Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A question for all of you LEO's out there...

EEH that looks like a Model 10; my first LEO pistol was a Model 19.

I'm a 40 year LEO and have been retired for 2 years now. I've been

an IPSC shooter since 1979 and still love it. I was a Firearms Instructor

for many years and its true that not all LEO's are gun people. But, my

job was to make them more than familiar with their Duty Weapon and

their Off Duty Weapon. No one got a pass on Qualifications. I introduced

them to IPSC shooting and they all liked it, but of all the men and women

I trained only one took up IPSC or any type of competitive shooting. I believe

that the current crop of LEO's (past 10-15 years) are more gun people than

the LEO's of my generation. When I retired we were down to one Qualification

per year; mainly because of budget. I know it sounds crazy, but true.

Anyway that's my experience.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of our guys and girls know what they carry, because it's on the test ;) and on their qualification card.

Some know how to use this tool very well and some should stay behind their desks, just saying.

I too wish our officers would shoot more.

Had to laugh at this one. You kinda got me. I've been a cop for 17 years and recently have been carrying a CZ 9mm for plain clothes duty. For the life of me I can't remember the model as I read this. I am happy to say that the majority of the department i work for are actually really good shooters. Oh and I'm a GM shooter in limited, limited 10 and single stack. So do I pass or fail.

Had to laugh at this one. You kinda got me. I've been a cop for 17 years and recently have been carrying a CZ 9mm for plain clothes duty. For the life of me I can't remember the model as I read this. I am happy to say that the majority of the department i work for are actually really good shooters. Oh and I'm a GM shooter in limited, limited 10 and single stack. So do I pass or fail.

:roflol::bow: And there you have it. Awesome...

:cheers:

Yep. First pistol I ever carried on duty was a 686. October 1991....

Yes, I recognize these as well. My first duty gun was a Mod 19 did not get a Mod 66 for five years, and then finally a 686. But that said the Automatic was about as reliable as the rhythm method of birth control, so very few LEO had them. JMHO

Knowing only one law enforcement officer (personally) that I have shot IPSC with and here is the story. When we started shooting at our club, IPSC was the red-headed step child. We were never allocated range time during the winter on the heated indoor range as Bullseye, PPC and even an outlaw, no formal rules "combat" league had every weeknight tied up. Weekends were for "open" shooting so club members could use the range.

So we used the barn range. Envision this if you can. The upstairs loft of the 40 foot barn has an angled metal backstop about 12 feet wide by 8 fee tall. The bullets come off of this, going downward into 4 inches of sand. It's tight. The angled roof slopes into the room to make it even more confined.

This gentleman sees how quickly we are shooting and decides that he can shoot just as fast. He hits some of the targets but mainly misses with his duty gun, a Glock 22 (and he knows the make and model!!). He explains that is because he does not have a racegun with a dot. So I lend him mine. I go over the mechanics and he drops the trigger a few times to get used to it, practicing a few draws using my rig.

At the beep, he draws and fires the first round through the ceiling. The RO yells STOP!!!

That was the beginning.

He kept at it and we even went to the Open Nationals together after earning our B cards. Today he's A class in Open and a damn fine shot. He retired from the department and works executive personal security for C-level (CEO, COO, CFO, etc) executives of a nationally know chain.

Yes, there are police officers that know how to shoot and know what they carry!

BC

Edited by BillChunn

Is/was you duty CZ a Production gun? If so, you are clearly useless. LOL :)

It is my production gun. I'm making a project out of training with it this winter and will shoot match's with it this spring. If it makes you feel better if grumpy ever walks up to me and asks what I'm carrying I'll tell him it's a glock : ). Surprisingly it's the most accurate pistol I own.

Well, I hope you make GM with it in Production. Otherwise... :):):)

Scenario change-up: I am the Officer you meet in line at lunch and we talk +P JHP rounds, Glock vs. SIG, Safariland vs. Bianchi, range time and training, and we part ways.

That afternoon I "stop the threat" on duty with my sidearm, and the other party is now deceased, I have gone home to my family.

Another customer in the restaurant watched/overheard our conversation we had earlier, and has some less than complimentary witness statements to make. A criminal and civil cases are filed against me and the judge rules that the witness statements are pertinent, and rules the surveillance video is also pertinent.

How important is it, to have you see that I am "one of you", in the BIG PICTURE of things?

I don't think it has anything to do with being "one of you" it has to do with public safety. Search accidental police shooting. Do the same with youtube. It can be scary and I think people are surprised with the lack of training and proficiency the beginning of which is usually 'this is a Glock'. There are plenty of bad analogies about cars and phones and people get butt hurt but when you aim at a bad guy and hit a bystander people die. It is very very important that you are above proficient. My agency pays out tons of money because we give people a 2 hour class let them shoot 30 rounds at a target 7 yards away then get all shocked when they shoot 5 bystanders trying to take out an inmate. They also shoot ceilings, vehicles, themselves. Its not about being a gun nerd its about not being a threat. This is not cop bashing or anything else it is the truth. If you do not train the hell out of people innocent people get killed. Its not the fault of the officer in question. I saw the same crap in Iraq. Give a cook a five minute class on the ma deuce then throw them in a tower and flip out when they fire a burst into an apartment building on accident.

I'm addressing this scenario, based on the OP's accounting. Whose fault is it if the Officer actually recalled the OP MIGHT be on a BOLO list for firearms related crimes, and had ZERO inclination to discuss his pistol, and who is actually going to know that's what he was thinking about. (Let's discuss that hypothetical scenario.)

Yes, it IS about being one of you. LEOs cannot afford to engage in pro-firearms discussions while on duty, in today's USA, as a non-LE person can stand around McDonalds talking about guns.

Iraq? Shooting up apartment buildings with full auto mil. rifles, gun nerds, shooting innocent bystanders, public safety? Disregard.

I don't think it has anything to do with being "one of you" it has to do with public safety.