Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.5-8 Burris

sschultz

I shoot Open and use a 2.5-10x with an offset mini-red dot sight. It's a little "long" in some opinions. Price and performance wise, I'm pleased so far. 1.5-8 could well be a better fit for most matches that I expect to shoot.

I doubt I'd use a 1.5x-8 as my only scope in Tac Optics since it doesn't have a true 1x at the wide end. But that's me being hypothetical. I hate loading a shotgun so much (and my eyes work better with dots and circles) that I went Open and haven't looked back. Hence, my opinion may not be useful unless you are shooting Open.

Michael,

Any chance you are shooting the Vortex PST with the FFP? I've been shooting the 2.5-10x mounted in a Warne scope mount. If you are using the same scope, how are you getting enough clearance to see through your mini red dot? The reason I ask is because I bought a Burris FF3 and Warne offset mount and the adjustment knobs on my scope stick out almost too much to mount the FF3 offset by the scope. Thinking I might have to put a riser or something on there.

Thanks,

Powderman81

I'm not Michael but I have a Vortex 2.5-10x44 on a Warne mount with a Burris FF3 on the offset. I run this setup for DMR matches. I rotated the scope so that my elevation knob is now my windage on the left side of the scope and the windage now handles the elevation leaving the right side of the scope clear for the FF3. Since there is very little space between the ocular and the FF3's "on" switch, I use a popsicle stick to activate. After swapping out the turrets, magic marker on the left (now windage) knob for the difference in rotation direction. Hope this helps.

You may have a point with the eye relief, however, If I am getting a proper cheekweld like I am supposed to, that shouldn't be a terrible problem. I already wear glasses which seems to effectively reduce my eye relief (don't ask me to explain) so I expect I will just have to be more diligent at getting into the proper position that I have been. One (unintended) advantage might be the short eyebox forcing the shooter to get a proper cheekweld and position every time (less ability to be out of position but still see the reticle). Allegedly I have one on the way, so we will see...

bushmeat

When you looked through the scope was it on a rifle or just in the store hand held?

I am just asking because when I first looked at one it was in a shop and I held it and thought the same as you but after getting one on my rifle I am really happy with the eye box! its not as good as the Vortex Razor but its better then a lot of other scopes out there.

One reason people seem to think this scope has a small eye box is cause they crank it up to 8x and compare it to another scope on 4x or 6x

All I know is that I was a lot faster with this scope in my last match then I was with my Vortex pst 1-4x The 200 shots were a lot faster and the true daylight illumination was faster on the close stuff and the really close stuff I used my offset sights so no difference there.

both me and my friend had a vortex razor to test out and he shot the last match with it and decided to get the Burris rather then the Razor.

I was really planning on spending up to $2,500 on an optic but ended up with this scope and truly love it. I have been shooting out to 600 yards and can watch the bullet splash off the steel!

Does anyone have any feed back on the reticle. I have a vortex II 1-6 and its a great scope. I would like a reticle with slightly more details and some kind of a BDC. I am highly considering pulling the trigger on a Leup VX6 but the Bushnell 1-8 has caught my attention too.

If you need 8x to be successful then get it. Seconds are lost close range with the rifle, minutes are lost long range with the rifle. Practice with it up close shooting fast and you'll be OK, not crushing it, but you'll be OK.

When I started this thread I was concerned about the 1.5 power for short range work but I think Moltke hit the nail on the head I need the 8 power for my older eyes. I just needed somebody with some time behind scope before I pulled the plug.

Thanks

Schultz

I ran my first match with this optic and It worked really well. There were no long shots 60 yards was the max. I used my offset irons on anything 25 yards or closer and the optic on anything further. just like I used to with my tac30. I really liked the daylight bright reticle and I have nothing but good things to say about this optic.

bushmeat

When you looked through the scope was it on a rifle or just in the store hand held?

I am just asking because when I first looked at one it was in a shop and I held it and thought the same as you but after getting one on my rifle I am really happy with the eye box! its not as good as the Vortex Razor but its better then a lot of other scopes out there.

One reason people seem to think this scope has a small eye box is cause they crank it up to 8x and compare it to another scope on 4x or 6x

All I know is that I was a lot faster with this scope in my last match then I was with my Vortex pst 1-4x The 200 shots were a lot faster and the true daylight illumination was faster on the close stuff and the really close stuff I used my offset sights so no difference there.

both me and my friend had a vortex razor to test out and he shot the last match with it and decided to get the Burris rather then the Razor.

I was really planning on spending up to $2,500 on an optic but ended up with this scope and truly love it. I have been shooting out to 600 yards and can watch the bullet splash off the steel!

Sorry, for late reply. It was mounted on a rifle. It's an excellent scope if your matches are regularly past 300 yards and you don't ever run stages with funky shooting positions like reverse rollover prone. Try it out shooting from the lowest port of a VTAC at 200 yards. If you have such a great spot weld that you never get the black tunnel effect, then you're golden.

Sorry, for late reply. It was mounted on a rifle. It's an excellent scope if your matches are regularly past 300 yards and you don't ever run stages with funky shooting positions like reverse rollover prone. Try it out shooting from the lowest port of a VTAC at 200 yards. If you have such a great spot weld that you never get the black tunnel effect, then you're golden.

So true

You'll need to practice with it so you already know what you need to do & see while shooting close in and at less than ideal positions. 3 Gun rifle shooting is speed shooting up close, some offhand shooting from 50-100 yards on generous targets, and long range rifle shooting that is only demanding when they force strange positions. If you can learn what you need to do and see in each of those situations then you should be reasonably successful with this optic even if its not "the standard"

And by "see" I mean see what you need to see in your sights to make a hit

Edited by Moltke

I find it interesting that they used two reticles... The advantage is pretty neat but it also makes the scope more expensive and results in having imperfections from two rather than one one glass surfaces show up directly in the image.

Haven't shot mine yet but you're on to something here. I was expecting the horseshoe part to remain black when power is off (like the Meopta) but that's not the case. So as you change magnification for distance target to up close, better remember to turn the illumination on otherwise you get no real reference for POA/POI since the rest of the reticle is in FFP and hard to see at 1.5x.

It is certainly NOT the holy grail of 3-gun optic