Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best shotgun for beginner 3 gun?

Mlussoro

so hard to choose, why does it seem like most of these guns have MAJOR issues? is that cuz they are stock or because people mess with them to much and not by the right person?

I guess next is that some guns will put you in a different division correct? so what divisions are there and what do most suggest for a new 3gunner?

Either making a halfway decent semi auto shotgun is incredibly difficult or most everyone is just not very good at it. Maybe both.

You want to stick with a mag tube shotgun and shoot in either limited or tac optics.

If the 1301 proves to be as reliable as their other auto loaders, it will be hard to beat. I've got a 391 and a 390 with tens of thousand of rounds thru them. Berettas are by far, the most popular semi auto shotguns used in the clay target games. Right out of the box, mine has run flawlessly. If you factor in what all needs to b spent to gt other guns race ready, the Beretta is a pretty good deal.

Next choice would be a SX 3. Every one I've handled ran well. I bought one and set it up for 3 gun, but a friend wanted it and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. They sell for 7-800 locally.

MarkCO I get what you are saying but I noticed that you did not address the wear issue. Would you share what you did with your SLP that allows you to shoot the light loads and not be worried about beating up the action when shooting slugs and buck? Or do you just view this as part of the trade off and accept the reduced round count?

I am breaking in a new SLP with the single piston. I have been able to run the 1145 bird shot through it. The first day it ran it fine. After a cleaning, on a new range day it fussed at me for the first 15-20. Then it ran the next 30 without a hitch. I am thinking I had it a little too wet on a cold day. (I like to break guns in wet and deal with issues, but that is me) This is still box stock.

I have to say it was funny to be on the skeet range with that gun and a load 8.....stepping to the line and doing a twin load from my carbon arms setup. :)

so hard to choose, why does it seem like most of these guns have MAJOR issues? is that cuz they are stock or because people mess with them to much and not by the right person?

I guess next is that some guns will put you in a different division correct? so what divisions are there and what do most suggest for a new 3gunner?

The thing you have to be aware of is that ANY of the three guns you use can bump you into another division. So you might want to consider the rifle and pistol you have, or are planning to buy for three gun, before selecting a shotgun. From what I understand, the rules for what equipment belongs in what division are not necessarily consistent from club to club, and match to match, but for reference sake, here is a link to divisions from the club I sometimes shoot 3-gun at, under "3-gun nation" rules:

http://www.bgslinc.com/modules.php?name=BGSL_Sport_SSPROREV&file=page&load=Home.html

As a beginner, If you don't want to spend alot of money, and want something 100% reliable with any load that chambers, just slap an extended mag tube on a pump shotgun.

I'd suggest you try whatever division you have the most equipment for already.

Edited by johnmac

MarkCO I get what you are saying but I noticed that you did not address the wear issue. Would you share what you did with your SLP that allows you to shoot the light loads and not be worried about beating up the action when shooting slugs and buck? Or do you just view this as part of the trade off and accept the reduced round count?

It took me a while, and I learned a ton from James and from my first SLP. My path on my 2nd SLP: After leaving the action locked open pretty much continuously, 900 rounds of 1250 fps AAs and 150 rounds of 1 ounce 1350 fps slugs, two Glock striker springs on the dog-leg, I could swap to the heavy piston and still run the 1145 AAs 100%.

I'm new to 3 gun and by no means an expert but my Versamax Tactical has treated me well so far. Well, that is until my wife claimed it as hers.

I would say that is a good problem to have! Expensive perhaps, but good.

I have to agree, I love that she is interested. Another plus is she is more understanding when I come home with something new :)

I went through this about a year ago. I wanted a gas gun for the reduced felt recoil but I also wanted reliability. I owned and shot the following guns: Beretta 1201 FP, Remington 1100, Older Benelli M1 and a Mossberg 930, Fabarm XLR Tactical. Finally I got a VMT. To me its the best gun because of the reliability, the soft recoil, the long loading port that allows load 2 reloads. It shoots slugs accurately, it cycles everything I have put through it and the soft recoil just allows me to concentrate on going fast.

I've had 1 shotgun for years. A old M1. Only time it has failed me is when I tightened the mag clamp to tight....not the guns fault. I don't 3 gun as much as some of these guys but we do have some good 3 gunners around here. Around here its pretty much a Benelli or either a Versimax or a JM, mostly benellis. I want to shoot a vinci to see if its worth me going to that over the M1. It would take a lot for me to switch. The gas guns sure do shoot softer but my Benelli just hasn't let me down.

If you and afford to, buy a great 3 gun shotgun and stick with it. A Benelli/? may cost some bucks but you can also usually get some your money back if you decide 3gun is not for you. My Benelli M1 has thousands of rounds through it. Just got a new paint job.

Get a good gun smith to make it ready to compete, that way it will be all your skill and technique. The newer shooters that get good equipment with all the fixings really seem to jump in the scoring.

