Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack mag pouches?

bthoefer

Safariland 771 and just bought a set of DAA Racers that I'm going to use a SS Nationals. I figure 4 months to get used to them and practice with them should be more than enough.

My only complaint with the Safariland holders is when you have to pick up and insert mags in them in a stage they seem cumbersome. So I figure I would try another brand for the Nats this year.

We'll see

jcc7x7

I use a single Revolution Blade Tech, followed by Revolution a Blade Tech quad pouch.

http://shop.blade-tech.com/revolution-single-magazine-pouch-c-38_60_63.html

http://shop.blade-tech.com/revolution-quad-magazine-pouch-c-38_60_66.html

It sounds awkward, but this way my hand goes back to the same location to pick up magazine #3 to #6 (if needed). I don't even think about which one, exterior or interior, to pick up, the first one I can grab is the one.

The single one in front is useful for all the short stages and classifiers which require only one reload. It is there by itself, no confusion whatsoever.

For the life of me, I do not understand why folks like to have magazines going back all the way to their sacrum.

Safariland 771 and just bought a set of DAA Racers that I'm going to use a SS Nationals. I figure 4 months to get used to them and practice with them should be more than enough.

My only complaint with the Safariland holders is when you have to pick up and insert mags in them in a stage they seem cumbersome. So I figure I would try another brand for the Nats this year.

We'll see

jcc7x7

jcc,

Bevel the inside edge of your 771's. Essentially, you are creating a mag well. The bevel combined with the give due to the front cut, you will have a very fast loading pouch for those annoying "all mags on x" starts.

Later,

Chuck

I'm using DAA Race Masters, Racers, and a Blade-Tech double. My setup is three of the Race Masters, two Racers, then the Blade-Tech at the small of my back.

For a normal start, I carry seven magazines to the line--five in the DAA pouches for normal reloads, the first in the Blade-Tech is my start mag, the other is my barney. I usually turn the mags in the Blade-Tech the opposite direction, so I can find them easily when I do my admin load before the beep.

If I'm starting with with an unloaded gun and have a decent distance to cover before I get to the gun, I will turn the left magazine in the Blade-Tech to face the same way as the rest of my mags and reach for that one to start the stage.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a single Revolution Blade Tech, followed by Revolution a Blade Tech quad pouch.

It sounds awkward, but this way my hand goes back to the same location to pick up magazine #3 to #6 (if needed). I don't even think about which one, exterior or interior, to pick up, the first one I can grab is the one.

The single one in front is useful for all the short stages and classifiers which require only one reload. It is there by itself, no confusion whatsoever.

For the life of me, I do not understand why folks like to have magazines going back all the way to their sacrum.

Are those quad pouches legal for Single Stack?

"Max. distance of handgun and mags/speed loaders from inner side of belt: (Handgun and Mags - 2”)". Appendix D5, 10 of the current rule book.

Are those quad pouches legal for Single Stack?

"Max. distance of handgun and mags/speed loaders from inner side of belt: (Handgun and Mags - 2)". Appendix D5, 10 of the current rule book.

The single stack model is under the 2" rule. The double stack models are a bit closer to the limit.

I use Safariland 771s. I bought it for $17 each, I think I got a pretty good deal for the quality.

Say, WHERE did you find them for that price???

Optics planet. Every now and then they change their price on a given product. I've actually purchased one 773 for $17.98 plus the 5% coupon about a month ago. Added ELS inner belt for free shipping. I check their website constantly though.

Edited by Kratos

I have Blackhawk, a set of quad pouches made my someone I don't remember, and DAA SS Racers. The Racers are by far the best of the lot. They've got a world of adjustability built in, so you can get whatever you want out of them. I carry 7 on the belt, partly because DAA sells a 7 pouch bundle. Usually I do the Barney routine, and then load the seventh mag, but sometimes it's good to have them all.

For example, if you shoot a lot of Single Stack, you'll find a direct connection forming between your feet and your mag release. Move your feet, and the mag falls out. Usually this is good, but when a course designer gets away from the 8 move 8 pattern, and puts single or double targets around, you can real quick wind up with a lot of mags laying on the ground. A few extras are nice to have.

Edited by peacemaker25

I have Blackhawk, a set of quad pouches made my someone I don't remember, and DAA SS Racers. The Racers are by far the best of the lot. They've got a world of adjustability built in, so you can get whatever you want out of them. I carry 7 on the belt, partly because DAA sells a 7 pouch bundle. Usually I do the Barney routine, and then load the seventh mag, but sometimes it's good to have them all.

For example, if you shoot a lot of Single Stack, you'll find a direct connection forming between your feet and your mag release. Move your feet, and the mag falls out. Usually this is good, but when a course designer gets away from the 8 move 8 pattern, and puts single or double targets around, you can real quick wind up with a lot of mags laying on the ground. A few extras are nice to have.

Ehh, yes and no. I've found I shoot better if I shoot deeper into the magazine and try to plan my stage with as many 6-8 round strings as possible between magazine changes. Obviously, this is dependent upon loaded vs unloaded starts and how the stage is actually laid out, but if I can shoot 6 or 7 rounds, rather than 4 or 5, it's better for my hit factor to do so.

Ehh, yes and no. I've found I shoot better if I shoot deeper into the magazine and try to plan my stage with as many 6-8 round strings as possible between magazine changes. Obviously, this is dependent upon loaded vs unloaded starts and how the stage is actually laid out, but if I can shoot 6 or 7 rounds, rather than 4 or 5, it's better for my hit factor to do so.

In the stage I was referring to, I wasn't planning to do a bunch of extra reloads, but

force of habit overruled my stage plan. However, because I carry a zillion mags, it just made me slow, instead of running dry halfway through.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Safariland 771s. I bought it for $17 each, I think I got a pretty good deal for the quality.

Say, WHERE did you find them for that price???

Optics planet. Every now and then they change their price on a given product. I've actually purchased one 773 for $17.98 plus the 5% coupon about a month ago. Added ELS inner belt for free shipping. I check their website constantly though.

Cop Quest has Safariland 771's for $21 each.

http://www.copquest.com/23-8101_safariland-771-competition-magazine-pouch.htm