Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Mags

nelly

Hi All, Picking up a Mossberg MVP 5.56 Bolt Action. It uses AR Mags, whats the best Mags to buy ? If anyone owns this Rifle that has bought AR Mags let me know if there's any problems. All help is greatly appreciated.. :cheers:

I recently picked up a threaded 18.5" version and while I haven't fired it yet I did try all the different types of mags I had to see how they fit and locked up.

I found:

GI - all fit and locked up fine

Lancer - I had some of these for my .458 SOCOM and they fit and locked up fine since they have metal feed lips . The smoked version goes well with the color scheme and looks cool. :D

P-mag - Because these have plastic feed lips they are thicker and cause issues with the mag locking up in the magwell. I have seen where some have been able to have Pmags work but he ones I had didn't for me. They are real close and I am sure you could shave off some of the top radius off the lips to make them work but since I have the Lancers I am planning on using those.

Neal in AZ

In case I wasn't clear in my first post, go with Lancer!

As I said, I tried one out for use in my .458 SOCOM and really liked them and bought more. I just did an order from a site vendor for some of the smoked 10 rounder's which will be perfect in the MVP.

Neal in AZ

Which Vendor Neal, I'd like to get a couple of Lancer 10's I picked up a Plain Jane 30 rounder with a non tilting follower made by Mag-Pul (all metal body) & a plain jane 20 rounder(all metal body) with the green follower.

I got them from Shooters Source, a vendor here in the vendor section. He has a thread on his sale in his section in the vendor tent. Has a 20% off everything right now so I picked up a few of the 10 rd Lancers, 10 rd Pmags for my varmint AR and a 40 rd Pmag to try out since I haven't tried one yet.

Neal in AZ

I'm prejudiced because I work for Brownells, but I've never had a problem with our aluminum mags. I use the green followers almost exclusively and have no problems. I have two that are in one of our couplers - been using them for 4 or 5 years, same springs/followers - plus one of our 20-rd for short stages. I've used others that customers returned as "bad", they run fine too. I did buy a couple of our tan follower, current GI spec off the internet and they work fine too.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine put together and was able to start breaking it in.

Mine is the 18.5" threaded barrel model and I put a spare Miculek brake on it I had lying around and put a Nikon P-223 scope with the BDC on it. Just breaking it in with some misc ball ammo as this has a 5.56 chamber. Now I will work up some loads with good brass and bullets.

Here is a pic with a 20 rd Lancer in it. Sorry it is small, I am having problems with inserting links for pics?

Neal in AZ

post-922-0-71941500-1386793897_thumb.jpg

Edited by Intel6

+1 on brownell's mags. Great warranty and customer service, good price. I buy 100 at a time and sell them for $12.50 each. If customers drop, ding, or break them I swap them out for a new one and send the bad ones back to Brownells. They have replaced all of them without question. I must say tho, half the ones brought back workerd fine in my rifles and I kept em instead of returning.

Neal, Nice pic, you have everything looking real good.I took mine out to function test several of the mags I got.The 10 rd Mossberg Mag functioned well and STAYED IN THE MAGWELL- the 20 round GI with the green follower fell out after the 20th round-the 30 round DSG Mag also fell out after the last round when I pulled the bolt back. I just received my 10 round Lancer so I wasn't able to test it'I will next week.The MVP itself shoots real well, pretty accurate even with the scope that came on it from Mossberg.I'm just frustrated that those mags would drop out after both the last rounds while pulling the bolt back. The mag catch seems a little loose in the well.

I have been using the same two 30 round windowed Pmags years now. But I have recently also began using 40 round Pmags. No problems. Funny things is that I kept buying Pmags for years, but I have yet to wear one out. ;)