Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this legal in production

stickboy44

17.3 Aftermarket grip panels which match the profile and contours of the OFM standard or optional grip

panels for the approved handgun and/or the application of tape on grips (see Appendix E3) are permitted.

However, rubber sleeves are prohibited.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we say that the profile cannot change, then how do we go about policing it? The CZ Custom web site lists at least 4 different profile grips (not different textures, different profiles.) There are other's out there making grips for the CZ. As an RO, how do I know which profiles are approved? Do they have to be on a gun on the list to be legal? How do I know which grips come on which guns?

Not easy to police = legal?

and why would they ask if they made weight?

Production guns cannot weigh more than 2 Oz (Edited: originally typed in 1 Oz) over the manufacturer's listed weight. If you put bigger grips on the gun, it may put it over the allowable weight. Edited by racerba

Okay, how do Production legal polymer guns with factory sets of grip pieces fall into this rule? Wasn't that a selling point of some of them, that you could change out backstraps, etc to modify the gun to you? Or is it one of those "its factory so its allowed now be quiet" questions?

Okay, how do Production legal polymer guns with factory sets of grip pieces fall into this rule? Wasn't that a selling point of some of them, that you could change out backstraps, etc to modify the gun to you? Or is it one of those "its factory so its allowed now be quiet" questions?

Don't know if they use the heaviest stock grip weight or not. That would be a question to the NROI as to how they determine the weight of a particular gun. I know there is a list of guns and it's allowable weight...I don't know where they get the weights from though. I know those backstraps are not enough to put it over the weight.

If we say that the profile cannot change, then how do we go about policing it? The CZ Custom web site lists at least 4 different profile grips (not different textures, different profiles.) There are other's out there making grips for the CZ. As an RO, how do I know which profiles are approved? Do they have to be on a gun on the list to be legal? How do I know which grips come on which guns?

Not easy to police = legal?

I guess it depends on the context.

Here on the internet, I would say "no."

At a match, the difference between a rule that is unenforced (for whatever reason) and a rule that doesn't exist is negligible.

Don't know if they use the heaviest stock grip weight or not. That would be a question to the NROI as to how they determine the weight of a particular gun. I know there is a list of guns and it's allowable weight...I don't know where they get the weights from though. I know those backstraps are not enough to put it over the weight.

I'm pretty sure the manufacturer supplies USPSA with the weight.

I am well aware what the rule on grips states.....but if there is 10 or more different styles and thickness of grips out there that people are using

So why couldn't you have someone make you custom grips as long as the gun fits in the box

Weight....2oz over listed weight...

In speaking with someone who knows more about the rules than I (being they are on the Rules Committee) he said it wasn't crystal clear either. The basic understanding that I came away with was; if it is a manufactured grip panel (which was what the OP was asking to do), it is ok if it meets the other criteria and wasn't stupid. If it was a manufactured panel that was ground on or material added to, not ok. He also said it would likely need a clarification if people start doing crazy things.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

So its OK for me to take a piece of aluminum or micarta, and make a grip panel in any shape I want, but it's not OK for me to take a factory grip panel and modify it?

Channeling a mid-70s cinematic masterpiece:

"It's Production, Scott!" :D

I will need some help with that reference.

I botched the quote....

If I'd said "Forget it Scott, it's production....." would that have made it easier?

If it didn't, it's the concluding line of the Robert Town scripted movie Chinatown.....

In speaking with someone who knows more about the rules than I (being they are on the Rules Committee) he said it wasn't crystal clear either. The basic understanding that I came away with was; if it is a manufactured grip panel (which was what the OP was asking to do), it is ok if it meets the other criteria and wasn't stupid. If it was a manufactured panel that was ground on or material added to, not ok. He also said it would likely need a clarification if people start doing crazy things.

Hence my comment of "Sort of." Right now it's really up to the RM to decide if the topic comes up.....

Fortunately I haven't had to make that call.....

As to Flex's comment "Hard to enforce = legal? No, of course not. I'd argue that Hard to enforce = higher probability of erroneous calls being made. And those calls could go either way -- favor the shooter, or favor his competitors......

Thinking about how difficult a particular requirement is to enforce should be a critical component of the rules making process.....

So that I am clear with what some are saying...........You can change grip panels but the panels you use to replace the stock ones must be the same as the stock ones? Are we really saying that is what the rule says?

So that I am clear with what some are saying...........You can change grip panels but the panels you use to replace the stock ones must be the same as the stock ones? Are we really saying that is what the rule says?

Same profile anyway.....

and the gun still needs to fit in the box, and make weight....

Hence my comment of "Sort of." Right now it's really up to the RM to decide if the topic comes up.....

Fortunately I haven't had to make that call.....

As to Flex's comment "Hard to enforce = legal? No, of course not. I'd argue that Hard to enforce = higher probability of erroneous calls being made. And those calls could go either way -- favor the shooter, or favor his competitors......

Thinking about how difficult a particular requirement is to enforce should be a critical component of the rules making process.....

Nik,your comment about rules enforcement is the best I have ever heard!!! I agree 100 percent. Rule book would be much thinner.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

How is this interpreted when the factory makes two different grip profiles for the same gun? Sig has models on the Production list that can be purchased with either standard-profile or E2-profile grips. The primary difference is a deeper dish under the beavertail to allow a better fit for people with smaller hands. Could someone replace their factory standard grips with factory E2 grips? Would this be considered similar to someone replacing the backstrap on their M&P/XD/Glock?

I'd post comparison pics, but everytime I try to post a picture, it locks up the window.

How is this interpreted when the factory makes two different grip profiles for the same gun? Sig has models on the Production list that can be purchased with either standard-profile or E2-profile grips. The primary difference is a deeper dish under the beavertail to allow a better fit for people with smaller hands. Could someone replace their factory standard grips with factory E2 grips? Would this be considered similar to someone replacing the backstrap on their M&P/XD/Glock?

I'd post comparison pics, but everytime I try to post a picture, it locks up the window.

There isn't anything in the rules that says the factory has to make the grip panel.

There isn't anything in the rules that says the factory has to make the grip panel.

Sorry, I overemphasized the "factory" part. I more concerned with the fact that the E2 grips change the profile, but they change it to a profile that is available on most models from the factory.