Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Infants on airplanes.

IPSCDRL

Michael's third immutable law of business travel states; “If there is an infant on the airplane, it WILL scream, It WILL kick, and it will be seated directly in front or behind me! :angry:

Some day I really am going to start carrying a roll of duct tape in my laptop bag. :ph34r:

“Lady, if you can’t keep that kid from kicking the back of my seat, I WILL!”

feel your frustration...actually I have figured out ways to tune out toddlers and infants..IPOD or DVD with headset..

but what I do hate are the people that sit in front or back ..recline all the way back or grab the back of you seat to get up and down all the time..I am like sit the f$#% down and stay down..

anyway..we got lucky and our kids travel really well..most people cringe when they see us coming..but are pleasantly surprised when they fall asleep or quietly play the whole trip..

As a father of a 21-month old boy, I get pestered quite a bit by my travel-agent sister to come visit with my son, as kids under the age of 2 get to fly free.

You think its bad, its worse when its your own kid, and you feel powerless to console them when nothing works to calm them down. Since they can't really talk to tell you what their problem is, their only method of communication is to cry.

but what I do hate are the people that sit in front or back ..recline all the way back or grab the back of you seat to get up and down all the time

I know this is topic drift, but one of the few (!) advantages to spending a lot of time on airplanes, is knowing which seats to select.

If stuck in coach, for example, on a 737, go for the rearmost of the two over-wing exit-aisle rows. You get lots of leg-room, *you* can recline, and the seat in front of you is blocked so it *can't* recline.

[/drift mode]

bruce

If stuck in coach, for example, on a 737, go for the rearmost of the two over-wing exit-aisle rows. You get lots of leg-room, *you* can recline, and the seat in front of you is blocked so it *can't* recline.

Babies and small children also aren't allowed in exit rows..

IT'S NOT THE CHILD'S FAULT. Small children simply can't equalize their ears well through the pressure changes.

Give the parent the duct tape and tennis ball treatment...right after poking their eardrum with a pencil so they can fully understand the torture they're needlessly putting their kids through.

I know this is topic drift, but one of the few (!) advantages to spending a lot of time on airplanes, is knowing which seats to select.

[/drift mode]

bruce

Yeah, I sometimes get those seats as well, but the problem then becomes the reduced width of the seat due to the tray table being below the arm rest. My frame barely fits in a standard coach seat. :o

I just picked up a pair of noise cancelling headphones and they make a huge difference. I refused to pay $200 for the Bose units but I like the PlaneQuiet ones I picked up for ~$50 from TravelGear.com

do we have only childless singles here??? Give the child something to drink on the way up and down, that will equalize ear pressure and he/she is happier and a better seat neighbor than that 350+lb lady that always seems to get the seats next to me... :(

No, no, no, no!!!!! Don't tell people about exit seats! If not for exit seats or bulkhead seats, those of us with long legs could never fly.

Amen!!! FYI - on ATA's 737/800's seats 16A & 16F rock, row 15 is an exit, but is narrow.

Get a pair of Noise Cancelling earphones like those from Aiwa or Panasonic. It makes a big, big difference. Best $50 I spent. I've heard (no pun intended) that the Bose units are the mutt's nuts, but I've never "heard" them either because they're $300.

Adults who either have infants and chose not to impose them on others, or who do not have infants, don't always understand why they should be expected to bear the impact of other people's kids.

We could move on to a discussion of putting kids in diapers in public pools :)

Yea Rob, I have raised one son and I made sure he was respectfull of other people and you are correct I don't understand why I should be patient with other parents kids running and screaming down the isle while their parents are watching a movie with head sets on.

Ericw,

You are correct it's not the kids fault.

Ivan

We used to fly (very small aircraft at the time) from SFO to west central Washington State (Chehalis, if you must know--that's where the airport is) and my mom taught be how to 'clear' my ear-pressure problem early in life so it wasn't what bothered me. The motion sickness up there was what 'got' me...!! [insert almost-puking emoticon here]

But then, I was a well-behaved little kid who was quiet on trains, planes and in restaurants. I saw no reason to screw off like a maniacal whirling dervish in public. <_<

EarPlanes. They make them in pediatric and adult sizes. A flight attendant gave me a set once a few years ago and now I won't fly without them. I have suffered from chronic ear pain when flying all my life. It was a big part of the reason I stopped travelling by air.

They are specialized ear plugs that help regulate ear pressure. Not entirely sure how they work, just know that they do work. They run around $8 a pair and are only good for a few flights but they are worth the cost. The do block some sound but I can still hear my MP3 player through them just fine. Follow the directions or they don't work as well as they could.

Noise cancelling headphones are on my Christmas list.

Last time I was flying back from NY I was sitting on the tarmac at DTW with 2 empty seats next to me. Last person to board is a young lady with a 6 month old baby...yep...my row. Damn!

But, as soon as the engines started she started breastfeeding the kid. By the time we leveled out the kid was asleep. When we started our decent breastfeeding resumed. Totally silent kid the entire trip.

Turned out she was a single mom business woman. Rather than farm out the kid, she took the kid with her on business trips. Everyone around us was thanking her for the quiet trip as we got off the plane. No shortage of hands to help carry her bags or the stroller either.

I have had the other end of that experience too. :(

You just need to train the little ones. Both of mine have been flying since they were 6 mo. old and could qualify for frequent flyer programs now. I refuse to get strapped down until they are mini-adults. The only thing you would have to worry about with my 2 yr. old is having him slip back and steal the olives out of your martini. :D