Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubing pistol cases

67camaro

I use the Dillon lube for every caliber, makes the 650 run smoother. And I used to tumble the rounds after to remove the remaining lube but then one day I stopped and haven't experienced any issues so that saves some time!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used many different lubes but like many have settled on One shot because it is not as sticky as some of the others. I like Dillon for large rifle cases though. I am very interested in making a batch of the lanolin and alcohol mix. Great idea and I agree that keeping the price as low as possible is a great way to squeak out a few more rounds.

Finally got my 99% alcohol and liquid lanolin in the mail from Amazon yesterday, mixed up a batch and definitely made loading a lot smoother and somehow those COAL variances I have went from about +/- .03 to roughly +/- .01. Thanks again for all your replies!

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Dillon lube for every caliber, makes the 650 run smoother. And I used to tumble the rounds after to remove the remaining lube but then one day I stopped and haven't experienced any issues so that saves some time!

My bullets get kind of sticky if I don't tumble mine. I never tried not tumbling. I figured sticky rounds was a bad thing.

My concern with case lubes has always been load contamination.

Have any of you chrono'd a load without case lube and then chrono'd the same load with "One Shot" case load? Are they the same?

Do you go to any extent to avoid spraying "One Shot" into the case mouth? I was thinking about positioning all the brass on its mouth so no case lube could get inside.

I've never used case lube loading 9mm on my 1050, but begining to consider it...

My concern with case lubes has always been load contamination.

Have any of you chrono'd a load without case lube and then chrono'd the same load with "One Shot" case load? Are they the same?

No but that's in interesting idea. I did learn a valuable lesson about Frankford Arsenal lube today. I was having trouble getting the bullets to seat properly in the .45 ACP brass I was loading that I had lubed with their lube. I noticed that even though I had run the cartridges through the crimp die that the bullet would slide down in the case. So I finally took time to read the directions on the bottle and found a couple of interesting items:

1 - It recommends lubing the cases with the mouth facing up so that the lube goes into the case. I had thought you wanted the lube on the outside of the case.

2 - After resizing you're supposed to either wipe down the cases or tumble them. So I got to spend some quality time with the bullet puller this afternoon and have tumbled the brass I had previously sprayed with the case lube. Tomorrow I'm going to try and load them again and see what happens now that they've been tumbled to remove the lube.

I'm curious if any other manufacturers recommend tumbling the cases after they've been resized?

Lube will not cause a bullet to slide down into a case. A sizing die that is out of adjustment sounds more like it. The only time I can push a bullet in and out of a case is before it gets sized.

No one mentioned it but I use Roger's Magic Dust from King Shooting Supply. It really keeps the powder die from sticking and can go quite a bit faster with my 550. I just shoot a couple blast into container of my prepped brass and roll it around. Dont need very much I have had the same bottle for 2 years and can barely tell I have used any. Here is the link

http://www.kingshooters.com/magic-dust-p-25767.html

Lube will not cause a bullet to slide down into a case. A sizing die that is out of adjustment sounds more like it. The only time I can push a bullet in and out of a case is before it gets sized.

I had considered that, Sarge, but it's hit or miss. One case would allow the bullet to slide down and the next wouldn't. Now that I've tumbled them I'm going to divide the cases into two groups. The first group I'll try reloading as is and the second group I'll try resizing and then reloading and see what happens.

Consider the fact that if you load lead bullets, you've got a lot of lube in the bullet area of the case after loading. I load a lot of lead bullets and have no problem with them being able to be pushed into case. I am a great believer in having everything set up to give the "wasp waist" effect on the finished round.

I agree... If your 9mm rounds don't have a "wasp waist" you're probably doing something wrong :)

A little lube shouldn't affect the bullet pushing back into the case... it might have a marginal effect on how the bullet exits the case, but probably not anything I could measure.

Edited by razorfish