Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clipped Ammo Won't Load

ede

Loaded moons for this weekends match and checked them in my 627 VComp and they pretty much fell in. Tried my 627 PC and they wouldn't go in, about 1/4" of the case at best would fit then it'd bind up. Tried them in my 327 and they fell in like the VComp. What would be a good thing to look at or look for? Single rounds load just fine. I have around 40 clips loaded I tried with nearly all giving me the same results.

If it works in the other models, it would seem the issue is in the 627 Pro. But it is only a guess with nothing more to go on

My brother bought a V-Comp 627 new maybe 4-5 years ago with the same sort of story, Moonclipped rounds would not go in about 50% of the time but individual rounds did. Sent it back to the factory, it was returned with the problem solved but no explanation was given to the nature of the problem or the solution.

He said it loads single rounds just fine. Almost has to be the holes out of spec.

Why I said back to basics, just because it was sold as being cut for moon clips doesn't make it so.

Does it work with the factory moon clips it came with?

Reloaded ammo?...(slight almost unnoticeable bulge about 3/8" from the bottom of the case? or .358 lead bullet with just a slight crimp?)...OR I have learned that ya gotta have good moon clips... some won't work in one gun but will in another?.. (cyl)?.

Seems like it would be the cylinder out of spec, if it's not the ammo or moon clips?... I'm down to using one brand of brass and the moon clips were specified for that brass. The ONLY problem I'm having now is that I "miss" a lot?.... (I'm blaming the, the, the, trigger puller).

What brand brass are you using? mine prefers RP and Starline but will not chamber Winchester while my brothers loads teh winchester just fine. I have also found that one in a while the undercut behind the rim is too tight and will not allow the case to fit in all the way. You should be able to twist/rotate each round after the moon clip is fully loaded if not remove the tight one a load another cartridge, this should help.

Depends on the brand of moon clip. Mixed brass works fine with no moon clips or in a stock moon clip, I'm sure there are other brands also.

You can mix it up with some of the others depending.

Hearthco makes high quality, TIGHTLY Toleranced moon clips spec'd for a particular brand of case. Most go with Starline and those moon clips will not work with anything but Starline brass. I'm sure he can also make a looser version that would work with more brands, Starline seems real dependable on their tolerances, why they have become popular.

I called S&W today and they want me to send it back. I'll look it over tonite, clean it again and see if anything changes, if not I'll call S&W again and get a shipping label and let them sort it out.

Mixed brass will not work in the 627s.

Absolutely NOT true, .. at all.

Mixed brass works just fine in all of my 8 shooters.

I agree! I have all sorts of brass from Cowboy matches that work fine in my M&P 327 and 627 PC.

I did figure out one or two chambers were the problem. Loaded two rounds in a clip and identified the two chambers that don't work. Soon as I get my shipping label it'll go back and I bet return with a new cylinder.