Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paper Grand Master?

Thread drift for Caspian 45: If you can make it just across the state line to Indiana, just south of Terre Haute, D-Lo is putting on some fantastic local matches the third Sunday each month. Set up at eight, start at ten.

I think it's www.wvps.com, if that doesnt' work pm me or D-lo or 3QT.

TomB

Ron: You can come shoot with the KY-IN folks anytime and I doubt if anyone will accuse you of being a paper master. :rolleyes: Shoot it baby, just shoot it. Whatever is the most fun for you.

I wish I had your dilemma. There just isn't any place close to shot here in east central IL.

You're welcome to join us at AtlantaCC on Sunday (12DEC04) and at Terre Haute next Sunday (19DEC04). We're going to try to shoot through the winter at both clubs as long as the weather allows it!

Back to the topic ... I say just go for it, Ron, and let what happens happen.

Sam straightened me out. My approach was all wrong. :P As far as I am concerned the thread can be deleted. I feel kind of dumb. The answer has been right in front of me all along but I was too blind to see.

Rhino, we try to shoot through the winter too, but man there are times it's just too brutal. One thing about it, shooting in bad weather sure builds character.

Man I wish this forum was around (or at least I had known about it) back when I struggled with this dilemma. I worked hard to earn my GM card back in 1997. Although I did reshoot a number of classifers to help get there, the three 100% ones I managed were ligit (read cold 1st runs) shot on pay-your-money race day. Sadly after two years of trying too hard to live up to my classification and feeling much the "paper tiger" I petitioned USPSA to put me back among the mere mortals in Master. After reading all of your thoughts on the subject maybe my perspective would have been different.

GO FOR IT RON!!!!

PK

Ron is correct that the system is upwardly biased, but I think that it encourages practice to get those occasional M/GM scores up to frequent M/GM scores.

And if I ever make GM by being a hoper flinging SOB, I will forever introduce myself as, "John Dunn, USPSA Grandmaster, how are you?" :P

And when someone in A class kicks my butt at a major, I will kick in the unconditional positive self-regard and blow it off as a fluke :P

As has been suggested, a Super GM category may be helpful. I think Ron knows he is not a Todd Jarrett or TGO, etc., and therefore thinks he isn't a GM. But I think you could line up a boatload of "average" GMs and have them shoot the same classifiers heads up with Ron, and Ron would smoke a goodly number of them.

Heck, I feel like shooting. Haven't shot in about 6 weeks, so we'll see what I can do cold tomorrow.

Ron, I am a shooter who believes in all or nothing. I am giong for GM i used to worry about what people thought of me.

since i have came to realize there are a lot of different types of shooters. you have some people who simply CAN'T shoot on the move great. but take out that part of shooting they can stand and shoot with anyone on earth.

Practice regimine, Steve Anderson he shot what classifiers were coming up, nothing special just to make GM. practiced skills for all of them.. he made GM but then had to learn stage doping.. now that is catching up to his classification.

Me, i can shoot fast but now i'm learning how to see faster and get the hits.

Even at GM there are many levels of development and maturity. so what if you make the card people who complain about grandbaggers are usually jealous lesser talented shooters.

Glad you put that comma in there Dave. :D

:D I didn't think about it like that, but so am I. Kinda show how important that little piece of punctuation is. A simple comma could change the whole tune of a movie like Kill Bill.

Well, I crashed and burned big time. Too much mental garbage and some other stuff in the way. I managed to shoot the worst match in the last few years. Zeroed two stages (really a zero hit factor), shot like trash on the third, and so-so on the fourth. Total failure and most of it self induced. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Time to take a break and get my mental poop in a group.

Shoot the damned gun, Ron. You got your five M's the hard way. You'll earn your five GM's the same way. Just shoot. No one with a grain of credibility will say any different.

I posted the above without seeing the rest of the thread. Go out and practice. Retraining your body to work the way you want it to is a long, hard, slow process. Keep working at it, but don't hurt yourself while you do it. A Physical Therapist told me, "'No pain. No gain.' is an old way of thinking. It's wrong."

Liota

I didn't think to mention it before but one of the things I like about the USPSA classification system is the mathematical objectivity.

It's not like some good ole boys club where "Yeah, you been here long enough, you can have an M card, but don't ask for GM until you wash my car".

It's math, you did or did not do it. Yes the system can be abused, but it's probably the best one out there.

That being said, here's my plug for some movement classifiers to reflect our matches better.