Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Bullet is everyone running in the AR ?

kevinm

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for anyone shooting both 55's and 75's/77's. What kind of POI shift do you experience?

This seems to be dependent on individual barrel harmonics. My 20" Lothar Walther barrel puts 77 SMK's and 55 Hornady FMJ's about 3 inches apart at 300 yards, with it sighted with the Sierra's. My White Oak SPR 18" puts the same combination about 8" apart. Only time on the range, at distance can tell you what Your rifle does.

Hornady 55 FMJs for 0-100 or 200 depending on how I feel, and 77s SMKs past that.

I ran 1k of the Xtreme FMJs and then bought a case of the hornady bullets for 83 per K. The xtreme bullets worked great, I didn't do a bunch or load testing between the xtreme and hornady, but i believe my POI changed about .5-1" at 100. It grouping was very close to the same just shifted POI around a bit.

for anyone shooting both 55's and 75's/77's. What kind of POI shift do you experience?

This seems to be dependent on individual barrel harmonics. My 20" Lothar Walther barrel puts 77 SMK's and 55 Hornady FMJ's about 3 inches apart at 300 yards, with it sighted with the Sierra's. My White Oak SPR 18" puts the same combination about 8" apart. Only time on the range, at distance can tell you what Your rifle does.

Thanks, I just started loading hornady 75's and have about a 3" delta at 100 yards. Still working on it however, and its damn cold outside which isnt helping.

For all targets under 100 yds, I use 52 gr bullets

For 100 to 200 yd targets I load 55 gr bullets

200 out to 300 I use 68gr and 300 to 400 I switch to 69gr SMKs

400 and out are 77gr.

It might seem like a lot of different loads and at time figuring out what order to put them in the mags can be a bit of a task but so far it has worked well.

I've also tried loading up mags with just one weight and then changing mags based on the target distance but found it was better just to plan the CoF and load one mag.

Currently using Hornady 55 FMJ; though currently shooting nothing longer than 200 yards.

​Thanks for the advice on 69SMK's, will have to load a few of those up for any future long stuff. Wind is hell on impact point so the 69ers will help!

Currently.....all reloads.

Up to 100 yds= 62 fmj PP junk. Had problems w 55 NBTs and 55 V-max blowing up downrange on one of my barrels.

Beyond 100 yds= 70 berger VLD.

May change as availability changes.

Previous loads included 69 smk and 69 nos cc.

Other test loads are 68 and 75 horn hpbts. They did well but not my bullets.

Nick

I run 55 PMC Bronze on anything paper. I run Hornady 75 BTHP on any steel or stages with steel at distance and paper.

My 75 loads with 23.9 gr of Varget shoot ~1" at 200 with my JP. I shot a 5 3/8" 7 shot group (that's how many were left in my mag) at 500 with it prior to FB3G last year.

I have 2 different zeros for the different ammo. A 100 yard zero for the 55 grain ball and a 200 yard zero for the 77 grain match stuff. I just dial it in before a long stage where I am going to be using the match ammo. Its not hard to remember.

Pat

I'm within driving distance of Sierra's outlet store, so I run all 69gr SMK pills. Even if I had wanted 55gr FMJ at the time, it was consistently out of stock there.

69gr blems have worked perfect out to 500 and hit my practice steel at 600 without issue.

I am too stupid to have more than 1 kind of rifle ammo, I have a hard enough time remembering to fill my mags let alone what to fill them with. I use 55 ballistic tips for everything.

This! My JP hates heavy boolets. I run 55 fmj for the close shit and 55 NBT for everything else.

I am too stupid to have more than 1 kind of rifle ammo, I have a hard enough time remembering to fill my mags let alone what to fill them with. I use 55 ballistic tips for everything.

This! My JP hates heavy boolets. I run 55 fmj for the close shit and 55 NBT for everything else.

Thats weird my JP and my friends JP shoots heavies great. If you want to try this load sometime.

77 grain Nosler or Sierra

22 grains of N135

CCI Benchrest Primer

Lake city brass. Outshoots all other loads in my JP and all my other rifles plus it bucks wind far better than the light pills and hits Larues twice as hard at 500 yards.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

My JP hates the 75's. Have not tried the 77's yet. Now the 69's it loves.

I have not found the 75's to work for me in any gun. 77's run great as do 69's and 68's. Its funny because Hornady bullets in all other weights are some of the best I have tried but I have had no luck with the 75's.

Pat

My JP hates the 75's. Have not tried the 77's yet. Now the 69's it loves.

I have not found the 75's to work for me in any gun. 77's run great as do 69's and 68's. Its funny because Hornady bullets in all other weights are some of the best I have tried but I have had no luck with the 75's.

Pat

My 16" 1 in 7 guns love the 75's. I've got a 16" noveske middy Reece and a 16" BCM midlength and they both love the hornady 75's. They are the reason I tried the 75's in my JP when I got it.

55 FMJ @ 2300FPS inside 200 yards.

Much slower than I would have tried. What powder are you using?

Thanks.

Bill

This got me to thinking (a monumental task) and I wondered if I decreased my 55gr FMJ loads a bit, just how close can I get the trajectory to match my planned 77 gr loads. I'm using the JBM Ballistic program.

Compared Hornady 55gr FMJ/BT at 2900 fps to Nosler 77gr CC HPBT at 2750 fps.

With a 100 yard zero (I run a Burris MTAC) the drop in MOA are off by only 0.1 MOA at 200 yards between the two loads. I do not plan on shooting the FMJs past 200 yards but its interesting to notice that the drop between the two remain close all the way to 500 yards.

Have not been to the range to test this.

Interesting and useful stuff or am I overlooking something?

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

What velocity are you guys getting out of the 77's? In playing with JBM it looks like unless you are getting 2900 fps from them you are better with a 55 BT out to 400. Other than the longest shot at RM3G how often are you guys seeing targets past 350 anyway? Don't matter to me what people shoot, but the 55 ballistic tips and the 52 CC's sure do shoot well and flat in my guns.