Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do with unwanted reloads?

Hatchet

My father has decided to part with his reloading setup because of his advanced age and lack of interest. He has THOUSANDS of rounds of mostly pistol caliber ammo, most of it lead, in ammo cans, ready to go. What on earth should I do with all of this? For a moment I envisioned myself pulling all of them with my $20 inertial puller. Just a moment.

Good excuse to buy more guns. I would chrono random rounds and if they're safe use them in a high round weekend course or live fire training. If you don't have a chrono you can reverse engineer a few-measure OAL, pull the bullet and weigh it, then weigh the powder charge and compare to known load data (if you know what powder is used). Try a new division. Possibilities are endless.

Edited by Lifeislarge

I'm sure Dad was good at reloading. Why not pull apart a sample of each and weigh the components. If they are consistent then shoot and chrono. Did Dad ever keep a loading diary? Most of us addicts at least remember what powder we liked to use. You'll get the recipe by puling and weighing. Check OAL first. If Dad has any reloading manuals around they may have notes in them.

I got a rifle and some handloads from my great uncle George. I will shoot them myself with out reservation but I wouldn't let anyone else. Uncle was so meticulous even his weed eater string had measurements written on the box! Shoot them if you trust the loader.

Edited by sroe3

All good advice. i wouldn't allow anyone else to shoot them. There's just so darn many. Cans and cans and cans. I don't even want to move them all. Sigh. Thankfully he didn't load them all, so I have a bunch of lead that I can probably easily sell.

Are all these the same caliber? If they're something you can use, you could first plunk test them to see if the OAL works for you. If it passes that, work up to the loading on the box using the components he has to see if it's safe. If all is well, you could then try a few rounds and see if they work alright. It might also be a good idea to check what powder was used and how much since some are more forgiving than others.

There's just so darn many. Cans and cans and cans. I don't even want to move them all. Sigh. Thankfully he didn't load them all, so I have a bunch of lead that I can probably easily sell.

I've never heard somebody be sad about having that much ammo! Go shoot em up (provided they're safe and all that)!

A few years back a friend gave me a several hundred .45 hand loads he picked up at a gun show. I only accepted them to keep him from shooting them because I've heard some of the vendors at gun shows and it's scary. I'll never shoot them, I like my guns and I'm allergic to pain.