Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Review of Nordic 18 inch Barrel build.

Nordicbuild_zpsdde4adb0.jpg

Targets1_zps75be51bc.jpg

This is my black friday cyber monday rifle build.

I took it out shooting today and was thrilled. It weighs just a touch more than my JP build due to the scope and the heavier barrel. However the AP customs foreend saved a lot of weight so the two rifles are almost identical in weight. No malfunctions at all today. Out of six 5 shot groups fired my 55 grain Hornady FMJ reloads averaged 1.89 moa. My 77 grain SMK match reloads averaged .82 moa out of four 5 shot groups fired. The rifle was flat and a joy to shoot. I highly recommend the Nordic barrel it was a steal for the performance you get. I set it up with a JP low mass system as Marco recommends. Also love the AP customs carbon fiber forend.

Not counting optics just the rifle.

Lower with trigger from JP $340
MOE stock kit $85
MOE pistol grip $18
Winter trigger guard $7
lower parts kit minus trigger guard $25
Aero upper from Primary arms $70
ejection port cover $ 12
Forward assist plug $6
AP Customs 15 inch carbon fiber foreend $140
JP low mass bolt carrier group $302
JP comp (free take off from other rifle in parts bin)
JP low mass buffer free xmas gift
Nordic Barrel $215
Bravo company charging handle won at a match (free)

Troy gas block $30

Total $1250

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have a couple of other comps I want to try before ordering up a JP. An old style Benny Hill Thundercomp and a new style Thundercomp. I'm using an SLR adjustable gas block and will eventually try a TacCom Ultra Light recoil system.

Pat

I have a couple of other comps I want to try before ordering up a JP. An old style Benny Hill Thundercomp and a new style Thundercomp. I'm using an SLR adjustable gas block and will eventually try a TacCom Ultra Light recoil system.

Pat

I love the SJC titan but to save money I used the JP comp I pulled off my JP upper when I got it. No complaints on the way this rifle feels with the JP comp.

Pat

Pat,

I am in the process of my first build and looking for a barrel. I have been going back and forth between Nordic, Rainier Arms, etc... but is hard to find any in stock.

What are the specs on yours, is it rifle gas and where did you find that great price?

Thanks,

Chaun

Pat,

I am in the process of my first build and looking for a barrel. I have been going back and forth between Nordic, Rainier Arms, etc... but is hard to find any in stock.

What are the specs on yours, is it rifle gas and where did you find that great price?

Thanks,

Chaun

Got it from Shooters source a vender on this site. He had a 20% off sale. Its a rifle gas system 18 inches long. Marco could tell you more about it as he designed it. You can go with a regular bolt carrier but may need a lighter buffer because the gas port on this barrel is designed around a low mass system.

pat

Great review, thanks. Have you had a chance to shoot bulk factory loads like PMC or AE?

Also since you have the AP forearm could you tell me how thick the AP rails that come with it are? I was looking at picking them up because they seem thinner than others.

Edited by DDustin

Great review, thanks. Have you had a chance to shoot bulk factory loads like PMC or AE?

Also since you have the AP forearm could you tell me how thick the AP rails that come with it are? I was looking at picking them up because they seem thinner than others.

The rails seem about half the normal thickness. Have not tried any factory ammo as that stuff is pricy for me. I reload everything but the ammo I am given for my work guns. I have tested PMC before in some of my other guns when I have won some at local three guns. It did not do that well for me about 3 moa in my Noveske.

Pat

I now have two of these barrels. One on my Tac ops rifle on Seekins lower/upper and one I'm currently building on a Sun Devil upper/lower for Limited. So far, I like the barrel on my Tac Ops rifle. I can shoot both 55gr and 75gr and not have to change POI. I'm hoping for the same thing on my Limited rifle.

Carbon Arms has the Nordic barrels and their own gas block. I got the barrel and the gas block with tube attached and it all looks real good. Also trying their comp, haven't been able to yet as scope hasn't arrived.

Pat

Well that looks strangely familiar.

Here is mine that I just finished.

NC 18" Wylde

JP Gas Block (from BE classifieds)

12" Fiberglass forend (from BE classifieds)

STI upper

Miculek comp

JP Low Mas carrier (from BE classifieds)

JP captured buffer spring

JP trigger/speed hammer/oversized antiwalk pins

Vortex HD Gen II Scope on Vortex mount. (from BE classifieds)

Magpul MAD grip

MOE fixed stock with butt pad extension

I had a BAD lever on it but took it off as I read that some had troubles with LOMAS and the extra weight of the BAD when it came to locking the bolt back when empty.

I will be ordering some TACCOM +5s for my MagPul 40s and may consider a Seekins comp later.

Just had it out yesterday at a short indoor range to tune the gas with good results.

Pat

Well that looks strangely familiar.

Here is mine that I just finished.

NC 18" Wylde

JP Gas Block (from BE classifieds)

12" Fiberglass forend (from BE classifieds)

STI upper

Miculek comp

JP Low Mas carrier (from BE classifieds)

JP captured buffer spring

JP trigger/speed hammer/oversized antiwalk pins

Vortex HD Gen II Scope on Vortex mount. (from BE classifieds)

Magpul MAD grip

MOE fixed stock with butt pad extension

I had a BAD lever on it but took it off as I read that some had troubles with LOMAS and the extra weight of the BAD when it came to locking the bolt back when empty.

I will be ordering some TACCOM +5s for my MagPul 40s and may consider a Seekins comp later.

Just had it out yesterday at a short indoor range to tune the gas with good results.

Nice looking guy you have there.

Pat

I'm glad to see this review. I've been looking at re-barreling my 3 gun rifle with either the Nordic or the JP 18" barrel. I think I know which one I am going to go with now. Thanks for the write up on this Pat.

Anyone have any reports on some 69gr SMKs through it?

Nick