Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 for 3 gun?

Naka16

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot an 1100CM for a long time when this game was a little bit new and it did fine for me. When the FN came out, I got one because everyone said I had to have one. Now the FN is nice, but if I had to go back to the 1100, I'd do it in a minute and not worry about it too much. Is it the best? No, but I bet it's better than most shooters out there. Shoot the fool out of that shotgun, and when it breaks, or you get better than it is, you will know what you want.

I started with an 1100 and it was a great place to start. I think I was consistently finishing top 3 in local matches and moved into open class before I felt the need to upgrade. Final straw was when the bolt carrier broke this summer during a match. But, it had many, MANY rounds through it by then. Make sure the interceptor latch doesn't have too much free play (Brownell's sells thicker retainers if it's loose), add a mag tube and speed latch, and shoot it til you can go faster than it can. In the meantime, shoot at matches and try out as many different shotguns as you can sweet-talk your way into. Most guys are proud of whatever they have settled on, and more than happy to let a new shooter try out their stuff, as long as you bring your own shells. Then, you won't be dropping coin 'til you have a better idea what suits you.

Good to hear that the 1100 does work for some. I'd hate to throw all of this stuff on te new sporting model, is it worth doing to the std 20 that I have? Or are the 20 ga rounds not powerful enough for the steel? I already have a poly choked 26" barrel on it

I have a JP built 1100 for open division. Works like a dream, never had any issues with the gun. In comparison to my Benelli M2, it is heavy but it absorbs recoil a whole lot better than the M2. Shot recovery is also better than the M2.

Good to hear that the 1100 does work for some. I'd hate to throw all of this stuff on te new sporting model, is it worth doing to the std 20 that I have? Or are the 20 ga rounds not powerful enough for the steel? I already have a poly choked 26" barrel on it

You have your answer. Take your 20ga 1100, add a 10+1 magazine extension like THIS, and go race. You may want to add an EZ Loader to speed up your loading (IIRC the 12ga version can be modified to fit).

Longer term, the concerns with 20ga will be ammo selection (notably buckshot, which is not so common), and the smaller size of the loading port (depending on how fat your fingers are). Nothing that will hold you back to start with.

I don't know what all the 1100 loading issues are??? I have no trouble using the load two method with mine. I opened the load port and trimmed the forks on the ez loader and it works fine.

It's fine, it just isn't as fast as other options like the Versamax with a much larger loading port. Also, before I had my loading port opened up and beveled, the second shell tended to get caught when I did load two.

Edited by californiasushi

Poly choke may put you in open class. Better ask MD before the match.

I started shooting 3gun matches this year with my old Sportsman 12 pump. After the first match I realized an auto loader was a definite need. One of the guys I squad with owns a gun shop and had an 1100 that was set up for 3gun ( synthetic stock, 22" barrel, dmw lifter, oversize safety, opened up loading port, screw in chokes, fiber optic sights, and +4 tube). He had used it for 5-6 matches in 2012 with zero issues, and upgraded to FNH. The previous owner(who built it) had used it for several years of 3G. So this thing has been USED A LOT. No blueing left hardly, and the action is almost sloppy for lack of a better term. But I gotta say after using it for my last 4 matches it performed great. I use Federal bulk from WM, and use Hornady Dry lube as a quick lube before a match and no issues. Shot a nice doe with it a couple weeks ago too ;- ) it's gonna get sandblasted and a new paint job (duracoat or??)over the winter and plan on using it again in 2014. I decided to try 3 gun with what I had (Glock 19, Windham AR with a Primary Arms 1-4, and the old pump) then prioritize what was my greatest handicap. An auto loader for me was first. Just picked a nice used MTAC this week. Looking at a Glock 34, or Rock Island 2011 for 2014?? Go give 3gun a try, have fun, then upgrade as funds permit.

If you have a 1100 (or any of the other sub-par shotguns), sure, use them and when you can, move on up to par. However, in good conscience, I could not recommend buying an 1100 FOR 3Gun. The guys who do run them and get them to work usually have a pretty good understanding of the system and inherent issues, and maintain them well. But that is not the norm. Worrying about reliability in the SG is not worth saving $300. When you consider you will spend $1k to $2K to shoot a major, what is $300 more on a shotgun that will work reliably for many years?

I ran an 1100 until I could guy an Benelli. I now leave the extra 1100 parts box and the rebuilding tools at home on the shelf.

If that's all you have then run it and have fun for now but start thinking of upgrading if you want to be competitive. The 20 ga will handicap you on longer shots and stuff like slugs on a double spinner.

• 2 weeks later...

what parts break on an 1100 or 11-87 I have shot a ton of rounds through both of these guns. Not in a 3 gun match... I guess that is harder on them than blasting away at ducks or doves, but I have never broken anything. I just decided to shoot an 11-87 in some 3 gun matches so what parts do I need to have?

Ran an 11-87 for my first 3 gun match and traded it within a week for an M2 and have never looked back. As others have noted, the 1100/11-87 is great for the dove fields or pheasant shoot, but if you want to play strong you've got to have a scattergun that loads fast, shoots fast and has zero reliability issues. The 11-87 loading gate button and fragile O rings were a deal breaker for me, for 3 gun.

ok, o-rings? Thats it? I have never broken one but I do have a couple of spares. What else?

The only part besides the o ring that I have replaced on my 1100 is the interceptor latch retainer. Get the 3 pack from Brownells because it comes with varying thicknesses. I suggest going ahead and replacing it with the thickest one. The Brownells retainer seems stronger to me and should be less likely to remove itself from the gun in the middle of a stage. ;)

Edited by Ryan N

The biggest problem with the 1100 is if you can make it run good is that you can out cycle it very easily. To get mine to work I had to cut the Dave's metalworks loader about half the normal length. After opening up the loading port, and rounding the lift gate a little, just like you would a Versa Max, I can load 10 rounds into it in 6 to 7 seconds using the load two method. Mine will work if I wait for it to cycle, meaning feel the bolt fully close and the rounds to fall against the stop in the mag tube before pulling the trigger again.

My 1100 is a 28 inch with a plus 7 tube making it a 11 and one gun. I am waiting for the funds to move up to a Versa Max in the near future too.

Forgot the most important thing, I know that I will never be one of the top shooters, but damn I have fun shooting 3 Gun.

ok, o-rings? Thats it? I have never broken one but I do have a couple of spares. What else?

The only part besides the o ring that I have replaced on my 1100 is the interceptor latch retainer. Get the 3 pack from Brownells because it comes with varying thicknesses. I suggest going ahead and replacing it with the thickest one. The Brownells retainer seems stronger to me and should be less likely to remove itself from the gun in the middle of a stage. ;)
But once you get to the thickest, the gun is done. That boss is part of the receiver. Went thru two 1100's over the years. No more remmys.