Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P16-40 re-release?

Iggy42

Since my goal for this year after I get my shotgun finished for 3-gun (should happen by end of Jan.) is to switch to a 1911/2011 I have been wondering if anyone knows when the new P-16s are supposed to come out? The Para site just says coming soon, but they have an MSRP listed for the standard and the TT custom.

I admit I have long drooled over an Edge, but since I'm not using custom ammo yet the Paras caught my eye. Course if a Para needs custom long loads like STI's do I would have a hard time not just saving my pennies for an Edge since I am a big fan of long dust covers.

Any info would be great since my google foo is not working lately and I am finding nothing.

Mine runs whatever I put in it up to 1.190 , My STI will run up to 1.200 it also is not finicky with ammo.

I shoot the Para better I believe because it has some weight in the grip..

Either way you should be fine buy/make alot of ammo and shoot it a bunch and the rest will be as they say , history

good fortune

This is kind of a trick question as most guns run fine with their factory setup. With Limited class guns, most people at least lighten the springs and then issues start to jump up. Completely stock, yeah, the P16-40 runs short loads ok . . . My older version with a conventional extractor actually didn't run anything ok initially, because the extractor tension wasn't set properly. After setting it, it was pretty reliable . . . standard factory 1911 I suppose. A jam about every few hundred rounds. After lightening the recoil spring to 11 pounds, it would often fail to feed. So, I tuned the mags to feed better.

Then, I shaped the ejector to get rid of some of the rarer jams. Then, I put in a Ed Brown extractor when the standard extractor broke. Then, I put in a Ed Brown hardcore firing pin stop because the stock stop would allow the extractor to occasionally clock and contribute to one of those rarer jams I was talking about. After putting in a 19 pound mainspring, it would sometimes fail to fire with factory primers, so I removed the series 80 safety components to allow the firing pin to work with less friction. This worked and alleviated the failures to fire. I then put in a longer firing pin to further alleviate any chance of failing to ignite.

You can have a reliable piece, but to make almost anything competition reliable when you're firing 500 rounds over two days, is a bit more work.

Oh, and my P16-40 definitely prefers longer loads, but it will run anything thanks to the tuned mags. I should also mention, the Pro-mags are made of cheap garbage (hence the reason they are only 20 bucks), so prying open the feed lips caused a crack in the mag body on 3 out of the 5 mags. It hasn't affected function of the mags over 3000 plus rounds. That being said, if you want pro mags to function in dirt and sand, stronger magazine springs are needed.

The STI's will run short rounds too if you just open the feed lips on the mags.

I almost forgot to mention! After tuning the mags, I then had to modify the slide stop so the slide didn't lock back early.

Edited by Whoops!

My older version with a conventional extractor actually didn't run anything ok initially, because the extractor tension wasn't set properly. After setting it, it was pretty reliable . . .

Problem is my stock extractor was a cast piece of crap that wouldn't hold a set. At least they supplied me with a new one.... that wasn't much better. If their extractors are still the same, that's the first part to replace.

The P16-40 I bought 14 or 15 years ago runs fine with factory ammo. I had to use long-loaded ammo when I switched to an Ed Brown bull barrel. But I've since switched back to the factory barrel so I can run my ammo in any of my .40 caliber guns, and not have to have "Para only" ammo.

Pretty much all of my mags had to have the feed lips opened up, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in contact with PARA for awhile because they seem to have fallen off the map. I got a response that there was a hold on almost everything due to the fact that Remington bought them out. Apparantly during this month, JAN 2014, they will be releasing a bunch of new stuff. I'm keeping my eyes peeled and my ears open. I'm a huge fan of the 1640 and am looking forward to something sweet from them. Haven't seen much since the TJ40 and 16LIM.

I think there may be something else going on here. They could have designed a new mag from scratch months ago. Travis has quit giving any eta for any of the Para lineup to come, and i also heard that IF the 16-40 is rereleased, it will be in very limited numbers. Like less than 200. Sure doesn't seem to make much sense. The Pro Custom 14-45 is everywhere and didn't require a redesign. I have a 14-45 Limited and other than the ionbond finish, it's basically the exact same gun. I found a new in the box 16-40 on GB and that will be my new limited backup gun. I've been told you can get a modified mag catch to run STI mags in a Para. My .40 STI mags fit nice in my 14-45 but the slot in the mag is too loose. I like the frame on a Para widebody and hope to get a 16-40 Pro custom or Tomassie Custom some day. But I'm not holding my breath though....

The hot tip for 3 gun would be a Para 18-9. Dawson extensions would give you 22-23 rounds. Only problem is there harder to find then the 16-40. I really wonder what's up at Para. Freedom group bought out both Remington and Para, so I don't think that's the issue. Could be lack of financial resources maybe? One can only guess. They just released a LDA Expert for concealed carry. Maybe the competition market isn't that lucrative.

They used to be hot shit back in the day. Around 2002, I saw so many team Para jerseys. They had everyone sponsored. Now, they sponsor about 3 people and you never hear from them anymore. Guess that's why Todd Jarret left and went to Sig. I'm starting to lose my confidence in them. I hope they something big and something great.....soon!

Travis has been shooting his new pro custom 16-40 and tomasie custom for a while now. So whats the hold up on us commoners 16\40.?

I think im just going to go single stack and use the pro comp .40

• 4 weeks later...