire from in house, I think it might be a bit more than me standing in the way....

But what do I know....I'm the one putting it out there....you're just the one talking out yer rear cause you don't have a clue about the situation.

Look Grump, I don't know anything about your situation except what you've told me since I've been on this forum and you sound a lot like a guy who used to work for me.

He constantly reminded everyone around him that he was the only one at the company who cared about quality and doing the 'right thing'; whatever I did for him was never enough, never what he 'deserved'. So when he went too far I told him life was too short to waste working with people you don't respect.

From what you've told me, you don't respect the people you work with right? Obviously they don't respect you if you're the truly the right guy for the job and they pass you over right?