Edited by roxymajor

Not to pile on, but I would rather see a new 3Gunner buy a $150 pump from the Pawn shop and use that while saving up if need be. At our local matches, I have been giving shooters the option to not shoot the shotgun if they want. That helped a few guys get started and just recently, 3 of them have been able to get one of the fab 5. The frustration of a shotgun that does not run, especially when most new shooters don't get the shotgun, is just too discouraging. There are at least 4 local shooters who went out and bought 930JMs to "get started", 2 pawned them off on other new shooters, one is on its 4th shooter now. One got so frustrated with his $1500 930JM which was only in his hadns for about 4 moths out of the 10 he owned it, that he gave up on 3Gun altogether. There are just so many other things to do in 3Gun that trying to get a shotgun running as a newbie is not worth it.

I am sure if I handed anyone of those local malfunctioning 930JMs to Jerry, or Pat, or Kurt, that they would have them running like a top at a match...if they had to. But those are seasoned pros for which the majority of the game is instinctual at this point, not newbies starting out. Equipment does not make winners, but it sure can make losers.

Yeah, I agree buying a 930 seems to almost be a crap shoot. Maybe it's gotten better, maybe not, can only speak to mine and a few local shooters are using - relatively recent purchases but good success. I'd love to think that Mossberg kicked their QA processes/people hard, but not sure I believe it. I've got a list of some 20 items to check or do on the 930s - overkill for some, but I wouldn't just grab one and run it like a raped ape out of the box, or at least wouldn't expect it to run 100%, although some have.

Compared to my Glock or PPQ pistols for example, there's no contest on ability to run thousands of rounds out of the box vs the 930.

Not having owned a VM or SLP, I can only go by the owners posting here and elsewhere - very few (shot) guns seem truly 100% ready to run out of the box. A quick search for Versamax, SLP or CZ issues on this forum or elsewhere will quickly confirm that, so I can't agree that 'only' 930s have issues out of the box.

I've yet to see anyone with issues on the 1301s, but it's also a new gun, while Benelli 'issues' are low enough to be pretty rare, moreso considering the numbers out there.

It would be great to be able to expect every gun to run out of the box, but meanwhile, money not being an issue, I'd still be passing on the SLP, and looking hard at the new 1301.

It would also be great for some new buyers to do a bit of homework, and at least clean their guns and check for the most common issues before declaring their 'gun won't run,' but that may be asking too much. :D

Good point on the pump gun, though - definitely worth running a few matches and then decide if you 'need' to look at a semi or specialty equipment.

My JM has been reliable enough to take HD duty, but everyone's mileage may vary, and that would suck to buy a gun for 3 gun, regardless of brand, and have it go down on the first match, even if it's an easy fix 'knowing what you don't know,' etc.

Edited by rtp

Not to pile on, but I would rather see a new 3Gunner buy a $150 pump from the Pawn shop and use that while saving up if need be. At our local matches, I have been giving shooters the option to not shoot the shotgun if they want. That helped a few guys get started and just recently, 3 of them have been able to get one of the fab 5. The frustration of a shotgun that does not run, especially when most new shooters don't get the shotgun, is just too discouraging. There are at least 4 local shooters who went out and bought 930JMs to "get started", 2 pawned them off on other new shooters, one is on its 4th shooter now. One got so frustrated with his $1500 930JM which was only in his hadns for about 4 moths out of the 10 he owned it, that he gave up on 3Gun altogether. There are just so many other things to do in 3Gun that trying to get a shotgun running as a newbie is not worth it.I am sure if I handed anyone of those local malfunctioning 930JMs to Jerry, or Pat, or Kurt, that they would have them running like a top at a match...if they had to. But those are seasoned pros for which the majority of the game is instinctual at this point, not newbies starting out. Equipment does not make winners, but it sure can make losers.

Great post!

Not to pile on, but I would rather see a new 3Gunner buy a $150 pump from the Pawn shop and use that while saving up if need be. At our local matches, I have been giving shooters the option to not shoot the shotgun if they want. That helped a few guys get started and just recently, 3 of them have been able to get one of the fab 5. The frustration of a shotgun that does not run, especially when most new shooters don't get the shotgun, is just too discouraging. There are at least 4 local shooters who went out and bought 930JMs to "get started", 2 pawned them off on other new shooters, one is on its 4th shooter now. One got so frustrated with his $1500 930JM which was only in his hadns for about 4 moths out of the 10 he owned it, that he gave up on 3Gun altogether. There are just so many other things to do in 3Gun that trying to get a shotgun running as a newbie is not worth it.I am sure if I handed anyone of those local malfunctioning 930JMs to Jerry, or Pat, or Kurt, that they would have them running like a top at a match...if they had to. But those are seasoned pros for which the majority of the game is instinctual at this point, not newbies starting out. Equipment does not make winners, but it sure can make losers.

Great post!

I concur.

A pumpgun (Benelli Super Nova) is a good place to get your feet wet and learn the game and how to load. You save some money up front to buy the shell holders you will use with your next 3Gun shotgun.

You will not win a Major match with a pumpgun. A newbie will not win a Major in the first year even if I gave them all my current gear! And no one is going to win a Major with a self-loading shotgun that won't bloody WORK!

So just start down the road, enjoy the ride and the great people you'll meet. Test and try their guns, learn by watching and helping your local club run events. In a year or two you will be back here helping to pave the way for the next new guy!

You have lots of good info proffered by my colleagues in the preceding posts. Heed it and then get out and play!