Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for CZ's. 124's a Myth?

Smitty79

I have used 147s and 125s in SP 01 both work fine. I have noticed that the CZs seem to have short chambers.

These are what I run 147 and 124, they will shoot a 1 to 1.5 inch group at 75 feet all day long. One of my CZ also had s short chamber.

in my particular SP01 Shadow every 115 or 124 I have tried has excellent accuracy (mostly factory loads, also Matt Minks 124 plated load and my own 124 MG JHP load). I have tried one 135 load and several 147 loads with distinctly less accuracy. Just depends what works best in your gun.

Eric

I just purchased a Target Shadow and I am able to shoot the same load in it as in my Stock II. I use xtreme 124gr rn plated bullet and after getting the sight adjusted accordingly it was very easy to shoot one ragged hole. I used to shoot 147gr mg bullets but my old shadow didn't like them at all.

I have heard from the old guy at the range, who owns 7 CZ's, and I have seen in several forums that CZ's are most accurate with 124 grain bullets. Myth or fact? When I look at the bullets Matt Mink sells for competition, I think I should go heavier to start. I have shot his Berry's 147's. My favorite ammo so far. Just a touch better than his BBI 135's.

My new year's resolution is to start reloading and I am thinking about what bullet's to work up first. Current plan is BBI 147s.

I have a modified CZ85. My son has a stock 75 and an SP01 Shadow Target. If I work up a good load for my gun, should I expect it to be good in both of his?

I have shot Mink's 147's, 135's, and 115's. The 115's were the most accurate in my shadow.

I've been using these in a CZ SP-01.

Bayou 147gr 3.3gr N320 at 1.14

Bayou 160gr 3.0gr N320 at 1.16

I used a sharpie on the bullets, and turned them in the chamber to

see where they rubbed the lands, then backed off a little.

To all you guys loading to just off the lands, have you tried loading shorter? I can load my 124 and 135 Frontier RNs out to 1.140", but accuracy sucks and I have feed issues when the gun gets a little dirty. Loaded at 1.070" (for the 124) I get vastly better accuracy and much better reliability.

I do load my rifles just off the lands, but have found my CZ likes shorties.

My 2c.

To long a thread to read. The CZ Shadow is a great gun. All 9mm are designed around a 124gn bullet. I use 125 bear creeks and it is spot on. The best price you can get. I use RN 125gr 231 4.0 OAL 1.063 that is short. The O give on BC RN is rough with the short lands on the CZ. When I started loading cost was my concern. I am going to try the vent 320 and zero soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see any measurable accuracy or reliability difference when I tested MG 124 JHPs vs. MG 147 CMJ in my SP-01 Shadow Target. I didn't spend mush time developing a perfect load for the 147s and stopped once I hit a comfortable PF but I shot them side by side with 124s at roughly 131-132 PF and didn't see a noticeable difference on the clock or feel much difference i the gun. I ultimately went with the 124s just because I got 750 more rounds for the same price as the 147s.

• 6 months later...

The Cz has a 1:9.7 twist barrel ... My understanding is that that twist would give the best accuracy with a longer bullet (not talking C.O.A.L ) the longer bullet (the part of the bullet that actually contacts the barrel) which is usually the heavier bullet. After that the bullet has to have the correct profile... Tons of variables here ... But I would say that the longer bullet has the most potential to be the most accurate. My current load is 147 with N320

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have a 75B converted to SAO coming and plan on shooting 147 gr xtreme round nose, 3.1 titegroup with an overall length of 1.150 which seems a much longer oal that everyone else is posting.....

Should I expect issues? This round works awesome in my tuned G34, but do you think i need to go shorter for reliable function in the CZ75B?

I've been loading normal roundnose bullets (124 and 147, from extreme and other suppliers) to 1.15 for years, and never had the slightest issue in my 75bd or my p01. I do have to go much shorter on truncated-cone or flat point or xtp bullets, but the roundnoses load just fine. It was a long time ago when I tested, but the 124's would work at considerably longer than 1.15 for me.