Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubing pistol cases

67camaro

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has their favorite method. Here is mine. From the drug store get a tube of pure lanolin ( in the baby section for breast feeding mothers). Squeeze a small amount about the size of the eraser on a lead pencil or slightly more into your palm. Rub hands together quickly to warm it up and spread it over both hands. Grab a handful of pistol brass and roll it between your hands. Grab another handful and repeat. After about ten handfuls add a little more lanolin. You will learn how to get the right amount on the brass to aid sizing but not so much that you feel like you need to tumble the loaded rounds. I just leave the light coat on the brass. This goes quick. You can lube 1000 rounds in a very short time.

The other lubes are ok but they are sticky. Hornady One Shot is convenient, not sticky and does not have to be tumbled off. I loaded for many years without it, but once I used it I would not like to load without it anymore. I read somewhere someone had tried using Pledge. I suppose some wax based furniture polish could work if there was no ammonia in it (ammonia degrades brass) but I never tried any. Has anyone used furniture wax?

I did a little test last night I took 50 .40 S&W cases and ran them through the resizing die without any lube. I then took 50 more that I had lubed using Frankford Arsenal's lube. There was a WORLD of difference. The lubed cases were so much easier to run through the die. I'll be using lube from now on that's for sure.

I loaded 40K on my 650 before I tried lube. Frankfort Arsenal had their lube on sale---$2 a can. I bought 3 cans. I've probably loaded 80K since, all with lube. And I'm still only on my 3rd can. Once you try it, as above, you realize how much easier the press is to run. Much less jerking and vibration, which can tip primers, spill powder....etc.

I lube .45 ACP and .38 Special when reloading on my XL650 with Hornady One Shot. Using the lube eliminates "jerkiness" in the reload process during resizing. The benefit to quality, safety and economy being no flipped primers, or crushed brass from the brass somehow popping out of alignment under the resize die. I don't remove the One Shot, and have not seen any adverse consequences.

On my Lee Turret press, I don't bother with lubing for straight-walled handgun calibers, as there is no issue with a "jerky" resizing process disrupting something else going on a the same time, as there is with a progressive press. I do use lube for resizing funky bottleneck handgun calibers like 32-20, even on the Lee.

Edited by johnmac

I did a little test last night I took 50 .40 S&W cases and ran them through the resizing die without any lube. I then took 50 more that I had lubed using Frankford Arsenal's lube. There was a WORLD of difference. The lubed cases were so much easier to run through the die. I'll be using lube from now on that's for sure.

Well, I guess now you are going to have to join a gym. LOL!

The other lubes are ok but they are sticky. Hornady One Shot is convenient, not sticky and does not have to be tumbled off. I loaded for many years without it, but once I used it I would not like to load without it anymore. I read somewhere someone had tried using Pledge. I suppose some wax based furniture polish could work if there was no ammonia in it (ammonia degrades brass) but I never tried any. Has anyone used furniture wax?

Yep tried Pledge..... Just a half second blast above a plastic bucket with about 500 9mm's in it , let the spray settle and then mix 'em up with your hand. Tip the cases into the case feeder and you are good to go. The only reason I went with the Dillon stuff was so I could use it on my compensators.

I'm probably in the minority. I prefer the Dillon lube (lanolin with isopropyl alcohol) over Hornady's One Shot, for 9mm and .40 S&W - the cases feel better lubricated with the Dillon lube. The only bad thing about the Dillon lube is the smell. Like many, I tumble the loaded rounds in corncob for 20-30 minutes with a bit of white spirits added to get the lube off.

Yep tried Pledge..... Just a half second blast above a plastic bucket with about 500 9mm's in it , let the spray settle and then mix 'em up with your hand. Tip the cases into the case feeder and you are good to go. The only reason I went with the Dillon stuff was so I could use it on my compensators.

Wait... you lube your compensators? With case lube??? Doesn't it burn off anyway? Granted I don't own a compensated gun, but I never knew you had to lube a compensator.

Wait... you lube your compensators? With case lube??? Doesn't it burn off anyway? Granted I don't own a compensated gun, but I never knew you had to lube a compensator.
lolol you don't gave to lube a comp! Spraying Dillon lube into the ports makes the carbon come right off when cleaning

Is lube that expensive that it adds significant cost or do you guys making it up at home do it because you are do-it-yourselfers?

one shot is less than 10 bucks and lasts me at least a year. Making case lube sounds like a hobby. :)

No hobby for me.....While keeping it high quality, I try and get my ammo down to a price as low as possible to make it affordable for the common man to shoot.

At 4-8 thousand rounds a day every little thing adds up and it adds up quickly.

It takes so little effort to make up almost a gallon and 1/4 the price of buying it commercially.

You are a commercial reloader. Most of the folks on here reload their own for their own use.

I spent $6 on 3 cans of lube 5 years ago. I'm still on the last can.

Right...That's the point I was making...sorry if it didn't come across that way...Just trying to share a tip to cut down on expenses for those that wanted to.

$6 is almost a whole six-pack of beer. you could drink that six-pack and make up enough lube to last you 25 years.

Just saying.

Edited by bajadudes

lolol you don't gave to lube a comp! Spraying Dillon lube into the ports makes the carbon come right off when cleaning

Oh... phew! I had visions of you at the line, lube dripping from your compensator as you were preparing to "load and make ready"... the RO gingerly trying to avoid the puddle of the stuff at your feet as you took off when the buzzer sounded. OK... it's a CLEANING thing, not a shooting thing... got it! I am still trying to erase the cartoon I had in my head of you talking to one of your buddies while showing him the Zurk fitting attached to your comp and explaining "yeah... these MG 124s sure go a lot faster now that I can inject axle grease directly into my compensator!". I'll go to bed now.

Edited by Justsomeguy

Nice! Another convert

Add 1 more! Thank you to the O.P. and all the other posters! I never tried this until now, but thought it wise while loading nickle cases. As said before, A world of difference!! BTW, 1 shot, no tumbling. Thanks again...