Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Bullet is everyone running in the AR ?

kevinm

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same same. I use Hornady 55gr fmj out to 600yds and I usually bring a box of 69gr. To be honest the 55gr are good enough that I don't really see much difference in practical accuracy, but 69's rock the steel harder and I get my hits called more consistently. So when it really counts, I run the 69's just on the distance courses.

I've run 68, 75 and 77. Currently running 77 gr from Freedom Munitions for the long range stuff. Ran for the first time in a match last weekend and had two first round hits at 420 with them. Can't ask for better than that. I also used them on the MGM spinner they had. Saved a lot of time over a couple guys who burned 30 rounds at it and didn't spin it.

So does anyone knows if the hornady , Winchester, rem FMJ are ok then ? thanks

Probably. I would always check ammo with a magnet before shipping it or leaving for a big match. They are supposed to be nonmagnetic bullets. I know more than one competitor who has had ammo that one case didn't stick, and the next case did. Better to take a few minutes and check than get DQ'd from a big match.

I've run 68, 75 and 77. Currently running 77 gr from Freedom Munitions for the long range stuff. Ran for the first time in a match last weekend and had two first round hits at 420 with them. Can't ask for better than that. I also used them on the MGM spinner they had. Saved a lot of time over a couple guys who burned 30 rounds at it and didn't spin it.

Chuck, have you tried their 55gr FMJ remanufactured ammo? How is the accuracy?

They are just a short drive for me and based on price, those rounds are not much more than it costs me to reload.

If I ever catch it in stock, I'll give it a try.

Bill

One of the local ranges here doesn't allow FMJs. It's just a target range - no competitions - so I asked "why don't you use a magnet to check for steel in the bullets" and was told that was just the way it was, per the owner.

One of the local ranges here doesn't allow FMJs. It's just a target range - no competitions - so I asked "why don't you use a magnet to check for steel in the bullets" and was told that was just the way it was, per the owner.

That's strange. You would think it wouldn't matter what you're punching paper with

Does anyone run the 75gr? I've had good accuracy out of them but have had trouble finding any in loaded ammo. Also, had anyone tried xtreme's 55 grain fmj? They seem reasonable price wise

I use 55gr up close and 75gr Hornadys farther out. Used to use 69gr Sierras before the 75's. Best of both worlds, cheap stuff for up close and practice, and expensive stuff for distance. I'm sure I would do fine with the 55's out far, on a calm day. But the numbers don't lie, the heavier bullets resist the wind better. And less thinking on the clock trying to compensate for the wind is huge to me.

Hornady 55 FMJ out to 200 yards, Nolser 55 Ballistic Tips to Rocky Mountain distances (out to 560 yards last year)

Do you keep the same powder drop as well between the two?

Also, for those running 55's, do you up your powder for distance loads or just keep it the same?

The BC and velocity differences of the XM193 and 69 gr SMK are very close on the ballistic chart and at the range.

Same is true for my Hornandy 53 and 75.

Of course the scope is a Swaro---changing bullet weights i still use the same lines in the scope.