Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Safe

mhoosier

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I debated this very thing last Christmas and ended up sectioning off a section of a large storage area in my basement and building a gun/reloading room. I couldn't see spending the money on a huge 64 gun safe just to find that the collection wouldn't fit.

I debated this very thing last Christmas and ended up sectioning off a section of a large storage area in my basement and building a gun/reloading room. I couldn't see spending the money on a huge 64 gun safe just to find that the collection wouldn't fit.

Did you put in some kind of "safe" door? I've often thought that would be the perfect answer. Like a bank's walk in valt.

doin this right now, two block walls in the corner of my block walled basement, a steel door, and steel roof... i can put all kinds of gun racks in it and all my ammo and reloading stuff as well, best idea i ever had.

doin this right now, two block walls in the corner of my block walled basement, a steel door, and steel roof... i can put all kinds of gun racks in it and all my ammo and reloading stuff as well, best idea i ever had.

plus its just cool.

Liberty is probably the best quality for the money. Get the kind with hinges on the outside.

wouldnt you want the hinges on the inside?

not that it should matter either way if the locking lugs go all the way around the door.

I am the opposite of the go big. I like a nice 24 gun safe size. Its not so big that it is a pain to move into the house and is a good size and capacity. If you fill it up, add a second one. If someone wants to steal the guns make them work to get into 2 safes to get the collection as opposed to just one.

I went through the search earlier this year and ended up with a Fort Knox 6637 with the door and body upgrades. 1/4" body and 1/2" door steel plates (not total thickness.) It was a little on the spendy side but I'm a stubborn 'buy once, cry once' consumer.

I have a smaller Liberty that's similar in quality but I would go with the Fort Knox.