Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp cleaning - Dremel Brass Brush?

JPG

I know this topic has been brought up ad nauseam, but I wanted to ask those who use Dremels to clean their comps if you've ever used the brass brush attachment. Maybe more specifically, why "shouldn't" I use the brass brush?

To me, using the ball engraving tip can be a recipe for disaster as you can cut away some serious metal if you do it wrong. Since bore brushes are also made of brass, wouldn't the dremel brass brush be safer?

Thoughts?

I have no experience in cleaning comps but I have many hours of mold polishing under my belt. Brass is softer than steel but with the high speed of a Dremel, the stiffer nature of brass and the abrasives that might be in the soot left behind from burned powder all increase the chance of accelerated wear or at least change of the surface finish or loss of a coating on the comp. It would be better to use a soft nylon brush in a Dremel that has a speed adjustment Turn the speed all the way down to start. Try not to use a lot of pressure or linger too long in one spot especially in corners.The brass from the brush can also be deposited on the surface especially if higher speeds and pressure are used.

Again, I do not have specific experience on comps but these are the practices I have used.

How about sonic cleaning comps?

You have to be careful to not loosen any loctite that will be on the comp threads. I try to not get too carried away with any solvents near the end of the barrel.

The cleanest I have seen a comp is after glass bead blasting.

Are you guys talking about cleaning the inside of the comp like inside of the chambers or just the outside? I have a 4 port that i bought used and it's leaded up pretty bad. Wasn't sure the best way to go about cleaning inside there. I might try the brass attachment on my dremel though.

Are you guys talking about cleaning the inside of the comp like inside of the chambers or just the outside?

I'm talking about cleaning the inside of the comp chambers. I've read on different threads that keeping the comp chambers 'unfouled' is a good thing - helps keep the comp running optimally.

I've used the nylon brush on medium speeds and have had good results. There is still a little caking of powder/lead/whatever it is. I think I want to try that slip2000 before the brass brush. Let you know what happens.

You have to be careful to not loosen any loctite that will be on the comp threads. I try to not get too carried away with any solvents near the end of the barrel.

Has anyone had success with this. My sonic cleaner turned up this week and I haven't used it yet. I only have the brass cleaning solution so I was thinking about trying it using just water. Would it work ok with barells too?

Try the Dillon case lube trick. It really does help

What's the trick?

Just carry a tiny, tiny spray bottle in your range bag. Before shooting spray a shot right into the ports on the comp. It basically just keeps carbon, filth and muck from sticking as bad. Makes it easier to clean.

Has anyone had success with this. My sonic cleaner turned up this week and I haven't used it yet. I only have the brass cleaning solution so I was thinking about trying it using just water. Would it work ok with barells too?

I use a sonic cleaner with 50/50 water and simple green. Works great

I use the brass brush in a Dremel Tool. Use slow speed and the comp cleans up just fine. I do this once a year in the off season. Just don't get carried away with the speed & pressure. To date no problems. Prior to shooting, I apply some Dillion Case Lube and it seems to keep buildup soft. I clean my guns after every time out shooting.

• 1 month later...

I drop my barrel (trubor) slide and any other part that needs cleaning in a one gallon carburetor? throttle body dip. you can get It at any parts store. comes out shiny as a baby's bottom. dremmel out the lead with a small cone rasp, spray down with brake cleaner, lube and shoot. repeat. yes, I'm a auto technician.. no, the rasp will not cut the comp, it's not hard enough.

Drop it into an ultrasonic cleaner for the powder residue. Then soak in sea foam (automotive) will get rid of all carbon deposit. Then leave it in mercury (extreme caution) which reacts with lead and chemically removes ALL lead. No brushing, like new after this process!

I know this topic has been brought up ad nauseam, but I wanted to ask those who use Dremels to clean their comps if you've ever used the brass brush attachment. Maybe more specifically, why "shouldn't" I use the brass brush?

To me, using the ball engraving tip can be a recipe for disaster as you can cut away some serious metal if you do it wrong. Since bore brushes are also made of brass, wouldn't the dremel brass brush be safer?

Thoughts?

I'v been using the steel brush for years rather than the brass, they are hard to find so I order them on the net and buy 5-10 at a time. I would stay very far away from engraving tip.